Nautilus - Disney Version

Chuffy70

Right here we go - the final wave!

There were no tabs here on the mid-section, nor any indication to put any in, so I left them as they were.

n1.JPG
n2.JPG

Putting the large windows onto the hull was actually aided by having those mid-sections floppy, as it helped getting those widows to sit onto the hull. Not brilliantly done, but they fitted quite snuggly between the side rakes.
n3.JPG
n4.JPG

Perhaps the easiest part of the build was adding the rudder between the rear fin.
n5.JPG

One of the ugliest parts of the build was getting the Port-side front of the wheel house to sit correctly, possibly since I had adapted the kit it was my fault, but the Starboard side went on fine - The front rake too needed superglue in the end to help it sit.
n6.JPG

Liberal coating of the 'Warlock Bronze' paint helped hide the ugliness. Coincidently it doesn't look too far-off one of the real props used in the film
n7.JPG

Anchors attached - easy-peasy.
n8.JPG

...and the final addition was the Spearhead, many a ship sent to the bottom after meeting Mr Pointy!
n9.JPG

"thar she blows!" The finished boat - the whole thing had all the visible edging and open joints painted, took a day to do, but it really transformed an ugly duckling into a 'passable' Swan
n10.JPG

In summary this was a lot harder than it looked - the instructions and numbering were abysmally confusing to start with and my adaptions in removing and repositioning the tabs made for a better looking model, but perhaps hindered fit along the way.

She looks like the Harper Goff designed submarine from the Disney movie, but really lacks a certain depth.

I have acquired a more detailed model and will attempt that sometime next year, to which it just leaves me to say " a big thank you" to all of your wonderful support and lovely comments along the way during this build.

FURTHER PICTURES OF THE FINISHED SUB WILL GO INTO THE GALLERY.

"what to do next?"

Chuffy70

Yes whats your next project?
Well I've got plenty to choose from! Three Drones need to be built for a friend in the States, but for the Forum - I have a tiny Star Trek Wrath of Khan - Enterprise vs Reliant, its possibly that...although a 4ft LEP droid turned up and there's a little Twiki too...oh sooooo much to do!

Chuffy70

That deserves a place of honor. Nice work!
Thank you, if you squint, its not too bad... she will be on display at our local model group this week, ready for the 'plastic kit snobs' to yawn at, then it will sit on the window sill for awhile, eventually becoming a study model for a 'better' Nautilus model, after that she'll have to be recycled or given away :(

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Your swan turned out BEAUTIFULLY! You have mastered the rough sea of papercrafting, she passed through all troubled waters and arrived in a safe harbour. Thank you for this build log!:)

Good choice! :D

Buuuuuut - maybe I can convince you to make something else? If you remember, I am preparing four Xmas presents. You know what #1 and #2 are, but #3 is still a mystery..! ;) Maybe this mystery will be resolved on December 24th..! ;) Just sayin'..! ;)

Chuffy70

Your swan turned out BEAUTIFULLY! You have mastered the rough sea of papercrafting, she passed through all troubled waters and arrived in a safe harbour. Thank you for this build log!:)

Good choice! :D

Buuuuuut - maybe I can convince you to make something else? If you remember, I am preparing four Xmas presents. You know what #1 and #2 are, but #3 is still a mystery..! ;) Maybe this mystery will be resolved on December 24th..! ;) Just sayin'..! ;)
Well done on a sea of puns there... mystery on future builds, surrounded by riddles ??? - we shall have to see indeed 'winky-wink!' ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well done on a sea of puns there... mystery on future builds, surrounded by riddles ??? - we shall have to see indeed 'winky-wink!' ;)
It will be something you may like - basically the real thing might be essential for the upcoming festivities, too ... well, stay tuned for the upcoming thread..! ;)