Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part I

Discussion in 'The Caboose' started by Chief Eagles, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Straycat

Straycat Member

Just listening to a new cd of train songs call Mystery Train. Mostly bluegrass and country singers.

Casey Jones - Johnny Cash Listen[​IMG]Listen [​IMG] 2. Freight Train Boogie - Whitstein Brothers Listen[​IMG]Listen [​IMG] 3. City Of New Orleans - Steve Goodman Listen[​IMG]Listen [​IMG] 4. Mystery Train - Sleepy LaBeef Listen[​IMG]Listen [​IMG] 5. The Cannonball - Carter Family Listen[​IMG]Listen [​IMG] 6. Big Black Train - Flatt & Scruggs Listen[​IMG]Listen [​IMG] 7. Red Ball To Natchez - Delmore Brothers And Wayne Raney Listen[​IMG]Listen [​IMG] 8. Take The 'A' Train - Bob Wills And His Texas Playboys Listen[​IMG]Listen [​IMG] 9. Waiting For A Train - Hank Snow Listen[​IMG]Listen [​IMG] 10. Life's Railway To Heaven - Patsy Cline Listen[​IMG]Listen [​IMG] 11. Old Train - Tony Rice Unit Listen[​IMG]Listen [​IMG] 12. Bringin' In The Georgia Mail - Jim And Jesse Listen[​IMG]Listen [​IMG] 13. Train - Stanley Brothers Listen[​IMG]Listen [​IMG] 14. Last Cannonball - Mary McCaslin Listen[​IMG]Listen [​IMG]
  2. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Good Afternoon Everyone. It's a beautiful day here today. In the upper 70's. We are getting much nicer weather now. Been busy with things around the house and soon will be going outside to enjoy this weather. Have A Great Day Everyone.
  3. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I came home at around noon and since it is in the mid 80's I gave the yard the first cut of the year. Read some of new posts on the name Zealot and had to run and get a beer to remind myself to stop reading and posting on those threads. :)

It looks like I should start some plowing later this afternoon with this great weather. Only one thing smells better than fresh turned earth - JD's Mega Smoke. :)
  4. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

I went to the LHS today and picked up a Kato ALCO RSC-2, an Athearn PB-2, a Santa Fe Canadian grain hopper, a 3-quart bag of dark green lichen, 4 bags of fine gray talus and 2 bags of WS fine turf (1 weeds and 1 burnt grass). Total cost $186.14

I got the two locos 30% off! How's that for some dealing.
  5. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Good Evening All from NE Ohio
    where the temps have fallen big time and very big T Storms on the way. :(

Well it looks like we got our MTH members web page back up and running! :mrgreen:

Well the storms are getting too close, so we are pulling the plug. :|
  6. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Too Cool!!! Great stuff!!! Post Pics when you can! :)
  7. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

Hi Guys, Don't think this new forum software likes me. This is the first time I have been able to log on. In fact I just sent the Chief an email asking if he has been able to get on. I see now that he has been on. I've tried the same user name and password many times with no result. Tonight I thought I would give it one more try and WOW, I made it. Hope everyone has been well. I've been very busy with being at York week before last and then getting things taken care of in the greenhouse, garden and pond. Did run trains a bit.

Take care,
  8. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

Morning. Glad you made it John. Pretty day outside. Atlas is my hero. Got an engine about 2 years old. Suddenly the horn started skipping notes [speaker was sputtering]. Then the next day the engine sounds started the same. Called Atlas [after pulling shelling and checking boards] and they said send it back AT NO CHARGE FOR REPAIRS. :-D Got to go get it packed and shipped. Have a good one.
  9. jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning and top 'o' the day to all of ye.

Today's Weather for:
    Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/2/2007

Sundown Fire Dept., Station 23

Heat Index: 76°F
    Humidity: 82%
    Dew Point: 66°F

So Far Today
    High: 71°F
    Low: 67°F
    Rain: 0.00"
    Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
    Gust: 9mph S

Now through 10:00 AM CDT May 02, 2007

High: 82

Through 10 AM...a few showers and thunderstorms can be expected over central Louisiana from near Anacoco to Alexandria to Marksville. This activity will maintain an east movement near 25 mph.

Today High: 82 Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 80s. Southeast winds around 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 65 Mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid 60s. Southeast winds around 10 mph.

I'll have the pancake today.

[​IMG]
  10. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

I have been resting all week and over doing it somewhat on a layout.

The last two days here were sunny and hot and I had all the windows open.

Today is a bit damp but still nice.

Bubbette has been most genorius to me regarding rest and playing with my trains.

I look forward to setting up the above ground pool, 4x16 feet for the summer and floating, grill'n out and lounging in the hamock between fishing and camping trips if the Lord gives me the gas and strength to do all that.

Atlast one summer I think I will get to enjoy.

Later this month I have a Thurdsay appointmnet at the UVA Med Center so we will head down to hatteras from they for a 3 day weekend, Lord enableing.
  11. jeffrey-wimberl

It's bad weather all day today. This is good layout work weather.

Today's Weather for:
    Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/3/2007

Wind Chill: 65°F
    Humidity: 99%
    Dew Point: 65°F

So Far Today
    High: 69°F
    Low: 65°F
    Rain: 0.07"
    Rain Rate: 0.04"/h
    Gust: 17mph SW

Today High: 80 Mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely. Some thunderstorms may produce gusty winds...heavy rainfall and frequent lightning in the morning. Highs around 80. South winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Tonight Low: 65 Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 60s. South winds around 10 mph.

I'll have the French toast today.

[​IMG]
  12. jeffrey-wimberl

Some pics of my new acquisitions.

An Athearn BB ALCO PB-2.

[​IMG]

A Kato ALCO RSC-2.

[​IMG]

I also got this nice shiny new grain hopper.

[​IMG]

After a wash of black leather dye and 70% alcohol it's not so shiny now.

[​IMG]

Oh boy! The taggers have struck! Darn kids!

[​IMG]
  13. Chief Eagles

Morning. Hoping the rain will get here soon. Planted more garden and fertilized. Great PICs. Good job. Later
  14. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Rain here today.
    Wish they could get some in georga and florida.
  15. jeffrey-wimberl

Good morning and top 'o' the day to all of ye.

It's very quiet here the day after the storms, too quiet. What's next?

Today's Weather for:
    Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/4/2007

Wind Chill: 68°F
    Humidity: 96%
    Dew Point: 67°F

So Far Today
    High: 68°F
    Low: 64°F
    Rain: 0.07"
    Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
    Gust: 7mph SE

Today High: 85 Partly sunny. A 20 percent chance of showers in the morning. Patchy fog in the morning. Highs in the mid 80s. South winds around 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 70 Mostly cloudy. Lows around 70. Southeast winds around 10 mph.

For breakfast today I'll have the bacon and eggs.

[​IMG]
  16. Chief Eagles

Morning all. Cloudy and cool. Winter back? Had to close up greenhouse. No rain as we were promised a lot. :confused: Think the Texicans stole it all. Buddy near Houston got 3 inches in 30 minutes. Off to go get some wire for train wiring project. Have a good one.
  17. Straycat

Straycat Member

Rainy day here in California, visiting my sister and friends and the sun is gone. But it keeps everything green. Flying back to rainy Missouri tomorrow.
    Tear jerker from a band call Blue Highway.

"He called from Kansas City
    He said I'm on the Missouri side
    She said you had me worried
    I was expecting you tonight
    The silence that followed caused her heartbeat to race
    so she got out a map, her hands trembling as she sat
    for the next words he would say

Chorus:
    Then her tears fell on Missouri
    Like rain a-pourin' down
    he just called and told her
    about a new love he'd found
    the children lay a-sleepin'
    they don't know their daddy's gone
    and her tears fell on Missouri
    from their little Georgia home

She said what about our babies
    Don't you remember the day
    the doctor gave 'em to you
    and your tears of joy
    fell on their face
    you should've thought of their feelings 'cause it's not just you and me alone
    and what am I gonna say to our angels when they wake
    and ask why dad's not coming home "
  18. erikstoll

erikstoll New Member

Morning again, i woke up thismorning, and its nice and cold.. and snow on the ground here in Reno... what the...?
  19. jeffrey-wimberl

I stopped at the Sundown fire station on my way back from town a little while ago and found that the station had taken a major lightning strike last night. It hit the telephone service box on the outside of the building, causing the box to explode. I found pieces of it (big pieces) scattered in an almost straight line out from the building to a distance of about thirty feet. Upon examining the phone lines inside the station I found that all the connections were blown apart and the lines were melted. This is looking like a total rewire. Also their computer took part of the hit. It was plugged into the biggest, baddest surge protector that Dell sells and still got hit. The port in the protector where the phone line goes in is burned and melted. This was a really big strike! One of my fellow fire fighters asked me if that phone line was grounded. I told him the same thing that many professional electrical techs have told me. There's no such thing as a grounded phone line. Anybody who tells you that phone lines are grounded is talking through his hat. I've worked on many homes and businesses as an electricians apprentice and I know a lot about it. I rewired my own home when I rebuilt it and it and it passed as surpassing code, no problem.
  20. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I will be the first to state I'm not a telephone installer. However I took a quick look at my phone line at the point it enters the basement and it has a solid copper wire running from the telephone network interface box to a ground rod. It has a clear label stating phone line ground do not remove or disconnect. If disconnect please contact telephone company.

Like I said I know nothing about the outside connections for a phone line though I did just redo all of my inside line with Cat 5 from the TNI box to every phone jack. This improved my DSL service.

Now I live on a farm in the country and between electric fences and long lines of telephone/electric lines there isn't much of anything higher than the grass. I have invested in extra external protection since the regular inside device will only protect against a small surge.

So far it has worked for the house but even with far more lighting suppress devices on the fence than I can count I haven't found anything that will take a direct hit on the fence line.

As for the ground line on the telephone I don't know maybe they do things different out here in the country.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.