Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That is one of the nicest representations of this ship ever made. :

Reactions: Cybergrinder

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
Thank you all! I really am just going to make all my light ups at least 1/350, its just so much easier to do. All the problems I am having with the 1/1000 scale are sealing joins, light boxing and the magnification of the edges in photos. So that eliminates those major
problems. I will build all my printed out sheets and show pics, but no more SFX on them.

https://gph.is/2BqcOtp

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
Ok, so I uploaded the 1/350 scale approx. into resources. it has a grey KD7, a blue KD7, the long standing museum color scheme dark grey and dark purple Kd7 and the TAS Romulan d7. I gave you 3 kinds of making the bulb cannon nose part. One is original, the other is a ball shape that Ron Caudillo drew up, and then Robatelli's, maybe blow up Rawen's 50th anniversary piece if you like that one. Hopefully this will end my obsession with this ship, the fixes I did this week I am satisfied with [still trying to find the elusive bulb nose cannon solution tho].

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
Been thinking of many ways to make this cannon so that it is easy bo build, and yet good looking. Snipping around yesterday and came up with this. OF course I need to work on it much more, but you get the idea. Sort of like the Cannon printer animal papermodels style.

Attachments

• GEDC3193.png
    GEDC3193.png
    241.9 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: lyter1958

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
Ok, I took some masking tape and applied it to the amt Klingon model bulb part.
Smooshed it down and then pulled it off like a gel mask and formed it like it was on the plastic positive part.
Then I cut where I needed to in order to make pieces of card stock bend and form in to the proper shape of the Klingon bulb,
as you can see on this 2D image. Next I will print and cut and glue and hopefully it will be much better than the pieces above
that I just drew free hand.
I will post pics when I get something done.

klingon bulb 11282018.png

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I think if you made the bulbous parts in Epoxy, sanded them smooth, rub some oil, then do a wet molding of it, using strips, you'd get a perfect bulb. Otherwise, it will always be a compromise., though you have made an excellent compromise. ;)

Reactions: spaceagent-9

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
Thank you! I agree, that selling or trading worked, molded parts would be the best answer. But then the fun of trying to make this would be gone. I guess the next effort will be kind of a paper mache scratch build with a tutorial. I wonder if i could shoot paper strands over an epoxy bulb like you said, like they do with carbon fibers? Maybe reverse it and press into a mold? Buy a cheap paper shredder and use that to make my strands with. Modeling clay as a mold and hot glue to fill it makes easy one time casts of pieces
that need to be clear and lit up.