Bandai 1/144th Millennium Falcon from SW, TFA

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
You are doing a GREAT JOB on this project!!!
Thanks. I'll try to get some pics of "shrinking" the LED strip to make a better light source for the engine.

The engine exhaust grill unlit...
Millenium Falcon 071.jpg

Lit by just 3 LEDs from the strip in blue mode.
flash on,
Millenium Falcon 072.jpg

and flash off.
Millenium Falcon 073.jpg

The "hot spots" from the 3 LEDs is apparent.

micahrogers

Staff member
Thanks for all the encouragement guys, it helps more than you can know.

Today 15Sept2022, I must add a Happy Birthday to my wife, and youngest stepson... Happy Birthday to Bobbi, and Ryan!

For the update, I was up at 0430 with stomach problems, so I haven't done much today... New soldering iron made it, a cheap Ryobi 18V soldering station, but man it solders.
These are 12V RGB LEDS from a mood lighting kit, 3 in the cockpit, and these thre will light the gun tubs, and boarding ramp.
Millenium Falcon 074.jpg

I solder both ends of these three, cause, the other elements will get thier power from this one. I soldered solid copper wire across all three terminals on one end, and only to B on the other.
Millenium Falcon 075.jpg
Millenium Falcon 076.jpg

Then folded so that an LED points up, one down and one into the ramp.
Millenium Falcon 077.jpg
Also in the above pic, you can see my main power coming up thru the lower gun shield, immediately aft of the stand mount. I am going to pose it in left banking climb.

Then 12 LEDS get folded up, and taped together to light the engine grill. You can see the process I use to fold them here.
Millenium Falcon 078.jpg

I'll get pictures of the work on the stand tomorrow.

micahrogers

Staff member
Now a, hopefully brief, interlude, the stand...
I have added the battery pack, and switch to the 'sand base' Bandai provides, Cut a 7" circular plaque from Wally World to accept the battery pack as well, and mated the two together.
First coat of Vallejo Plastic Putty to blend the seam..
Stand 01.jpg
Stand 02.jpg

This is going to take multiple layers of putty to blend it in...
I', also encasing the power wire that runs up the support base in the putty.
Stand 03.jpgStand 04.jpgStand 05.jpgStand 06.jpg

I'm sanding high spots, filling low spots, till it looks okay.

micahrogers

Staff member
"Wally World" if the fictional theme park in the movie, National Lampoons, Vacation. It is also my colloquial euphemism for Wal-Mart Super Centers...

micahrogers

Staff member
work on the model is at a stop waiting on a new bottle of AV Vallejo black primer.... So I took the base outside and played with the camera on my new S22 Ultra...
Stand 18.jpgStand 19.jpgStand 20.jpgStand 21.jpgStand 22.jpg

Amazon should deliver the primer by Tuesday, and I can get back too work on the Falcon.

Chuffy70

Great fence skills between those two trees - and it sucks having to wait for bits so you can carry on (I'd start another model) :biggrin:

micahrogers

Staff member
Yea, those two trees are kinda cool, they've bent the crap outta the fence...But I get to continue tomorrow. My primer arrived today actually...
I use those two trees and one growing out of the neighbors fence, to hang my hammock between...