Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldtanker

Morning everyone. I got my steamers (IHC 4-6-2 and AMH 0-8-0) from Eric the other day. I did put some of the track up yesterday and run them a little! I'm very pleased! My 4 yo grandson go to run them too and was very excited! Then my 25 yo nephew was here in the afternoon. He ran them a little too all the while telling me...I need a hobby! Being a newly wed I warned him that it could get in the way of his love life but if he wanted too start he could learn doing scenery with me and help lay track (his wife is a very good artist so maybe i can pick her brain and get something in the way of a backdrop). I also told him that with her approval he could buy engines and rolling stock and run it here until they have the space and time to do something at home.

Major winter storm is supposed to hit today and go through Friday. 10-18" of that white junk is expected.....

Have a great day!

Rick

Chief Eagles

Morning all. Tanker, only getting into the 60's here today. :wave: Got a few things to do and get ready to go to Hampton VA Bass Pro Shops for an event [Thurs thru Sunday]. A drivable for me [not flying :) ]. Got to get some train time in. Bought sheets of plywood from Lowe's yesterday to build rolling stock storage under benchwork. Have a good one.

oldtanker

Morning all, bout 5:10AM here. I've plowed the drive for the 2nd time in 12 hours. Still snowing like made and supposed to continue through Friday evening.

Have a great day!

Rick

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Brrrrrr, send some of that cold this way- I've never experienced snow, only for a few minutes actually last year, powdery stuff.

Also travelled with the train through the Hex River Valley on the way to Cape Town (snow on the mountains, the train's vapour clarkson heater stopped working and we had all our clothes on but that didn't help!

jeffrey-wimberl

I probably won't be on much today. Being that it's the first of the month, I need to pay some bills and make my monthly drive to the LHS in Alexandria. They have some things there I want to look at. I don't know exactly what I'm buying today, but I'm bringing something home. I'm not gonna make a 120 mile drive and come back empty-handed.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/1/2007

Sundown Fire Dept., Station 23

Heat Index: 77°F
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 66°F

So Far Today
High: 72°F
Low: 70°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 23mph SSW

High: 74 °F
Low: 44 °F

Today High: 72 Cloudy. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning. Clearing in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 70s. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Tonight Low: 40 Mostly clear. Much colder. Lows around 40. Northwest winds around 10 mph in the evening becoming light and variable.

Who's up for pancakes and OJ?

pancakes.jpg
oj.jpg

Chief Eagles

Morning. Got Enterprise rental [they picked me up] and out the door to Hampton VA Bass Pro Shops. Back Sunday night. Snow??? We have an average of 7" per year. We are way below that per our weather expert last night on TV. Saw the History Channel's history on freight trains. Later

jefelectric

Good eveniing,

Tony, I see you are just like me, can't do a job without getting out every tool you own.:)

Got started on installing TMCC in my Lionel Bethlehem Steel Docksider.
Now I can run it and did test on operation, horn & smoke control. All works so far. Had to Dremel off some mounting studs for the old light board in the boiler shell and wire the new lighting setup.

Here is what it looks like so far.

47b7dd20b3127cce81b3653d038600000017100QYtmrhwzYsU

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dd20b3127cce81b3653d038600000017100QYtmrhwzYsU

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dd20b3127cce81b37ad9c2c500000017100QYtmrhwzYsU

47b7dd20b3127cce81b37ad9c2c500000017100QYtmrhwzYsU

The tie wrap sticking up in the air is there to hold up the antenna temporarily for testing.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dd20b3127cce81b3653d038600000017100QYtmrhwzYsU

steamhead

Aha..!!! So it's a radio control system...!!! I've always wondered what that was all about. Now I know.
Just make sure those two little dudes sittin' on the PC board stay put or they might fry their little butts...!!!
Let us know how it turns out...!!

pennman

John, your about right I do have one heck of a tool fetish. but in all seriousnes Thats the only empty room I have to work and store things in right now.
I havent forgoton either just havent had timeto getto the mail for you yet.
Nice pics btw.

Yall have fun,
Tony

oldtanker

Morning all, have now plowed 5 times with a total snowfall of about 18" and another 4-6" expected today with blowing and drifting.

Have a great day all.

Rick

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Geeze Rick - that stinks! We're getting over an inch of rain here - worrying about flooding :( I think this is winter's last throw..... Spring will be here in a few weeks :D

pennman

Morning all,
Sorry to hear about all that snow...
We hada hellva a day here yesterday, high winds down pours and even a few twister/flatwinds no damage in my area but south of us got hit pretty hard.
Great morning outside,warm and sunny.
Yall have fun,
Tony

oldtanker

Well I hope everyone stays safe, warm and dry over the next few weeks, enough of this weather.....i wanna start a garden train!!!!

Rick

jefelectric

Good morning all,

Rick, No snow here, but we have been getting our share of rain. Not sure how much as I don't have a rain gauge outside, they freeze around here in winter.

No dampness in the basement as of yet.

The Susquehanna River is the spot being watched locally, as well as the feeder streams, as the ice can cause problems when it breaks up and causes ice dams.

Take care,

Gil Finn

What all that work Jeff when you could have TMCC?

Wind is is amazing, gusts to 50 mph for the last 24.

Lots of rain last night also.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Good evening everyone,
Today I went on a 6-hour trip to my grandparent's in Bristol TN! Better yet, my grandma says that a new model train shop is opening up nearby! My dad says that it could not be possible to see it this visit, but I just think that it's cool that Bristol has a nearby hobby shop opening near me! I've also been trying to look up if the CNW has any conection to Bristol TN but I'm coming up empty handed. Oh, well, at least I'm at my grandparents! Just so you know, I'm using their computer to type this right now!

CNWman:thumb:

jeffrey-wimberl

Last night I decided that it was time to put a decoder in the new AC4400. It runs so quiet on DC that it should just whisper on DCC right? WRONG!! I installed the decoder, placed it on the track and gave it power. I've heard electric can openers that are quieter. I worked on it for a couple of hours to see if I could get it to run quiet, but to no avail. At about 10:00 pm I removed the decoder and rewired the unit for regular DC. I was thinking that maybe it's the decoder that's causing the noise, so I installed it in my Proto 2000 PA1. Expecting to hear a high speed can opener I applied the power and to my surprise the PA eased forward and trundled down the main line with nary a sound. Seems to me that the quiet motors of the RTR Athearn units aren't all they're cracked up to be. I know I won't be buying another one real soon. It's funny. I put a decoder in a cheap BB and it runs without a sound. I put one in an expensive RTR and the neighbors can hear it. Go figure.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/3/2007

Sundown Fire Dept., Station 23

Wind Chill: 34°F
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 32°F

So Far Today
High
: 51°F
Low: 38°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 6mph NE

High: 64 °F
Low: 30 °F

Today High: 65 Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 60s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 30 Partly cloudy. Lows around 30. North winds around 10 mph.
Biscuits and gravy today.

biscuitsgravy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.