Large Rolls-Royce Wraith.

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Wow..and you marked all your seams, in Blender? I am impressed! NICE!!! and 314 mm long!!! NICE NICE!!

Reactions: xaero892

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Jun 10, 2016
Chichester
I marked the seams in pepakura as I find it a lot easier. Some parts still need changing around afterwards but on the whole it works for me. I can also choose where to put the glue flaps if using any.

I'm going to use cocktail sticks or similar to reinforce the hinges and maybe dowel for the lower door strut. Hopefully everything will line up.

I'm wondering if there would be a way to mirror everything for the right-hand door and just adjust the hinges to fit. That would save a lot of time and effort. ;)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I can't use Pepakura. I guess I'm stuck in Rhino mode, I just never gave it enough effort. I do appreciate what people do with Pepakura though. Your really making something special here. :)

Gandolf50

Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
I marked the seams in pepakura as I find it a lot easier. Some parts still need changing around afterwards but on the whole it works for me. I can also choose where to put the glue flaps if using any.

I'm going to use cocktail sticks or similar to reinforce the hinges and maybe dowel for the lower door strut. Hopefully everything will line up.

I'm wondering if there would be a way to mirror everything for the right-hand door and just adjust the hinges to fit. That would save a lot of time and effort. ;)

... I see, I mark mine in Blender, then break and reassemble in Pep I find that where I want large sections to STAY together, seams in Blender work better... but then Pep has a mind of its own! In Pepakura Designer 4 there is the function to Mirror Inversion the Mesh and 2d unfold... ie: the whole sheet should work for you.

Just did a check... YES! it does a complete l-r r-l Mirror on 3d and 2d, so once you have the door page complete and saved... reload, and select all in unfold side, then under OTHER select Mirror/Inversion... save as R or L door ( which-other it is).

Last edited:

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Jun 10, 2016
Chichester
Sweet, I'll try that later. Thanks very much.

The best thing about this forum is that everyone is prepared to help everyone else where they can.

Thank you all for your invaluable advice and tips. :):):):Drinks::King:

*I have now tried it and it works like a charm. Just need to check hinge alignment when building.*

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
This is one heckuva model you have here. The detail is amazing! Those wheels are incredible! It will take some commitment to build, but what a vehicle to end up with! :)

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Jun 10, 2016
Chichester
Thanks guys, I still have the most intricate parts to do. The external bodywork, interior, chromework and engine bay. Once these are all sorted I should be able to begin printing. I think I'm going to start with the interior so that everything else will fit around it.

20181028_202035.jpg 20181028_202101.jpg 20181028_202259.jpg 20181028_202142.jpg

Reactions: lyter1958

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Jun 10, 2016
Chichester
This is one heckuva model you have here. The detail is amazing! Those wheels are incredible! It will take some commitment to build, but what a vehicle to end up with! :)

@zathros there's something I forgot to mention. I have been informed that I can distribute the templates to anyone on the forum who wishes to give it a go. If there is any interest I shall create instructions from photos taken during the build phase, trying to be as clear as possible with explanations.

But please be patient, as it may take a while.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Who told you that? I would seriously advise against it. You will end up with parts everywhere, and, from past experience, a large group will never do anything with the sections. From a builder/designer point of view, you want input from people who actually build the subsections. This is done by getting interested parties to give you their email and sending them parts. This way, you know if they are not serious or not. I don't want parts or models posted in threads, it makes the threads harder to handle, someone won't know if they have "Rev. 1" or "Rev. 2", etc. Better to get a small dedicated group of two or three people than many who do nothing, and do it off forum, where you have absolute control.

I'm not sure who told you that was O.K., but it is something I frown upon, unless done in private off of the forum, where you can do whatever you wish. Think how the thread would look with people posting their builds of the sections, some just getting it wrong, and the continuity of the thread getting lost. The integrity of the thread would dissolve. I would implore you to do this on a private, off forum basis, so you can get a serious group of people who wish to participate. If a person is not willing to share an email address with you, then they aren't worth trusting with all your effort.

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Jun 10, 2016
Chichester
Sorry, I meant to reference a previous post where you asked if I would be allowed to share the model. I have asked my boss and he said yes.

That's definitely some good advice though and worth considering. Thank you. :)

Once again, sorry for the confusion.

Gandolf50

Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Yep, and as soon as it is posted it will be on every scanned papercraft site in the world! Yep even if the OK was given, small groups or links directly, like Google Drive, something along those lines.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I know there are people on the forum you could trust do do some beta builds, but you seem to really have a handle on it. Gandolf is the most talented designer/ builder, that I have ever seen. He is in a class of his own, and he's in on this thread. That is one bastion of knowledge right there for you.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Knowing that you can share this model when your ready is a great thing!! This is going to be one of those models that many people will want. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That's the case with UHU's models. For all the bellyaching, and hard time people gave me about them, very few were actually made, on any forum. Many are sitting on hard drives. I gave out two models to Beta builders who never built them. That pissed me off, from that point on, I decided I would help people design models, but I wasn't putting any out. That may change some day, but not any time soon, but I have too much going on to mess around with paper models right now, like rebuild my Tornado damaged home. I'd lik to get at some point where I could just do that, but I don't see that happening for years. This forum takes at least an hour a day, sometimes a lot more. ;)