Digital Navy - USS Arizona - 1/100

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks everyone, keep the votes coming. I'm tinkering with some minor handrail work today.

Thus far we have 2 votes for turret #2, 1 vote for aft mast and cranes, and 1 vote for the 5" open mounts and shields.

A very tight race to this point!

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Well it seems the sentiment against doing the main guns has been well registered. :) I can understand too. I can't remember doing a ship yet where I jumped to the main guns before the closing stages.

So to recap, here's what we have...
Aft tripod mast and boat cranes - 3 votes
#2 Turret - 2 votes
5" deck guns and shields - 1 vote

Looks like the Aft mast will start to take shape on my work bench today! Thanks for participating in the vote everyone. That was fun.

SEBRET

May 19, 2008
Earth
www.flickr.com
Awesome

wow, just read this thread for the first time, amazing. obviously im new to the forums, but i have been doing card models for about 4-5 years. up until recently I've restricted myself to small stuff like Homeworld models and pepakura files. about a month ago i discovered these ship models while browsing warcenter. I have been determined since then to get all of GPM's 1/200 BB kits like the Missouri and the Bismarck, and upscale to 1/100. I'm excited to see that im not the only one wishing to take on this challenge, and to be honest, I doubt my models will ever match yours, but you've given me all the motivation i need to keep working towards starting my own projects, thank you.

I am curious however. i have some of these models and i don't see an anchor chain template anywhere. does that mean you have to buy your own chain and cut to length?

Keep up the Great work, after all, Hermit isn't the only one waiting for you to find bugs to fix
sign1

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Aft Tri-pod Mast Begins

Thanks Sebret!

I'm glad I could inspire some inspiration and future perspiration. sign1 This is my first "super scale" build, so I'm learning quite a bit myself. I had never scratch built handrails until this project, and it's a neat skill to refine. Very useful.

Anchor chain is usually a personal choice in the card medium. There are some who attempt to build it, while I personally choose to use model link chain from the model RR community. It's all in your own personal taste.

If you want some more 1/100 inspiration, head on over to this forum and check out the folks on the other side of the pond...
kartonbau.de - Kartonmodellbau, Kartonmodelle, Cardmodels, Cardmodeling
These guys specialize in super scale ship builds. I got much of my inspiration for this model from these folks.

Here's a quick update on the aft tripod mast. Again, like the forward mast, I used styrenne tube to act as a former for the mast trunks. I've mounted the middle mast and only dry fit the outer legs at this point. I have to add some more platforms above and need these to be loose for the moment.

The first platform is finished and glued to the main trunk. Lots of little gusset plates and braces on the bottom to build. Makes these assemblies more time consuming than you would first guess.

All the parts for the tripod mast trunks and first two platforms. No parts shown for the spotting room that goes on top of the mast.
2514432702_d90c330a3d.jpg

Completed mast legs, dry fit
2514433128_5156080feb.jpg

First platform complete on the work bench. This supports a main battery range finder for the #3 and #4 turrets.
2514433496_b939cfd695.jpg

First platform glued to the center trunk only. Dryfit to the other two. The white spot shows where the main battery range finder goes.
2513609265_07475ecd42.jpg

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
Your model continues to amaze. Incredible to see such clean work in such a large scale. Digital Navy does excellent/superb work, but I would think that any of the kit's miniscule errors would be magnified.

SEBRET

May 19, 2008
Earth
www.flickr.com
since the model is so sturdy in its design when up sized, i say you should try a 1/50 model after this, or better yet, save that aggravation for me. i noticed that the ship is about 6-6.5 feet correct? the GPM model of the Arizona is 135cm which comes out to about 4 feet, and its a 1/200 scale, which would put the 1/100 up size at about 8 feet, so did i make a stupid math error, or is there a size difference between the two real ships?

Keep up the good work

exzealot

Jul 3, 2007
Lake Orion, MI
Eibwarrior,

The Arizona is absolutely stunning - fit for a museum.

My parents are retired and are now living in Tellico Village. Perhaps I can stop by and we can launch this beast into the Tennessee River!

Ken

SEBRET

May 19, 2008
Earth
www.flickr.com
My apologies, i meant to refer to the GPM 1/200 Missouri model in the last post, but i wrote Arizona by accident. Still, I don't think it adds up right. The Missouri comes out to 8 feet in 1/100, and the Arizona only comes to 6 feet. Did I miss something? I thought all the USS BB's were all relatively close in size. I guess I'll have to do a little research. anyway, keep up the good work, i cant wait to jump in the ring with you.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
The Arizona was commissioned in 1916 at 31,400 tons

The Missouri was commissioned in 1944 at at 45,000 tons

These are two completely different eras in battleship design. The Arizona is a "Newport Conference Design" and the Mighty Mo is a "Washington Treaty Design"

The six to eight feet disparity at this scale is accurate. My wall is only about 7 1/2 feet long, so you can see the reason for my selection. :)

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
I never thought of it that way Gregory, but you're right. No ship construction in my home takes place without first evaluating display space. :)

An 8' Fuso is a tempting project, but I had to dismiss the thought when I realized the bow would pass my door way.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Aft Tri-pod Mast Taking Shape

Hey guys, time for another weekly upload. I've past the first platform and added the second and third platforms to the tripod mast. The outer legs are now secure to both the ship and each of the platforms.

I've started with adding the range finder on the first platform and the associated handrails. I'm slowly moving my way up the structure and hope to get to the spotting room real soon.

I'm starting to run short on styrene round, so I might be delayed with all the handrail work associated with this part. wall1

It's all good though. Plenty of other things to work on if I run out of handrail material...:thumb:

arizona108zi1.jpg

arizona109vk4.jpg

arizona110rf9.jpg

arizona111hb4.jpg

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Working my way up

I've hit the second platform hard this past weekend. I've built all the handrails, the ladder up to the next platform, and all the search lights. The search lights were neat little assemblies.

There is some kind of tri-angular boom coming off the third and upper most platform. DN provides a diagram of this assembly and I made it from styrene round. I've got to add handrails to this small, upper-most platform before I can proceed with the spotting room up on top of this tri-pod.

First picture shows a pair of the completed search lights. Second shows the work to this point on the completed search light platform. Notice there are lights on all four corners. Third shot is a stand-off shot. I haven't done one of these in a while and wanted to back up to get a shot of how things are taking shape.

Updates again soon.

arizona112aw3.jpg

arizona113az1.jpg

arizona114zh4.jpg