"Flying Dutchman" - Ghost Ship - OREL Russian Paper Model Build

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The canons on these ships were held in place by rops. Using scale rope string, you could tie the guns dow with string which would enable you to aim and have some in gor reloading. I believe these canons had no breach.

This thread is so chock full of information, all I can comment is with a big Wow!!!!!

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
Santa Clarita, California
The canons on these ships were held in place by rops. Using scale rope string, you could tie the guns dow with string which would enable you to aim and have some in gor reloading. I believe these canons had no breach.

This thread is so chock full of information, all I can comment is with a big Wow!!!!!
Thanks Zathros! I hope that it will be useful. I like the idea with the ropes for the cannons! I will keep that in mind when I come to fit the remainder of them. All the best for the New Year 2022 to you and everybody too!

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
You guys are very kind, and your words actually do provide some great support, and I really appreciate that! I truly feel that this is a great model to build, and I would recommend it. I would hope too that this build information would help you, and you could add your own ideas to make a better example in the future.

Here are some more details of the gangways. They are kind of small so just keep that in mind. It reminds of if you were building doll-house furniture.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 001.JPG

I lay the matching pairs of the gangway stairs side by side to allow for more accurate alignment. Otherwise, the stairs will look all crooked and all :yesyes:

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 002.JPG

These are the steps pre-assembled. Luckily, there's only one step on these! Thank God!

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 003.JPG

You can see from this picture where they go which is to the right and left sides of the fence. Just a nice little step to make things easier for the dudes to move around the ship.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 004.JPG

There's not much detail shown on the plan, so these pictures will help!

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 005.JPG

Okay, moving on to these! Honestly, I don't know the proper name for these? It's not mentioned on the plans either? I just know there must be a special name? They are deck tie-down for various rigging lines that go up to the sails, and masts.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 006.JPG

This is the plan detail for this one, but there are multiple assemblies on other parts of the ship that are similar.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 007.JPG

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 008.JPG

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 009.JPG

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 010.JPG

I used a hair drill to go through the paper veneers, and to clean the hole through ready for the rigging lines in the future.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 011.JPG

I can see that these are going to be VERY difficult to access without knocking parts around! But, we shall see I guess?

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 012.JPG

More than half built. They extend downwards far enough to contact the lower deck. Make sure to glue these securely, and to keep the holes fully open for the thread.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 013.JPG

Oh, goodness me! LOL. Lots, and lots of railings to build! Each one has a hole for the thread to go through too! Each railing consists of 4 separate parts so, yes, this is another intricate section to build.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 014.JPG

Just use a finger hold on the drill to avoid any accidental damage to the railings as they are built. There are NO spares either, so make sure to avoid cobbling one up!

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 015.JPG

These are the first railings that go around the gangway to the lower deck. I used a straight pin to make tiny holes for the glue to get a better hold for each post.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 016.JPG

The Ship's Capstan Construction

Sailors would coordinate the rhythm of their movements by singing a particular type of sea shanty as they walked around the capstan. The tensioned portion of the rope would hoist a foresail and could also be used to lift a heavy spar into position on the mast or to transfer cargo to or from a dock or lighter.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 017.JPG

I really enjoyed building this, although there were a few issues I found that required some re-work. These are all of the parts to make the Capstan.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 018.JPG

I will show the steps required to build the Capstan.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 019.JPG

These plates are layered on top of one-another to provide stepping.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 020.JPG

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Please pardon my horrid spelling. My fat fingers don't work well with phones. My computer blew up and I am waiting for my new Ryzen 5800x CPU and ASUS. TUF B550 3rd gen mobo to come in. Till then it's fat fingers vs. small letter phone keyboard. I had to go back and correct around 5 mistakes in this post!!

Reactions: mtrappett

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
Thank you all for the nice comments! Much appreciated!

In this build text, I have included detail of the additional "Brass Etch Kit". I bought this as an optional add-on because mainly the lamps need to be bent into crazy shapes and need to stay-put.

Okay, so as mentioned, I had to make a larger version of the octopus. If anyone wants the modified parts that I have mentioned in the build, just let me know, and I will upload them to the Resources section of the site.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 041.JPG

The finished top of the Capstan with updated octopus figure.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 042.JPG

Capstan finished and ready to glue to the ship!

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 043.JPG

There it is! Another milestone! Capstan made and fitted!

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 044.JPG

Flying Dutchman Ghost Ship - Photo Etch Parts Kit

You don't have to use this kit, but I wanted to try and make the best version I could of this ship.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 045.JPG

The doors for the main deck.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 046.JPG

All of the parts needed for adding the doors to the ship.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 047.JPG

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 048.JPG

I used a needle file with a small piece of "Blue Tack" stuff added to the tip. This seemed to work good for manipulating the tiny brass hinges.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 049.JPG

You can use super-glue to affix these brass hinges but I just used some Elmer's Extreme glue. It's not like anyone is going to swing open the doors! :yesyes:

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 050.JPG

I used a new blade cutting on a hard metal surface (pair of heavy pliers). Just cut vertically down on the part from both sides. It cuts them free nice and clean and no filing is needed.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 051.JPG

You might prefer to add these when its easier to get to the lower doors? I just used the technique with the needle file and Blue Tack to fit them. Not too difficult :eek:

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 052.JPG

The door frame pieces.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 053.JPG

Kind of nice to look at , the door assembly as is!

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 054.JPG

This is the upper door molding.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 055.JPG

Now with the upper door molding in place! Also, the part # 50.4 that goes around the inside of the door frame.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 056.JPG

Almost finished, and ready to install to the vessel. Parts # 50.6 these are the tiny shaped pieces that decorate the upper inside frame of the doors.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 057.JPG

These are super-tiny details!

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 058.JPG

They add a little extra to the looks!

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 059.JPG

Doors assembly completed and installed to the ship! They look pretty good! Again, this model is built using the parts notation X.YY where in this case, the doors are part # 50, and each of the accompanying parts are 50.1 - 50.YYFlying Dutchman - Build Pictures 060.JPG

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
Okay, onwards, and upwards! Here is another one of the deck rigging hold-downs.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 061.JPG

These parts fit together really well! No mods needed at all. I just used a little white glue in the end of a needle to run through each of the rigging holes to make it easier to thread the cord through.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 062.JPG

Another Milestone! Rigging and Roping for the Railings

I decided to order a bunch of different size rigging threads according to the plans. I bought them as a set off eBay.

Flying Dutchman - Build Pictures 063.JPG

Flying Dutchman 001.JPG

Here are the railings that go around the upper deck level around the tops of the doors.

Flying Dutchman 002.JPG

I used the thickest rigging thread I could feed through the holes in the railings. That was 0.4MM, black. I tied the ends as detailed on the plan. This is delicate work and take care not to destroy anything in the process :exploding_head:

Flying Dutchman 003.JPG

The thicker thread looks better, and hangs better too. I did knock a couple of the railings off, but they were simple to glue back again. Hey poop happens! :kick-ass:

Flying Dutchman 004.JPG

I painted the ropes same color as the rest of the ship. If the ship goes under the water, how long would the ropes stay nice and black? They would get all soggy with sea-creatures and plankton and all that good yucky stuff! I mean really, I guess the rigging would just deteriorate? But that would be no fun :BRAVO:

Flying Dutchman 005.JPG

Milestone - Ships Wheel

I've been looking forward to building this! Part # 53 and all it's smaller bits, 53.yy thru 53.zz

Flying Dutchman 006.JPG

These are all the parts that are needed to build the ship's wheel.

Flying Dutchman 007.JPG

This is the base for the wheel.

Flying Dutchman 008.JPG

The grate that the wheel assembly sits on.

Flying Dutchman 009.JPG

Flying Dutchman 010.JPG

The side support brackets.

Flying Dutchman 011.JPG

The card pieces for the wheel, and the color veneers.

Flying Dutchman 012.JPG

Flying Dutchman 013.JPG

The center boss.

Flying Dutchman 014.JPG

The boss end caps.

Flying Dutchman 015.JPG

Pretty small again!

Flying Dutchman 016.JPG

I used the brass etched parts 40.14 for the wheel assembly to give more strength for the tiny handles for the wheel. It's nice that the detail includes part of the one side of the wheel that is missing. This could be like from a cannon-ball that gave a hit.

Flying Dutchman 017.JPG