Digital Navy - USS Arizona - 1/100

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by eibwarrior, Sep 15, 2007.

1. gorwing

gorwing New Member

Wow...

It takes a lot of heart, patience, time and efforts to build this masterpiece, something that I don't have, except a little patience.:smile:

I really have learned a lot from this build, especially the handrail tutorials. Thanks a lot.

Great attention and refinement to those tiny details make this build really outstanding. :thumb:
  2. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

On to the splinter shields!

Thanks for the very kind comments gorwing. Sometimes I have to just get up and walk away from her. Patience has it's limits. This has become an 11-month project and then some to come, so I'm getting modelers' fatigue at times. But onward we go.

I've started and finished the splinter shields on the port side. These went quick. Very easy to construct. Adding the small exterior ribs is really the most time consuming part of this. They look good. I will flip and go to the starboard side tonight.

I've take an overall shot in here since I've added the cranes and shields. I've not done a backup shot in a while.

At the bottom of this entry, I've made my last shot of the boat cranes. I added a lot of detail from the last shots. I added a single-line handrail that runs up the boom and added the cables/block-hooks. I found a nice shot of the Pennsylvania (sister ship to the Arizona) that really shows these fine boom details that need to be scratch built to render accurately. You can see the two photos side-by-side for comparison.

After I finish the starboard side shields, it's on to the 5" deck guns that sit behind them. Parts galore! wall1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Still coming along very nicely!
  4. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Class act well done...Keep on adding and do not get dissillusioned with it

John John
  5. Gregory Shoda

Gregory Shoda Member

The bridge & crane area photos are beautiful. Great work!
  6. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

Starboard Side Shields & 5"/25s

Starboard side shields are now finished. Now I can get on with the business of building 5"/25s. These are the standard duty dual purpose 5" guns of that era. Good for AA and sea targets alike.

Here's some shots of the parts involved. As you can see, lots of little bits to cut out and assemble. They do make a handsome little model when finished. Two down, six to go...:mrgreen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

I'm inclined to think if I were to open a hatch and run in- I could trip over the lip of the hatchway, skin my shin and get a nice bruise on my knee.
  8. barry

barry Active Member

still watching just run out of superlatives ................ a bigger picture of the gun would be nice though !
  9. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

I agree with Barry & want bigger gun picture(s). It looks great!
  10. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

Thanks guys.

No problem. I'm going to take this opportunity to enlarge that last photo... It's a bit blurry at this size. I'll take some more shots tonight and try better lighting with cropping.

In the meantime an update. I've almost finished the other two 5"/25s on the starboard side. Quite a lot goes into them with the seats, hand wheels etc. They're fun but complex to build. Each gun has about 25-30 parts.

I've attached a good photo of what these guns look like in the flesh. The attached photos is from USS New Mexico.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

Still more 5"/25s

You want more pictures, you got 'em. :thumb:

Here's some close ups the best I could do with my amateur photo skills. I've now finished all four mounts on the starboard side, so I've flipped to do the port side now.

I failed to mention earlier that I used some aluminum tube (1/16" diameter) as a former for the 5" barrel. This worked well as it did with the 5"/51s that I did in the shelter deck. I love the fact that you actually have a metallic looking muzzle at the end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. barry

barry Active Member

Thanks Elb.......................looks great
  13. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

Thanks for the close-ups. Very nice builds. They must have been a bit of a challenge, well worth the effort though.

cheers
    ~Douglas
  14. birder

birder member

Wow, thanks for such a wonderful build thread, have been enjoying this, and although no shipbuilding myself I have enjoyed Barry's and Carl's ships. This is a wonderful build and inspiration for us builders! The extra size is fitting, as with Barry's Tarawa as it adds to the majesty and mystique of these great ships.
  15. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

Thanks everyone...

It has been a great experience, and now I'm nearing the end. I'm working on the port side 5"/25s today and I have two complete, only two more to go. I'll upload pictures tomorrow.

Once I nail these down, I'm going to move to killing some white spots on the fantail. Then comes the big guns!!!! :)
  16. redhorse

redhorse Member

This is very nice, I'm looking forward to seeing the rigging! That's always a difficult thing for me, and I bet I'll learn some good techniques here.
  17. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

Port side 5"/25s finished

There we go. All finished with the 5" on the Port side. That was tough but rewarding. A week's worth of naval gun building sign1

Here's a shot of what they look like.

On to vents, platforms, inclined ladders around the #3 turret. Once I have these small details in place I can then start the barbette for the #3 gun. Then the turrets themselves.

[​IMG]
  18. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

ohhh the talent

Well done

John John
  19. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

Details, Details...

Thanks John.

I've been working on deckhouses, vents, vacant gun platforms, stairs and handrails in the Turret 3 area. I'm going to clean a lot of this little stuff up around the #3 barbette. Then I'm going to build and place the #3 barbette.

At that point I'll feel comfortable starting the No. 2 and No. 3 turrets!

bounce7

[​IMG]
  20. barry

barry Active Member

quite incredible