Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part I

Discussion in 'The Caboose' started by Chief Eagles, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Jeffrey:

Dont touch the insides of the computer - - It's insured by the surge suppressor's warranty :) :) At the least - partially

Renovo
    As far as grounded phone lines - we have them here too....but it's no gaurantee... most ground lines will stop your phones from exploding like the outside box... They still melt from the initial blast of the voltage/amperage surge :(

My cable guy commented when we got our cable phone modem.. It's almost a given that it will sacrifice itself to prevent our cable wiring in the walls from superheating and burning inside the walls :( :(

......... but you hardly ever see microchip driven devices survive a direct hit :( This is the best reason I can see, to unplug the DCC stuff when it's not being used...
  2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I agree a direct hit is going to get everything. I have years of experience and a few miles of electric fence to prove a direct hit is a killer. I have been lucky on the house so far though the external devices should help some, I hope.
  3. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

Tell me about it! I was trained by a professional electrical tech and I know what lightning can do. I had a good friend who was killed by a lightning strike while using the computer during a storm. The lightning came right up the phone line, through the suppressor, into the computer and zapped right out the keyboard to him. The coroner said he died instantly and probably never knew what hit him. His system, like mine, was on a high quality surge protector. When A thunder storm comes round my way all the computer equipment gets turned off, the surge suppressor (I have a really big one, 3,500 joules) gets turned off, the cable line to the modem is disconnected and the breaker (the line going to the computer has it's own) gets turned off. The surge unit at the fire station is/was an APC unit, the biggest, baddest one they make, and the lightning took it out like it wasn't even there, and STILL zapped the computer! I'm glad nobody was in the building at the time.
  4. jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning and top 'o' the day to all of ye.

Today's Weather for:
    Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/5/2007

Sundown Fire Dept., Station 23

Heat Index: 80°F
    Humidity: 89%
    Dew Point: 72°F

So Far Today
    High: 76°F
    Low: 75°F
    Rain: 0.00"
    Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
    Gust: 9mph SSE

Today High: 88 Partly sunny. Highs in the upper 80s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 70 Mostly cloudy. Lows around 70. Southeast winds around 10 mph.

[​IMG]
  5. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

Morning. Cloudy but no rain. Off to train meet. Later
  6. N Gauger

Clear Skies - 54 going up to 66.... Flea Market today - First big one of the year.... Off to hunt bargains.... goldtoth1 goldtoth1 goldtoth1
  7. jeffrey-wimberl

We've got the May Fest going on in Leesville at present, so the main street (Third Street) of the business district is filled with arts and crafts booths, snack stands, live bands (mostly country), a street carnival, car shows, etc. This stretches out for over half a mile. The May Fest started in Leesville 31 years ago as a half day celebration of spring and through the years has gotten bigger and more popular. It now goes for three days and nights and is the hottest ticket is town that has seen such notables as Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan and George Bush (both of them) stop in and join in for the festivities. There have also been several famous book authors, movie actors, etc. For the last two nights there has been dancing in the streets, which in a city of approx 10,000 turns into a real event!

Today's Weather for:
    Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/6/2007

Heat Index: 79°F
    Humidity: 92%

So Far Today
    High: 75°F
    Low: 74°F
    Gust: 18mph SSE

Today High: 88 Partly sunny with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 68 Mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 60s. Southeast winds around 10 mph in the evening becoming light and variable.

The breakfast bar is open.

[​IMG]
  8. Straycat

Straycat Member

Back in Missouri and thought we missed the NASCAR race last night but it was postponed so we can watch today. A lot of grass grew while we were gone.
    It's too wet to mow, maybe we should rent a goat. :mrgreen:
  9. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

Good morning from Kansas
  10. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

straycat are you getting or did you get the thunder storms we had here in Kansas
  11. Straycat

Straycat Member

The weather guy says more thunder storms are on the way. We've been away for a while so I don't know about last week. No flooding so far.
  12. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

Morning. Had very light rain. Now sun. Have a good one.
  13. jeffrey-wimberl

I went down to third street early this morning to get some pics of the May Fest vendors area before the festivities start for the final day. These pics represent only a small area. In the condition I'm in there's no way I could walk from one end of the area to the other. That's almost half a mile, one way. Enjoy the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yesterday, May 5th, the MC called on and recognized the area fire departments and issued them certificates of appreciation for their heroic efforts. In 1987 the downtown districts of Leesville and Rosepine were almost destroyed by fire. It was through the selfless efforts of these people that the two cities were saved.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

Looks like a good time jeff
  15. N Gauger

Really Cool!!!!!
  16. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

When I hear the thunder boom, I unplug everything electronic, Save time dealing with our insurance by not cooking the computer, phones and TV.
  17. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I had to go to the Pittsburgh area for my daughter’s soccer game today. I was driving down the road when I saw some CN rolling stock. I never knew they had any rolling in this area but it appears they service some of the coal yards along the Mon.

Another thing I noticed was that the tracks going up the Allegheny are now reduced to a single track up near New Kensington. I guess they took them out awhile back on the West side of the river but when I was a kid there were a double main line out from Pittsburgh.

[FONT=&quot]One last thing I was driving near Cresson last week and noticed a train bridge that was clearly marked Pennsylvania Railroad. I though it was cool to see the grand old name still around after all of these years. Someday I should take a few photographs of these.

Oh I don't really unplug any of my stuff since I have replacement cost on my farm owners policy. I figure if it gets hit I just end up with a new and better computer. Besides it is a covered cause of loss and what happens when the storm hits and I'm not home to unplug it.
    [/FONT]
  18. jeffrey-wimberl

Today's Weather for:
    Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/7/2007

Heat Index: 77°F
    Humidity: 100%

So Far Today
    High: 73°F
    Low: 70°F
    Gust: 6mph NNE

Now through 07:00 AM CDT May 07, 2007

High: 88

Through 7 AM...patchy and dense ground fog will cause visibilities to vary from greater than 1 mile down to a few feet. Motorists are urged to exercise caution and watch for rapid changes in visibilities. Rear end collisions are a common Hazard with this type of changing patchy dense fog. The fog should lift by around 7 AM.

Today High: 88 Partly sunny. Isolated showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Tonight Low: 65 Mostly cloudy. Isolated showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the mid 60s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph becoming light and variable. Chance of rain 20 percent.

I'll have the scrambled eggs today.

[​IMG]
  19. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Good morning, it is an excellant spring day ahead.

I am leaving for a doctors appointment, a follow up from my recent hospitalazation.

I am awaiting on a new air gun I bought on line that may come tody hopefully.

It shoots pellets at 450 FPS and with metal siloet should targets should prove 'iibe great fum. It will take care of the starlings that raiding my bird feeders too.

Picture below is the model I bought. These things are not cheap, not like the bb guns we had as kids.

[​IMG]
  20. Straycat

Straycat Member

Does it work for squirrels? jawdrop
    We have a lot of moles and yesterday one of the wild stray cats around here did an exterminating job on one. They ruin the lawn in record time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.