M4A4 Sherman VC Firefly, Halinski 1:25

snake7

Assembled radio set. This one is called British Wireless Set Number 19 or WS19.
They've been installed in commonwealth and lend lease Shermans and were different from US versions.

BjLWNx.jpg

dXbGfp.jpg

pnDlnb.jpg

First off all boxes.
I adapted a method with square boxes - draw along fold line very lightly with knife. It gives good 90 angle fold and white edges painted later.

d9Lm8u.jpg

Because of tiny parts i decided to cut/paint/glue each part separately.
Radio set is ready.

U5XJwD.jpg

YDw9vA.jpg

MOt9nf.jpg

And the real thing :)

VC-WirelessBustle-2.jpg

snake7

Thanks Micha
Continued with armored radio box.
A lot of lamination.

KGmGsI.jpg

HqN7Tb.jpg

xWx3bf.jpg

Box is ready and attached to turret

ACzggn.jpg

YQbxyC.jpg

1e3khp.jpg

N7z9f4.jpg

BV2o4V.jpg

wkMbWh.jpg

Fun fact: in early versions of Sherman, radio set was located inside the turret. When Sherman was modified with bigger 17 pdr anti tack gun, it was so big that breach block inside interfered with radio set. So the rear of the turret had a rectangular hole cut into it and radio was put into armored box as an extension.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Ohh the way they had to shoehorn things into tanks back then. Great work as always.

lyter1958

Esteemed Member
Fantastic work. i have this in my "to build" pile and seeing on how you have built yours has given me lots of how to's when and if i start mine..

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
It's amazing that they would put a tube radio in the turret!! I have a collection old vintage tube amplifiers, (these suckers are quite valuable, and sound incredible), it's amazing that the sockets could take the pounding. The U.S.Army radios were built quite robust back then, but geez, I thought they would be mounted on something that would absorb the vibration. Looks fantastic though. :)

The insides of these were pretty much the same, some didn't have the side battery pack you model shows. You can see how each tube is covered with a metal cover, the sockets probably float each and that takes all the shock. Modern radios have to be mounted quite differently, they are more delicate. The dial with the flat plates is a variable capacitor, that's how you would try and find the signal. Lots of "know how" needed to use one of these properly :

Missing Battery of left hand side

MK19 inside.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Tube amps are awesome. Audio Tube amps have around a 1% THD (Total Harmonic Distortion), which, compared to modern electronics which are at around .001% seems ridiculous, but they have far less total "non harmonic distortion" than modern electronics, which is why quality tube amps just sound better than transistor audio systems. New algorithms had to be designed to measure the non harmonic distortion, thus the return of Tube Amplifiers to the audio scene, and at exorbitant Audiophile prices.

Just before transistors came into being, a new type of tube had been developed, they were around 1" tall and a half in wide. They were rendered obsolete by transistors. These tubes would have been immune to electro-magnetic pulse (EMP) that would leave modern devices dead. However, you would have to wear a pacemaker for your heart on your back in a back pack. ;)

snake7

Tube amps are awesome. Audio Tube amps have around a 1% THD (Total Harmonic Distortion), which, compared to modern electronics which are at around .001% seems ridiculous, but they have far less total "non harmonic distortion" than modern electronics, which is why quality tube amps just sound better than transistor audio systems. New algorithms had to be designed to measure the non harmonic distortion, thus the return of Tube Amplifiers to the audio scene, and at exorbitant Audiophile prices.

Just before transistors came into being, a new type of tube had been developed, they were around 1" tall and a half in wide. They were rendered obsolete by transistors. These tubes would have been immune to electro-magnetic pulse (EMP) that would leave modern devices dead. However, you would have to wear a pacemaker for your heart on your back in a back pack. ;)

Yeh, I know that tube amps are the best. My another hobby is music (drummer ) ;)

snake7

Next step was commanders hatch. A tough nut...
Curved ring consisted only of petals, that later need to be cut into, for hinge axes.
Managed to assemble it somehow.

PKMxYM.jpg

6Q1dT0.jpg

Pay attention to the order of four rings stripes. Two inner and two outer. Glued one on another with bottom base line.

MSpWcI.jpg

Ring was curved and glued before putting it on power frame.
After i did it, then only i cut out openings for hinge axes and finally removed
white stripe.

b0g1aH.jpg

bnAC0e.jpg

Interesting solution with machine gun holder. For stiffness it has rolled paper inside. Such a awesome consideration in design.

EH4OAQ.jpg

Then i assembled doors and visors, added hatch lock and head cushions and put all parts together.
Ring with doors is moveable inside the hatch.

wztT7t.jpg

d7EESo.jpg

NUmUIV.jpg

g2964B.jpg

snake7

Thank you all!

Next part is pistol port.
Interesting solution with handle.
It was manual handle and not a cylinder :) and locked in close or open position.
Sorry, I accidently erased picture with parts.

I want to point some mistake here - parts 334a and 334b must be glued on
1 mm cardboard (**) and not as marked on 0.5 mm (*).
I noticed it only when i tried to put skin on those.
Luckily, it was easy to correct the error.
Handle was glued only after i glued port door.

Uvqxof.jpg

rj8vPa.jpg

2lESZd.jpg

BDuSQz.jpg

nJbeOa.jpg

s9BOHS.jpg

ThJSHt.jpg

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I always thought that little door was for throwing the spent cases out of... but yea, pistol port makes sense too.