"Flying Dutchman" - Ghost Ship - OREL Russian Paper Model Build

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Skinning the Hull with a couple of strips on opposite sides is so important. It prevents the model from warping and the hull stays symmetric this way. Your hull is definitely symmetric!! :bowdown:

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
Santa Clarita, California
So, I had to unload my camera, and here's the latest installment of the Flying Dutchman, Ghost Ship! Ah, I like saying that! :biggrin:

Now we have those strips installed on each side of the ship.

Flying Dutchman 001.JPG

Now on to the next Milestone, which is the faces on the sides of the ship :animated:

These are part numbers 38.1P-38.1L through 38.30P-38.30L. This is going to be a fair amount of work... LOL... okay, its gonna be a ton of work! There are 6 pieces per face, x 10 = 60 parts x 2 as there are L and P for the 2 ides giving a total of 120 parts for just the faces :sticktongue: To be fair, I spread it out over a week or so of work. Its also essential I would say to replace blades frequently as soon as there are signs of dragging the edges.

This is the first card piece base for the face.

A strong tip for building the entire model which is never mentioned in the instructions (this is for the laser cut parts option) is to cut out the parts from the back of the sheet of card, the white side. This avoids having a lot of cleanup of the little areas that hold the parts in place on the card until you are ready as the line cut line is thinner and guides the blade more accurately! Also, the colored veneer parts are glued on to the front of the parts. In other words, the card side with the number details (only in the case of the laser cut option). Note the front of the part is displayed below, L is left, and P is right.

Flying Dutchman 002.JPG

I painted the card base and the edges of the pieces to make it look nice. No lie, there is a LOT of cutting needed! The color veneer is glued on top of the card base. The 2 parts are ready to be glued together below.

Flying Dutchman 003.JPG

Glued successfully, and ready for the next layer!

Flying Dutchman 004.JPG

Ah yes, a broad overview of the card parts for the face pieces.

Flying Dutchman 005.JPG

Here is the next layer, which is the face only layer.

Flying Dutchman 006.JPG

Laser cut card base on the left, and color veneer all cutout and ready on the right.

Flying Dutchman 007.JPG

Layer number 2 ready to be glued.

Flying Dutchman 008.JPG

Layer 1 and 2 done.

Flying Dutchman 009.JPG

This is the third and final layer for this part.

Flying Dutchman 010.JPG

Flying Dutchman 011.JPG

All done and ready for fitting! The faces are actually unique for each one which I think is very cool!

Flying Dutchman 012.JPG

Here's another huge one for ya! The instructions never mention when and where to fit any of the cannon barrels! This is where things could get really ugly! The barrels can't be fitted if you have already installed the face on the side of the ship. It's imperative that the barrels are inserted prior to gluing them!

See in the picture below, the barrel barely fits through the cannon port of the face part.

Flying Dutchman 013.JPG

I worked on one cannon port at a time going from left of the ship to the right hand side.

Hey, the first cannon barrel glued in place! :drinksmile: I also painted the edges of the paper with chocolate brown and added matte black for the insides of the barrel and for the blast around the entry of the barrel. This would I imagine where gunpowder soot would accumulate a bit even though the ship spends most of its time below water.

Flying Dutchman 014.JPG

The first face in place. I glued the main body of the assembly first and then the 2 strips. I got some new "Elmer's Extreme" glue which is very strong.

Flying Dutchman 015.JPG

I will only show the first of these faces construction as they are the same for each, all 0 of them.

Flying Dutchman 016.JPG

Flying Dutchman 017.JPG

The cannon barrel has to be jiggled about a bit while finding its carriage fit location.

For God's sakes don't drop the barrel inside the hull which I think would be pretty easy to do! There's no way that would ever be fished out and would require a whole new barrel to be produced :headbange: :sticktongue: :realmad:

Flying Dutchman 018.JPG

The accuracy of the fit for these is awesome! They needed no modifications at all!

Flying Dutchman 019.JPG

The laser cuts were too close for these pieces on a couple of them and had to be repaired a bit.

Flying Dutchman 020.JPG

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
Where we are currently staying, there is one of the house-managers as they are called, named Mike. He's a nice guy, and was in the Navy. He totally don't understand the need to build models though, and seemed to see everything as a dollar amount. He said, "Oh yes, well you could sell the model when its done and make some money from it... like put it on eBay or something, and then get your money back." I just agreed with him as he really doesn't understand. I like to put my entire self into what I am building, and i really don't think about the money, I think about how it would be to build the full-size ship, or wander the decks as a tiny character, and I value the details and ideas provided by others who share their opinions much more than money. My pleasure comes from those that enjoy seeing the model being built.

Anyway, LOL. Back onto the faces.

Flying Dutchman 021.JPG

Flying Dutchman 023.JPG

Flying Dutchman 024.JPG

Flying Dutchman 025.JPG

Some of the barrels are a tight squeeze and I had to flatten the backside that goes inside the ship a little bit.

Flying Dutchman 026.JPG

Flying Dutchman 027.JPG

These are all the barrels I created earlier ready now for the installation.

Flying Dutchman 028.JPG

Its good to not make them all the same as that wouldn't be true to the "real" ship :yesyes:The carriages would have some pushed further forward, some retracted more, some at an angle and so on. That makes it looks more realistic and all.

Flying Dutchman 029.JPG

Tweezers are an essential tool for handling these small details.

Flying Dutchman 032.JPG

And there we are! All done and in place! You can see how accurate they all connect with one another without any cutting or modifications. I love the look of this ship! As I mentioned, you can see that each of the faces is different on the side. You can make out the shape of animals such as frogs, ducks, deer and so on... really nice.

Flying Dutchman 033.JPG

Flying Dutchman 034.JPG

Now, moving onto the chaser cannon surrounds. I really loved working on this part! Construction is the same idea... 6 pieces.

Flying Dutchman 035.JPG

Flying Dutchman 036.JPG

Ready to be glued together!

Flying Dutchman 037.JPG

There was a minor fix I had to make. There are some protrusions that must be cut to allow for the front mast as I have marked below.

Flying Dutchman 038.JPG

Ready for installation!

Flying Dutchman 039.JPG

Time to install the 2 chaser cannons to the front of the ship. I covered these being built earlier.

Flying Dutchman 040.JPG

I did have to trim a bit of the edge of the ship's left cannon port to allow for the barrel to be installed (minor stuff). The barrels butt against the bulkhead anyway so they are well supported.

Flying Dutchman 041.JPG

The finished front piece needs to be carefully bent to shape which involves bending it around a curved surface a bit at a time. Testing for fit, and bending a bit more, and so on and so forth.

Flying Dutchman 042.JPG

Here's the chaser cannons on the actual ship.

flying_dutchman_chasers1.jpg

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
Cannons

Two of the Dutchman's cannon ports.

Dutchmanports.jpg

The Flying Dutchman's cannon's emerged from ports on either side of the ship. The ports were carved into the hull and took the forms of sea demons with wide gaping mouths, when the curse on the ship was broken the cannon ports appear to be carvings of animal heads like lions and fish made of gold or bronze.

The Dutchman's main armament consists of twenty 36-pound cannons and eighteen 24-pound cannons, supplemented by 3-pounders on the quarterdeck and forecastle, making her capable of delivering a 588 lb. broadside. This overwhelmingly heavy broadside proves on multiple occasions to be a destructive, if not fatal, blow to any ship that is at range of this powerful ship. It also carries two large triple rotating bow chasers.

The prow of the ship resembled a fanged mouth, and featured a carved figurehead resembling the Grim Reaper and his scythe, while the un-corrupted prow looked like a head of a crocodile\barracuda with wooden spikes resembling razor-sharp teeth and no figurehead.

In addition, the Dutchman's sails were white, but raggedy, and covered with seaweed and grime, with multiple holes, perhaps from the many trips into the ocean's depths, but when the curse was broken the sails kept their damaged appearance though they lost the seaweed and grime covering them.

Overall the Dutchman carries 46 cannons, considering her primary weapons were 24-pounders and 36-pounders, the Dutchman was perhaps one of the most powerful ships in the Caribbean.

Reference:

(From POTC Wiki Web Site)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Next, is the surround for the upper cannon ports. The cannons fit through these okay, so no need to fit them yet. I think its better to leave the installation of the cannon barrels as late as possible as they have the potential for getting in the way of the other stuff that needs to be fitted.

Flying Dutchman 043.JPG

Flying Dutchman 044.JPG

I started from the middle of the window surround piece to allow for any possible inaccuracies being spread more evenly from front to back.

Flying Dutchman 045.JPG

Left side upper cannon port surround done.

Flying Dutchman 046.JPG

... and the right side upper cannon port surround installed.

Flying Dutchman 047.JPG

Now onto the vertical supports (not sure what their real name might be?".

Flying Dutchman 048.JPG

Each piece is comprised of 2 parts glued together to get the right thickness.

Flying Dutchman 049.JPG

The first one installed.

Flying Dutchman 050.JPG

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I light the cannon ports. They turned out nicely! I like how they look!
I fully sympathize with you about your situation with the "House-Manager". I have ran into many people like that. They have no real understanding and appreciation of this hobby and all of the time, effort, energy, and work that is invested in any given project.
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
No one in my family understands why I do any of my hobbies. Well, they understand why I play D&D, but not everything else I do related to that. Mind blowing work on this ship. It looks to be a fabulous kit.

Reactions: mtrappett and mijob

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
It's been pretty crazy since the last time I posted, but I have been working on the vessel as much as possible.

These are the vertical pieces that run along the sides of the ship. There are a lot of parts for these. Each one is constructed from 4 parts that are typically like the ones shown below

Flying Dutchman 001.JPG

Here's a couple of them fitted. The verticals hide the joints in the horizontals.

Flying Dutchman 002.JPG

Here's a view of the contoured shape after the card pieces have been assembled.

Flying Dutchman 003.JPG

You get the idea... here's four of them installed. Each are a little different in shape.

Flying Dutchman 004.JPG

That's all the right side vertical pieces installed. They fit perfectly between the horizontals.

Flying Dutchman 005.JPG

Left side done. There's another milestone as there is a LOT of work in getting these done.

Flying Dutchman 006.JPG

These are the edge pieces that go from front to rear of the ship.

Flying Dutchman 007.JPG

This is one that I laminated together and is ready to be fitted.

Flying Dutchman 008.JPG

Here it is successfully fitted on the right side. Best to just do a little at a time.

Flying Dutchman 009.JPG

A view of the fitting of the edge parts on the right side, rear. No issues with the shape, and they fit perfectly.

Flying Dutchman 010.JPG

Now working on the left side. The edge strips level the overlapping parts above.

Flying Dutchman 011.JPG

The long horizontal edge fitted on the left, port side.

Flying Dutchman 012.JPG

A rear view of the edging installation completed.

Flying Dutchman 013.JPG

The edging wraps-around the bow as can be seen here.

Flying Dutchman 014.JPG

Starting work on the transom of the ship.

Flying Dutchman 015.JPG

The ship has a pleasing shape to the stern. The keel is very thick and sturdy. It is necessary to do some smoothing with the scalpel and sanding block to get the edges nice and accurate for the rest of the transom parts.

Flying Dutchman 017.JPG

A view of the work that needs to be done.

Flying Dutchman 018.JPG

Starting to look nice ;)

Flying Dutchman 019.JPG

The Windows for the galley. This is where they will be fitted.

Flying Dutchman 020.JPG

Flying Dutchman 021.JPG

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
Continuing on with the transom detail including the windows for the gallery.

I bought a pack of 100 blades for my X-Acto knife, and I'm about half-way through them. Time to install a new blade for this! Make sure to have a steady hand for making all the tiny cuts in the paper on the right image.

Flying Dutchman 022.JPG

These are ready to be joined.

Flying Dutchman 023.JPG

I found the most accurate way of bonding the card with the color veneer is to use a tiny peg to hold them in exactly the right place then apply the glue to one side, then the other.

Flying Dutchman 024.JPG

Looking nice!

Flying Dutchman 025.JPG

This is the top portion of the Gallery window frame.

Flying Dutchman 026.JPG

Fitted to the rear of the ship. Be sparing with the glue.

Flying Dutchman 027.JPG

This is a section of the rear siding.

Flying Dutchman 028.JPG

This is the installation of the small right side panel.

Flying Dutchman 029.JPG

Moving onto the steering blade. Parts 40.11 through 40.14 are the hinges by the way.

Flying Dutchman 030.JPG

Flying Dutchman 031.JPG

Flying Dutchman 032.JPG

Flying Dutchman 033.JPG

Flying Dutchman 034.JPG

The brown marked areas are where the hinges will be placed.

Flying Dutchman 035.JPG

On the left is the color veneer that will go all the way around the edge.

Flying Dutchman 036.JPG

Flying Dutchman 037.JPG

Flying Dutchman 038.JPG

This is the fitting of the hinges in place on the steering blade.

Flying Dutchman 042.JPG

Is it just my eyes, or is this like totally blurred? :biggrin::animated::bulgeeye:

Flying Dutchman 043.JPG

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
The steering blade is fixed and does not turn. I did have to re-shape the top to match the "hole" the shaft fits into.

Flying Dutchman Build 001.JPG

The hinges look pretty good. I decided to use the hinges supplied with the actual model instead of the brass etched parts.

Flying Dutchman Build 002.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 003.JPG

It seems that the bow is vulnerable to damage, so I used a bit of padding to keep it protected.

Flying Dutchman Build 004.JPG

The glue's still wet ;) I'm happy with the way the steering blade came out.

Flying Dutchman Build 005.JPG

This is for the bow to cover the plain panel.

Flying Dutchman Build 006.JPG

It fits really well.

Flying Dutchman Build 007.JPG

These pieces cover the sides.

Flying Dutchman Build 008.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 009.JPG

These also fit really well.

Flying Dutchman Build 010.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 014.JPG

The upper deck sides.

Flying Dutchman Build 015.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 016.JPG

Milestone: Start of the Ships Railings

Flying Dutchman Build 017.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 018.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 019.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 020.JPG

This shows how to build the front railing section. Note that this is a difficult part.

Flying Dutchman Build 021.JPG

A couple of the card bodies pf railings ready for use.

Flying Dutchman Build 022.JPG

These are the ornate sections.

Flying Dutchman Build 023.JPG

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
This is an extremely detailed model so I am finding out, and is posing a challenge for sure!

These are very delicate parts and can be easily damaged inadvertently by rough-handling. I found the best way to install the curved fancy pieces was to first glue the card parts, and then cut and glue the color veneers. It is way too difficult to slide the completed railing through the square hole. The railing becomes too thick after it has had its veneer glued on.

Flying Dutchman Build 024.JPG

Yes, its finished :drinksmile:

Flying Dutchman Build 025.JPG

Here it is glued in position on the deck. Be sure not to follow the marking on the deck otherwise it will be offset to one side! Not good and it will look funky!

Flying Dutchman Build 026.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 027.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 028.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 029.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 030.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 031.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 032.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 033.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 034.JPG

I used a air drill to open up the holes in the paper veneer. Just use the fingers and not a Dremel as the drill bit will try to drift off to the side. These holes will be for the rigging eventually that will go up to the sails and masts amongst other things.

Flying Dutchman Build 035.JPG

These are too long and will stick up as they are. They need to be slightly trimmed so they are at the correct depth.

Flying Dutchman Build 036.JPG

The square holes are very accurately cut. The parts slide in really nice.

Flying Dutchman Build 037.JPG

This is the "Bridge" one for the front and one for the back. The back one has been purposely designed to look like it took some battle damage.

Flying Dutchman Build 038.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 039.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 040.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 041.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 042.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 043.JPG

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
One thing that is not mentioned in the instructions is the sequence of building the model, it goes X.Y where X is the main assembly number to work on, and Y is the sub component of that assembly. It's extremely important to get a grasp early on about this. For example, the following part is the broken bridge assembly. This is part 44. Each of the smaller pieces or color veneers are 44.1, 44.2 and so on.

Flying Dutchman Build 044.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 045.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 046.JPG

Very small stuff.

Flying Dutchman Build 047.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 048.JPG

Flying Dutchman Build 049.JPG

You get a decent view of the 2 railings and 2 bridges

Flying Dutchman Build 050.JPG

Adding the side-decks for the dudes to run along. This is the support post.

Flying Dutchman Build 051.JPG

Deck in place. Its a bit tricky to get positioned right, so I uses a couple of pins as rests.

Flying Dutchman Build 052.JPG

The Ladder sides.

Flying Dutchman Build 053.JPG

These are for the lower deck to the side decks.

Flying Dutchman Build 055.JPG

Tack it in place to start with at the front.

Flying Dutchman Build 056.JPG

I cut a couple of color veneers for the long sides of the ladders from the spare section as they are not provided.

Flying Dutchman Build 057.JPG

Last edited: