Large Rolls-Royce Wraith.

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Thanks Zathros, it means a lot to hear such praise from a master like yourself. Honestly I'm a little worried that it won't look as good as I want it to, but I shall do my best.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Please, I'm not master, not at all. I used to restore Mercedes Benz's and flip them, so many I wish I could have kept that are worth so much more now. You're doing a spot on job!! ;)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
During the bonnet build I have spent some time arranging parts for the front bumper. I will need to find some mesh for the lower grill but other than that it is ready for printing.

View attachment 167239 View attachment 167240 View attachment 167241
That's it for now, more as it progresses. :):)

Looking good!! Mesh, depends on size, but look in a fabric store for plastic netting! I have a roll, that is 150mm wide by? long. Each opening in the net is approx 1mm so it is a very fine mesh, but I have seen larger! Usually in the lace section.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
If Rolls Royce asked me to build a model of one of their cars, i would incorporate everything to make the car buildable by others, and anything that would aid in the fabrication of said mode., be it paper, fabric, metal, wood, Balsa Wood, etc, whatever works! :)

Tonino

Lately I was mostly absent from the forum (and the modeling activity) due to several family priorities that absorbed all my time. Doing so I've lost many thread like this one: boy what a project!!
This is not A project... this is THE project!
I'm amazed by the amount of detail and shapes that a BIG model like this makes possible. I can't wait to see the internal arrangement of this beauty.

Great work so far @xaero892 you are making the only possible model for a RR! A perfect one!

And... @zathros ... great idea that one of the buttons! I didn't think to this possibility before. Very nice idea! I'll give it a try at first occasion.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
That is quite a piece of engineering. I used to get blueprints when I worked at Sikorsky aircraft, then have to take a 4' x 6' x 2' ingot of aluminum, and find the grain, and make a bulkhead out of it. This is what you are doing, making something from a picture. The detailing you post shows you grasp the concept and execute it excellently. ;)

Gandolf50

Staff member
Ok....
It works in principle but needs a lot of refining. I think it may have to be a bit bigger and use thicker laminate and cocktail sticks.

I'm pleased that it works though, I think I may have just created the world's smallest papercraft cantilever hinge.
;)

Not sure what you are using the cocktail sticks/toothpicks for? To drill your holes? I see ( I think, you are using a wire for your bolt ( GOOD) but if you take the wire that you use for your bolt, and using a file to grind 3 or 4 flat edges on the end of some, you can use that for a drill, and your bolts will always fit!

Sorry to say... I think I got you beat on the hinge. Landing gear flaps for a 1/72 scale aircraft. ;) But I got no picture so I'll let you claim the title!Claphands

xaero892

Mad Modeller
@Gandolf50 I used wire for the hinge bolt but I think the whole assembly needs to be bigger, so I thought about using cut down cocktail sticks for the bolt instead of wire. I used a very small drill bit in a dremel to do the holes. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, if someone has made a hinge for a 1/72 scale aircraft then I don't mind losing that title. They must be tiny. :)

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Still here guys. Waiting for my printer ink to arrive and my son has been off school due to health issues, so not much accomplished this week. I'm considering building the headlights in 3d instead of texturing so that's something to look forward to. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Picture uploading is down, thought I'd let you know. They be working on it. ;)

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Thanks Zathros. I'm trying to sort out door templates while I can't build anything. Got the outer skin and mirror sorted so far and I'm now working on the inner skin before I move on to the door card.

Gandolf50

Staff member
Still here guys. Waiting for my printer ink to arrive and my son has been off school due to health issues, so not much accomplished this week. I'm considering building the headlights in 3d instead of texturing so that's something to look forward to. :)

Here is a link showing how to make some using UV cured resin... and they look great, could easily be adapted to any configuration... you can also use CrystalClear resin, but curing time is like DAYS!

http://wmc.kvaksiuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=4961&start=300

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Thanks Gandolf50, will get it translated at some point.

Left-hand door templates finished. LOTS of fiddly bits here. I'm going to make the window from clear acetate using the template, and glue some reflective foil to the mirror.

I have also written instructions to print the smaller bits on thinner card.

20181020_134530.jpg