Large Rolls-Royce Wraith.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
As Rolls Royce learned, laminating is your friend. I have watched many shows on how Rolls Royce makes their Dashboard, and other hand made/worked parts. There is a place in Bridgeport, Ct. (Dragonne Motors) that has restored quite a few Rolls Royce cars, they even just finished off a Bugatti Atlantique ( only 3 0r 4 known to exist, and this one was pristine), among the other very rare and collectible cars. Last time I was there they were doing a full frame up restoration of a 1917 Silver Ghost. I found the most amazing experience about that place was that they let me into the shop, and I had an almost hour long conversation on a Brass fitting they had restored, they showed me the original one, and the recreated one, they were identical, except for the crack.

The size you are making this has it's plus and minuses. On the plus side, you will be able to add more detail with actual fiddly bits, and water form pieces a bit easier. The minus, not sure, except that you can't get away with using graphics as much, but to me that's a good thing. :)

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Interesting story zathros, it's cool that they let you have a look round.

My work space is a bit cluttered at the moment and I've been busy with the family.
When I've had a few spare minutes I've been arranging the rear bumper templates.
For the majority of joins like in the red highlight, I shall be manufacturing tabs from thin paper so I can have the edges against each other. This way I'm hoping the surface will look smoother.
I may also try a little layering on the back to give some strength.

20180922_192206.jpg 20180922_192251.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Great progress. If I can help you unfold something, let me know, I'm pretty good with Rhino, Gandolf is better though. :)

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Thanks Zathros, I might take you up on that. Definately not looking forward to the engine and interior. It might take a while to sort those out.

I've never heard of rhino, I'll go ask Google in a bit. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
It's called Rhino 5.0 64 bit. Check the links below to see some of my work. Everything I posted unfolds. There is much more throughout the forum. I help people build their models. I don't release mine, I never have the time, except for a few, to build them. I have helped many many people, I just ask them not to mention it, because it is their model, and I get my satisfaction from helping. ;)

Links = http://www.zealot.com/threads/some-other-renders-eska-a90.174856/ http://www.zealot.com/threads/bit-of-nausicaa.174819/ http://www.zealot.com/threads/battlestar-galactica-stealthstar.177637/

xaero892

Mad Modeller
They look great. You should think about releasing you work occasionally. I'm sure others would be interested. I'll definately have a look at rhino.:)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Running this forum, and other obligations, helping others finish off their models, eats all my time up. I will someday release work, but it takes so much time, and a lot of the models I make will required much to build, these won't be print , cut, and glue. Multiple layers, much like the one you are building now. ;)

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Slowly getting there with the bonnet test. Here are some pics from the past few days.

I'm considering painting the white areas to hide the black lines. I tried lightening them but they're barely visible in places.

Anyone know which paint is best to use? Also I've heard there is a paint that gives a chrome effect, does anyone have experience with it?

Thanks.

received_1356396637830594.jpeg received_296361784293169.jpeg

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Thanks revell-fan. It's only the test, the proper one will look better.

Zathros, it feels fairly strong and weighs a ton, (Not literally but it's pretty heavy) I hope I can make the hinges strong enough to hold it up.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That has never been done before. What a task! It reminds me of the life-size LEGO Bugatti:

It is powered by several hundred LEGO mini motors which take up the most space behind the driver's seat. They are connected in a way that they move a huge chain connected to the wheels. Steering wheel, seats, outer shell - all LEGO, mounted on a steel frame.

:)

Last edited:

xaero892

Mad Modeller
I've seen that bugatti. Very impressive. I was considering doing the phantom at the same scale as the wraith, but that's for another day.

I'm going to try and finish the bonnet this week so I'll put pics up when it's done.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
All those details add up, and you have a beauty in the making! :)

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Bonnet latch on and both skins joined. The bottom edge has rippled a bit when gluing which is annoying. Next time im thinking of doing it from the centre outwards and a little at a time. Also there isn't enough downwards curve towards the front so that needs looking at.

I'm fairly pleased with how the latch has come out. :)

20181001_190808.jpg 20181001_190853.jpg 20181001_191026.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Bonnet latch on and both skins joined. The bottom edge has rippled a bit when gluing which is annoying. Next time im thinking of doing it from the centre outwards and a little at a time. Also there isn't enough downwards curve towards the front so that needs looking at.

I'm fairly pleased with how the latch has come out. :)

View attachment 167545 View attachment 167546 View attachment 167547

The black piece looks like metal!! This Bonnet is really coming out great!! :)