Digital Navy - USS Arizona - 1/100

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Barry & Mauiman

I should have some shots of the aft spotting room ready in the next day or two. I've been piddling with my 1/350 Arizona instead of my 1/100 Arizona the last couple days. I need to re-focus. :)

SEBRET

May 19, 2008
Earth
www.flickr.com
looking good Eib.

I have a question for you. I just got my Copy of the GPM Missouri in the mail today, and as usual the mailman decided to fold the one package that said in BOLD letters "do not fold". do you know a way to get the crease out of the book?

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Sebret... That's tough. Your prints have probably been permanently compromised depending on how deep the crease is.

The only suggestion I have is to flatten out and scan the prints to electronic files. If you have access to a scanner. You can scan them to JPEG files and use a couple different software packages to "clean up" the crease marks. Then re-print...

Obviously if you don't have access to a scanner, then this isn't an option.

Only solution that comes to me though.

Good luck with that problem.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Aft Mast Nearly Complete

Well, short of the machine guns in the upper nest and ammo lockers this aft mast is pretty well finished. It went very well. I had some problems getting it square and plumb, but not too much.

I ran across some nice black & white photos of the aft mast that really shows how much attention Roman paid to detail. It's strikingly close.

One small typo in the part numbers department to report, for future DN Arizona modelers... The upper nest in the aft mast has four machine guns and they are part number 172 and not 171 as printed on the floor of the nest. PN 171 is the 5" deck guns that go on top of the shelter deck...

I'm going on two weeks vacation starting this weekend, so no updates for a while after this. I'll start the boat cranes when I return at the end of June. :mrgreen:

2568755540_a4a118c84e.jpg

2568755636_2126bacef8.jpg

2568755752_1d086b2f5a.jpg

2567932137_150d0babca.jpg

2567932225_9fc7fc4421_b.jpg

Attachments

• 013933r.jpg
    013933r.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 013933s.jpg
    013933s.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 22

reklein

Jun 11, 2008
Lewiston ID
Great project EIB. I'm new to the forum and just dropped in on this project. I'm currently building a Model Card 1/200 Arizona. I started it about 10 years ago and rediscovered it. I was interrupted by a move and never got back to it. The instructions for this model are minimal and the drawings are the same. I've also had some trouble with the fit, and so it goes. I'm chalking it up to experience.Its my first large ship although I've built about a half dozen planes in 1/33.
Sebret, you might try flattening your sheets with a steam iron set on the lowest setting that will produce steam. Maybe sandwich it between a couple other sheets. I have not done this but read about this as a method to flatten rolled plans.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
I'm Back!

The two week break was great, but I'm finding it hard to get back into the build. I picked up the boat cranes when I returned last week and didn't realize how complicated and indepth their construction was... Whoops! :eek:ops:

I've begun to get some rhythm though, and I'm seeing progress again. I've built the two stanchions that support the crane booms. They have neat circular, ribbed hubs and conical tops. Here's some shots of those in progress. The crane booms are typical of USN ships of this era. laced steel webs with solid sides. Lots of hobby knife work on these lattices. Looks great finished though. I'll be mounting the first of the two booms shortly.

Here's some shots.

As you can see from the first photo, lots and lots of parts in these crane assemblies. Roman went to the hilt on details for these. Great job as a designer.
2646523383_5429d66c32.jpg

2647353974_af70aee783.jpg

2647354104_f42d604d7d.jpg

2646523833_d811f0e991.jpg

2646524013_5002d7d51e.jpg

More updates soon!

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Port Side Crane

Thanks Barry, good to hear from you!:thumb:

I added the boom to the port side crane. This was tricky to mount. I had to use some temporary string to suspend the boom in place while gluing the hinges to the stanchion. Then I added the upper arm support to the boom. This gave it much more rigidity and the fit-up was quite good.

I have to add some cables for the hoists and the hoist blocks. This won't take long. I'll use some fine, black thread (waxed) for cables and the DN kit came with parts for the blocks/hooks.

Then it will be on to the starboard side boom.

2650066003_a3054d0002.jpg

2650893108_67102dca29.jpg

SEBRET

May 19, 2008
Earth
www.flickr.com
Nice to see you back in the swing of things. Looking good as always. Do you cover the model why you aren't working on it? It seem like eventually you would need to dust it, but your build always looks so clean and new in your pics.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Midnight Oil

Thanks Sebret, it's great to be back into it.

No, I don't cover the Arizona. I've been blessed with a very clean ventilation system in my house. I keep good filters in the system, and I don't have much dust problem in my modeling room. I will hit the deck with a shot of compressed air (keyboard cleaner) from time to time, but I've never had to put a dust brush or rag on it. Just fortunate, I guess.

After a couple nights of burning the midnight oil, I have the second (starboard) boom in place. I had a bit of a time getting both booms set to the same visual level, but with some patience and adjustable string I was able to glue this boom in place to match the relative level of the other.

I've still got to tinker with the cables and blocks/hooks, but these are essentially finished. I think I will move on to the shields and 5" deck guns on the weather deck now. Yippee! bounce7

2655837527_0fb1ba27a0.jpg

CK Styles

Jul 10, 2007
Lincoln, NE USA
Those booms are great. I have never built a ship before. They seem to be a bit daunting. My biggest concern is getting that hull to look right. I would guess that takes plenty of practice.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks CK!

Ships can be a bit daunting. I would recommend starting small, like with Digital Navy's free Dreadnought download or a cheaper JSC or Maly Modelarz ship. Once you knock a couple of those out, you'll be ready to take on a beast like Arizona or one of the fine Japanese Super Dreadnoughts.

I've added some nice details to the cranes (cables, hooks/blocks and some single line rails) and I'll upload those photos soon. I've moved on to the splinter shields for the 5" weatherdeck guns. Those are going fast and I'll get some photos up on those soon too.

CK Styles

Jul 10, 2007
Lincoln, NE USA
Thanks for the suggestions. I would like to try my hand at one of these. I will take your advice and start with the dreadnought. I definately plan on starting small. lol!! I look forward to more pics of your fine build.

M

Mark_1984

You might find my Dreadnought thread interesting - it's a small model and very fiddly. The link is in my sig below.