Spaceagent-9 2017 build pic threads

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I wouldn't waste my efforts using anything printed with laser printers as the toner sits on top of the paper and will eventually all flake off. You'll end up with a white model. I've said this over and over, Pigment Ink printers is the only way to go. Pigment Ink is U.V. resistant, and is considered archival, 100 years at least. The model looks very clean though. Maybe if you seal it with some clear flat or gloss paint, it might seal, but I really don't know.

I did a post about Pigment ink showing how it aligns with the paper matrix and is bonded by electrons to the paper's matrix. Dye ink just sits inbetween and will run when wet. Pigment ink will not run when wet, unless soaked and the paper starts to come apart. Pigment Ink printers do require more maintenance, or constant use. Constant use prevents the heads from clogging. :)

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
I wouldn't waste my efforts using anything printed with laser printers as the toner sits on top of the paper and will eventually all flake off. You'll end up with a white model. I've said this over and over, Pigment Ink printers is the only way to go. Pigment Ink is U.V. resistant, and is considered archival, 100 years at least. The model looks very clean though. Maybe if you seal it with some clear flat or gloss paint, it might seal, but I really don't know.

I did a post about Pigment ink showing how it aligns with the paper matrix and is bonded by electrons to the paper's matrix. Dye ink just sits inbetween and will run when wet. Pigment ink will not run when wet, unless soaked and the paper starts to come apart. Pigment Ink printers do require more maintenance, or constant use. Constant use prevents the heads from clogging. :)

Thanks I am going to check into that!

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member

I will hunt that down and check that out!

I have had bad experienced with laser prints too. I'll be interested in finding out the technical explanation.

Last edited:

spaceagent-9

I have had bad experienced with laser prints too. I'll be interested in finding out the technical explanation.
[/QUOTE]

I think the reason it cracks is that it gets baked like a ceramic, and then because it's so brittle, it breaks along the seam in flakes that are harder and cracks where the weaker places are?

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Good job with the creative solutions!

What do you do to color the white edges? I find colored pencils stable, but not always effective. Markers bleed into the part. Oil pastels sometimes work, but sometimes don't seem to make enough coloration to blend.

I ask, because some of the cracking in laser prints might be fixed with a similar solution to the edging problem?

spaceagent-9

I haven't even gone there yet, I have full-spectrum markers and pencils, but chalk might be a good answer. Heating the laser print part and slowly working it works well, also holding it in position until it cools.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
If I may suggest, I use water colour paints and a "dry brush" technique for painting the edges. I will also premix the colours that I need for the project t hand.

The paints that I use are KOH-I-NOOR Tempera paints, that I order from AMAZON. Now with that being said, sargent art acrylic paint from Walmart is also good.

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
If I may suggest, I use water colour paints and a "dry brush" technique for painting the edges. I will also premix the colours that I need for the project t hand.

The paints that I use are KOH-I-NOOR Tempera paints, that I order from AMAZON. Now with that being said, sargent art acrylic paint from Walmart is also good.

I never thought of dry brushing water colors! Good idea.

I figured that watercolors would bleed more than markers but dry brushing makes sense, regarding how to avoid that. I had thought acrylics would be required.

Pastels work but can flake a lot and become messy.

good idea!