Digital Navy - USS Arizona - 1/100

redhorse

I need to post a comment here too finally. It's been really enjoyable watching this go together, you're doing an incredible job eibwarrior!

Thanks guys.

A quick note of interest... I noticed the other night as I turned out the light, that my wall shelf has hit maximum capacity for this model. I noticed a bit of a sag or detachment from the wall anchors. I quickly moved the ARIZONA to safer ground (kitchen table :) ) and I addressed the shelf.

I had to add two 1/4" toggle bolts and two more drywall anchors. That seems to have done the trick. The shelf now holds steady and shows no sign of sagging.

It's a good thing I noticed this before I heard a crash in the night. :) I'm guessing the model must now weigh somewhere close to about 15 pounds???

Tedious Gun Director

Well, the progress is slow, but these gun directors are handsome assemblies when you get them in place. The first of the series of pictures shows all the pieces involved in these two monsters that sit atop the forward superstructure and platforms. I've put the curved handrails in place and have built one of these assemblies. One takes about 2-3 hours to complete. :eek:

Also, you'll notice in the shots that I've added the ship's bell in the upper platforms and under the main trunk of the forward mast, and I've added a couple search lights on the lower platforms.

It's been a while since I've taken an overall shot of the ARIZONA, so I've added one so you can get the sense of what she looks like right now. Lots left to go, too much empty space on the decks. :p

arizona82ty6.jpg

arizona83va5.jpg

arizona84fo4.jpg

arizona85gk0.jpg

dansls1

Looks great - this is one of the threads that I keep a close eye on as I love how this giant ship is coming together ;)

waynebuild

Hello to all members ofZealot

Hello to all members of Zealot. I am an avid modeller from Trinidad & Tobago, in the Caribbeam. I have multiple modelling interests and I am embarking on my first model railroad project. Iam researching as much information I can get. So thanks for welcoming me into your forum.

waynebuild

Weekly Update

I bet at times you feel like your head is going to explode
Mauiman, I have to step back and take a break some days. Progress is measured in inches instead of feet. That can be discouraging.

I've got some progress to show. I finished the second gun director, the one on the starboard side. I was glad to finish those two beasts. They don't look like much, but I assure you they are. I can't immagine building those at 1/250 scale.

I've completed the crow's nest below the spotting room. I'm now above the funnel top, because my printing has turned to USN light gray. I've also assembled and mounted the spotting room on the forward mast. There is a level to go on top of this and another platform before I can start working the trademark "triangular" booms. I've also got to go back and add handrails to the platforms here in the forward tripod mast.

On we roll! :thumb:

arizona86up7.jpg

arizona87bg9.jpg

arizona88lb1.jpg

arizona89lo0.jpg

arizona90dz2.jpg

arizona91ip0.jpg

NYC Irish

were the sheets printed out as they came on th CD or did you edit the pages to fit for specific scaling to 250%?

Well Done So far.

John John

John John... The CD from Digital Navy has the files at Adobe Acrobat files. I went into a full version of Adobe and simply enlarged the printout size to 250% in the print set up screen. I printed the black and white parts out at my office on an Oce' large media printer. I took the color parts to a graphics reproduction company, and instructed them to print the parts at 250% enlargement on high resolution. The color printing cost me a good bit.

Barry... Yep, the Polish mob are my heros. No one builds "big" like those guys. :)

Weekly upload

Hey everyone!

I have some more to show. I've finished the spotting room on the forward mast. There was an additional room on top and platform to add from the previous photos. Once that was completed, I tackled the two triangular, open-web booms coming off the back of the spotting room.

I scratch built these from styrene round of various diameters. The DN instructions show roughly to scale how big these should be, but don't go into detail on the assembly of the individual pieces. I had to rely on a lot of photos of the 1/96 model at the Arizona Memorial for this. So with photos in hand, I built them to my interpretation.

I think they came out well. I was surprised that they not only fit the connection points, but they were level and square as well. Very easy to glue into place.

Now that the forward superstructure is nearly complete, I'm falling back on small details to finish the back of the s.s. Handrails, etc. I want to start the funnel this weekend, and I need to finish up some stairs and rails that I cannot easily get to once the funnel is in place.

Fun, fun, fun! :thumb:

Laying out, fitting, cutting and gluing the booms here.
arizona92wk4.jpg

Dry fit, with no paint just to check allignment and look here
arizona93qz8.jpg

Finished, painted and in place here. They look very symmetrical and level from all angles.
arizona94hf1.jpg

lriera

I like very much your clean way of build it. No glue, no wite edges, perfect fit... it keeps me fighting to improve my own technique.

Thank you.