Gauge - Layout Party

Arlaghan

Well, what about me?

1) I have made little progress on my Wendy's. All the walls are "bricked" up. The suspended ceiling is finished and works beautifully when lit up. I even started some of the exterior striping (not in this picture) but have stopped. I plan to get more of the exterior done this upcoming week.

2) I met a local N scaler! I spent yesterday and today at his place experimenting with scenery. There was a dead corner in his layout so we decided to make a hill for it. We used newspaper wads and plaster-soaked paper towels, and cleaned up the edges with joint compound. We cast a few rocks, but we didn't get the plaster mixed right, so we will need to re-do those. He is going to order a pack of SuperTrees from Scenic Express and we will "forest" the hill later. Things really do become more fun when you aren't working alone. :)

Attachments

• wendys-09[1].jpg
    wendys-09[1].jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 123

rksstl

Here's my progress after one week. About 2/3 of track down, probably will get the rest down Sunday waiting for a big ice storm to hit:wave:

abz.thumb.jpg

Attachments

• 100_0066.jpg
    100_0066.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 117

TrainClown

Not much done

It seems I've been doing everything else that was not on my list of things to do. Right now I'm feeling overwhelmed with tasks to do and, to make matters worse, my dad calls me up and makes even more requests on my time.

I've just had no energy this last week. Not getting enough sleep doesn't help.

Next week can only be better.

A not too clowny

TrainClown :confused:

F

Fred_M

I finally found my hammer out in the yard where the kids:D left it. But the handle is rotted out. So I went to the hardware and they said my hammer was obsolete and they would have to order a handle from Canada. Then tuesday they called me back and said it was on backorder because they had ran out of hickory trees in the forest they were cutting and they had to await approval to start cutting down some new trees across the fence. So I really can't do much until I get my hammer fixed. Then I'll have to find my saw. I loaned it to Bill Thimas 3 years ago and he moved away with it. Any of you know him? If so tell him to ship my saw back. Also, all my nails are rusty from the same kids leaving them out in the yard. I seperated them from what's left of the coffee can. How can I get them shinny again? Also, anybody fot some spare 4X8 sheets of plywood they can mail me? I also need some 1X4 8 foot long (no crooked ones) and some legs too. As soon as I get a working hammer, my saw back, some wood, and good nails I'll be ready to start.
Actually, I got this section done. FRED

Attachments

• done.jpg
    done.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 102

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Looks Great Dash!! :thumb: You ever consider doing WWII dioramas?? That's what this reminds me of :) Ive seen the same things with Tanks & soldiers all around. Some are really detailed. :) Nice Work!!!!!!!!!

spitfire

Originally posted by dash10
I finally found my hammer out in the yard where the kids:D left it. But the handle is rotted out. So I went to the hardware and they said my hammer was obsolete and they would have to order a handle from Canada. Then tuesday they called me back and said it was on backorder because they had ran out of hickory trees in the forest they were cutting and they had to await approval to start cutting down some new trees across the fence.....

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ROFLMAO!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Val

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Well - I didn't get anything done on the trestle :( :( :( But I let the LPB's decide what they wanted to do :D :eek: :D :eek: :D

A new Water Tower in the works for The MF&W RR :)

Attachments

• towerg.jpg
    towerg.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 130

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
My objectives for this week were:
1: do more bench work.
2: Start paintin a new boxcar
3: Visit my LHS for decals.

What gone done:
1: looked at the pile of wood in the garage.
2: Visited my LHS....Bought another boxcar, no decals.
3: Primed both boxcars.
Extra Credit: Did more on the Torrington train station.
Post pics tomorrow.

Pooh Bah
Well, I got the Royal Scot running. I had to replace the original wires from the pickups on the loco to the motor in the tender. It only pulls 4 or 5 cars around the layout.
I covered the pink foam on the removable section with WS flex paste (or something) coloured with acrylic paints. I put on a layer of the paste then covered with paper towels that had benn coated with the stuff on both sides. It finishes at the roadbed, and the other end reaches to the bottom of the sides, or until it disappears. The oroginal colours were Burnt Umber or Raw Umber. Didn't like the effect, so painted over with the regular moss green. Section was replace in the layout prior to cleaning day. Next step is grass and ballast.

Lighthorseman

After A Week...

Well, I've put up the second section of my layout. Here's a picture of the initial levelling.

Attachments

• section 2 benchwork levelling.jpg
    section 2 benchwork levelling.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 129

Lighthorseman

So, I now have a section of the layout with a walk-in thing going. I threw together a quick shelf that fits under the short section for getting miscellaneous junk out from underfoot and off the top of the layout. It can be easily pulled out if I need to get under the layout.

Attachments

• walk in section.jpg
    walk in section.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 113

Lighthorseman

...And The Machine Shop...

Here, a C-16 pulls by the machine shop under construction.

Attachments

• in background.jpg
    in background.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 110

Mrs.Mac

Week 1 Update

Not much has happened. I did manage to get the switches and reversing sections wired to the control panels. Then I got sidetracked by my birthday. Mr. Mac gave me the new Lionel HO Challenger, so not much work on the layout got done after that.

I'm in the process of trying to add lighting to some of my passenger cars and a Bachmann speeder.

I did also manage to finish servicing all the engines and rolling stock I received at Christmas and for early birthday gifts.

Well, gotta run. Work calls.

Mrs. Mac

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Not much happened!

Well, I had planned to do more benchwork, as that is really what I need before anything else can go much further.

Did not do it :mad: , but built a really cool timber portal with help from people at The Gauge, so I blame you...! ;) :p ;)

All kidding aside, this is a good motivator and there's lot so good stuff here people! Now I just need some help creating more time...

Andrew

Tileguy

Ahhh , Umm , well, errr,
I have some really good excuses and i mean doosies but ya'll dont want to hear them.Suffice it to say week 3 will be playing catchup cause week 1 and 2 will be over before i get a chance:(

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Great to see all the activity.
This weeks goals
#1 Glue the pink foam in place.
#2 Add masonite backboard
#3 Finish the Griswold hospital that should have been done last week

Arlaghan

OK, I'm a bit lost as to when a week ends or begins, so I guess weekend will be just that. So... for this week I plan to:

1. Finish the exterior wall details on the Wendy's (the stripes, the faux roof, the door in the back, and if I can, the two signs. Also the walk-in freezers - This Wendy's has two.)

2. On Saturday, plan to visit the mountain layout and start working on the abandoned mine. Hopefully the tree kit will have arrived and we can start making trees and populate the mountain with them.

shaywen

My week was short since I started late, but I have managed to:
1. shop for krylon primer... didn't find any in two hardware stores, and the paint store was closed already when I got there.
2. cut out more homemade wipers to replace the remaining MDC wipers and pick-up pads.

This weeks goals are to:
1. solder wires onto the wipers and fit them nicely to the trucks.
2. find primer and buy it!
3. complete the pre paint prep work on the shays.
4. spray on a coat of primer.