Large Rolls-Royce Wraith.

xaero892

Mad Modeller
There are still some elements of "old" England hidden around, but on the whole it's going downhill. And that's about all I'm going to say on that.

Don't want to be breaking the rules. ;)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
I like you have a nice sized family. I spent 2.5 months in England back in 1974. I am told that England no longer exist. I hope parts are left, but I do have a special feeling for England, I always have, and when i got the scholarship to go there, it was a dream come true. Fish 'n Chips were 14p back then, served up in Rolls up newspaper. I am hoping for an even closer relationship with England after Brexit, either way, actually, we have too much in common, and our differences make us stronger. :)

You were there just a few years after I left! I remember! Sausage Rolls and tea at Purdy's. Saly and Vinegar Chips! Extra Strong Mints from a sweet shop, taken out of a LARGE glass jar into paper-bags! Walking from, Land's End to John o' Groats 874 miles they say... WONDERFUL... I went for a time to Cambridge, Christ College! My Dad was Airforce and we were stationed at RAF Lakenheath!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I was in Manchester (closes big town, Salford was were I stayed, it's gone downhill from what I hear). The popular pub at the time was one of the oldest in Manchester, it was called "Tommy Ducks". I remember leaving my umbrella in the umbrella stand and forgetting it. I went back the next day, and it was there! I was shocked! From what I understand, that England no longer exists, the one from the time I visited, some British friends tell me it has changed quite a bit.

xaero892

Mad Modeller
About 1 inch tall.

I thought about trying the same technique tonino used for the joystick in his shuttle flight deck. If I layer the paper in the rough shape of the body and then pick away with the knife to refine the shape, I might be able to get more detail. Then the wings would just need shaping and sticking on after.

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I would recommend carving the part in halves. Use 2 part Epoxy, then you can easily pull out each half. I use this clear U.V. activated Resin, they sell it everywhere, that hardens almost instantly when subjected to U.V. light, which comes on the other side of the glue stick, with an On/Off switch. The idea is that after the epoxy mold has become nice and hard, you car use Vaseline as a release agent. Just use a Q-tip cotton swamp and apply a very thin layer of the Vaseline, or any kind of easily removed non stick lubricant and you can fill the two half (now temporarily together, held by rubber bands, etc, and shine the light down the slightly exposed head (top). The U.V. light travels through the whole clear plastic liquid, and in around 45 seconds hardens. From that point, you can file, add more U>V. epoxy, and make the final plug for the mold, then be able to pop out a few of them.. This stuff solidifies into a very hard acrylic, unbelievably hard, and you can build up the surface, and sand it down. Actually, there are a ton of small parts you can make using this to strength the paper, or use the paper as an armature for holding the glue together till it gets hard, like steering Ball Joints, etc. The video is just an example.

Something that looks like this it's usually called U.V. glue, Loctite makes their own version, comes with the U.V. light on one side of the pen, and the Glue capped on the other side:

UV Glue.jpg

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Yeah, I've learned that the hard way.

I started on a mock up of the grille yesterday so I can try out some ideas regarding the anti theft device.

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Still working on the grille and have begun the fins this morning. There are 22 of them in total.

Unfortunately this may take a while as I'm spending a lot of my spare time in hospital with my son.

He has been diagnosed with aplastic anaemia so he is having blood tests every few days. When his levels are too low he is having blood and platelet transfusions. This is currently twice a week. This Thursday he is travelling to London for a 2nd bone marrow biopsy and to have a Hickman line put in.

Once he's recovered from that he will have chemotherapy for a week to kill off his bone marrow. Then comes a bone marrow transplant and 5/6 weeks in hospital to recover and to make sure the stem cells in the new marrow have taken root.

So.... as you can imagine I won't be able to get too much done for the next couple of months but I shall be posting bits as and when I can.

20181120_120130.jpg 20181120_115759.jpg

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
I am sorry to hear this... I only can guess at what you are dealing with, and can only say Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family!

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Thank you @Gandolf50.
He is taking it very well and now we know what it is and what's going to happen it is a bit better.
I just had a message from my wife, he needs another platelet transfusion tomorrow morning.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Oh my God. My prayers are with you, as I am sure are all those who read this. Your love is very strong, and it is a tangible scientific reality. He is blessed having you. May God bless you and yours. :)