Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning and top 'o' the day to all of ye.

It's very quiet here the day after the storms, too quiet. What's next?

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/4/2007

Sundown Fire Dept., Station 23

Wind Chill: 68°F
Humidity: 96%
Dew Point: 67°F

So Far Today
High: 68°F
Low: 64°F
Rain: 0.07"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 7mph SE

Today High: 85 Partly sunny. A 20 percent chance of showers in the morning. Patchy fog in the morning. Highs in the mid 80s. South winds around 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 70 Mostly cloudy. Lows around 70. Southeast winds around 10 mph.

For breakfast today I'll have the bacon and eggs.

bacon.jpg

Chief Eagles

Sep 30, 2005
Rolesville NC [just north of Raleigh]
Morning all. Cloudy and cool. Winter back? Had to close up greenhouse. No rain as we were promised a lot. :confused: Think the Texicans stole it all. Buddy near Houston got 3 inches in 30 minutes. Off to go get some wire for train wiring project. Have a good one.

Straycat

Apr 18, 2007
Missouri
www.myspace.com
Rainy day here in California, visiting my sister and friends and the sun is gone. But it keeps everything green. Flying back to rainy Missouri tomorrow.
Tear jerker from a band call Blue Highway.

"He called from Kansas City
He said I'm on the Missouri side
She said you had me worried
I was expecting you tonight
The silence that followed caused her heartbeat to race
so she got out a map, her hands trembling as she sat
for the next words he would say

Chorus:
Then her tears fell on Missouri
Like rain a-pourin' down
he just called and told her
about a new love he'd found
the children lay a-sleepin'
they don't know their daddy's gone
and her tears fell on Missouri
from their little Georgia home

She said what about our babies
Don't you remember the day
the doctor gave 'em to you
and your tears of joy
fell on their face
you should've thought of their feelings 'cause it's not just you and me alone
and what am I gonna say to our angels when they wake
and ask why dad's not coming home "

erikstoll

Apr 19, 2007
Morning again, i woke up thismorning, and its nice and cold.. and snow on the ground here in Reno... what the...?

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
I stopped at the Sundown fire station on my way back from town a little while ago and found that the station had taken a major lightning strike last night. It hit the telephone service box on the outside of the building, causing the box to explode. I found pieces of it (big pieces) scattered in an almost straight line out from the building to a distance of about thirty feet. Upon examining the phone lines inside the station I found that all the connections were blown apart and the lines were melted. This is looking like a total rewire. Also their computer took part of the hit. It was plugged into the biggest, baddest surge protector that Dell sells and still got hit. The port in the protector where the phone line goes in is burned and melted. This was a really big strike! One of my fellow fire fighters asked me if that phone line was grounded. I told him the same thing that many professional electrical techs have told me. There's no such thing as a grounded phone line. Anybody who tells you that phone lines are grounded is talking through his hat. I've worked on many homes and businesses as an electricians apprentice and I know a lot about it. I rewired my own home when I rebuilt it and it and it passed as surpassing code, no problem.

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
I will be the first to state I'm not a telephone installer. However I took a quick look at my phone line at the point it enters the basement and it has a solid copper wire running from the telephone network interface box to a ground rod. It has a clear label stating phone line ground do not remove or disconnect. If disconnect please contact telephone company.

Like I said I know nothing about the outside connections for a phone line though I did just redo all of my inside line with Cat 5 from the TNI box to every phone jack. This improved my DSL service.

Now I live on a farm in the country and between electric fences and long lines of telephone/electric lines there isn't much of anything higher than the grass. I have invested in extra external protection since the regular inside device will only protect against a small surge.

So far it has worked for the house but even with far more lighting suppress devices on the fence than I can count I haven't found anything that will take a direct hit on the fence line.

As for the ground line on the telephone I don't know maybe they do things different out here in the country.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Jeffrey:

Dont touch the insides of the computer - - It's insured by the surge suppressor's warranty :) :) At the least - partially

Renovo
As far as grounded phone lines - we have them here too....but it's no gaurantee... most ground lines will stop your phones from exploding like the outside box... They still melt from the initial blast of the voltage/amperage surge :(

My cable guy commented when we got our cable phone modem.. It's almost a given that it will sacrifice itself to prevent our cable wiring in the walls from superheating and burning inside the walls :( :(

......... but you hardly ever see microchip driven devices survive a direct hit :( This is the best reason I can see, to unplug the DCC stuff when it's not being used...

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
I agree a direct hit is going to get everything. I have years of experience and a few miles of electric fence to prove a direct hit is a killer. I have been lucky on the house so far though the external devices should help some, I hope.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Tell me about it! I was trained by a professional electrical tech and I know what lightning can do. I had a good friend who was killed by a lightning strike while using the computer during a storm. The lightning came right up the phone line, through the suppressor, into the computer and zapped right out the keyboard to him. The coroner said he died instantly and probably never knew what hit him. His system, like mine, was on a high quality surge protector. When A thunder storm comes round my way all the computer equipment gets turned off, the surge suppressor (I have a really big one, 3,500 joules) gets turned off, the cable line to the modem is disconnected and the breaker (the line going to the computer has it's own) gets turned off. The surge unit at the fire station is/was an APC unit, the biggest, baddest one they make, and the lightning took it out like it wasn't even there, and STILL zapped the computer! I'm glad nobody was in the building at the time.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/5/2007

Heat Index: 80°F
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 72°F

So Far Today
High: 76°F
Low: 75°F
Rain: 0.00"
Gust: 9mph SSE

Today High: 88 Partly sunny. Highs in the upper 80s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 70 Mostly cloudy. Lows around 70. Southeast winds around 10 mph.

steak-eggs.jpg

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA

We've got the May Fest going on in Leesville at present, so the main street (Third Street) of the business district is filled with arts and crafts booths, snack stands, live bands (mostly country), a street carnival, car shows, etc. This stretches out for over half a mile. The May Fest started in Leesville 31 years ago as a half day celebration of spring and through the years has gotten bigger and more popular. It now goes for three days and nights and is the hottest ticket is town that has seen such notables as Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan and George Bush (both of them) stop in and join in for the festivities. There have also been several famous book authors, movie actors, etc. For the last two nights there has been dancing in the streets, which in a city of approx 10,000 turns into a real event!

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/6/2007

Heat Index: 79°F
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 72°F

So Far Today
High: 75°F
Low: 74°F
Rain: 0.00"
Gust: 18mph SSE

Today High: 88 Partly sunny with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 68 Mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 60s. Southeast winds around 10 mph in the evening becoming light and variable.

The breakfast bar is open.

breakfastbar.jpg

Straycat

Apr 18, 2007
Missouri
www.myspace.com
Back in Missouri and thought we missed the NASCAR race last night but it was postponed so we can watch today. A lot of grass grew while we were gone.
It's too wet to mow, maybe we should rent a goat. :mrgreen:

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
I went down to third street early this morning to get some pics of the May Fest vendors area before the festivities start for the final day. These pics represent only a small area. In the condition I'm in there's no way I could walk from one end of the area to the other. That's almost half a mile, one way. Enjoy the pics.

mfest1.jpg

mfest2.jpg

mfest3.jpg

mfest4.jpg

mfest5.jpg

Yesterday, May 5th, the MC called on and recognized the area fire departments and issued them certificates of appreciation for their heroic efforts. In 1987 the downtown districts of Leesville and Rosepine were almost destroyed by fire. It was through the selfless efforts of these people that the two cities were saved.

mfest6.jpg

mfest7.jpg

mfest8.jpg

mfest9.jpg

mfest10.jpg

mfest11.jpg

mfest12.jpg

mfest13.jpg

mfest14.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.