M4A4 Sherman VC Firefly, Halinski 1:25

snake7

Dec 13, 2004
Israel
I always thought that little door was for throwing the spent cases out of... but yea, pistol port makes sense too.
Yeh, me too :)
In a mater of fact they find it a weak spot and deleted it in later production, but returned by demand., for a reverse use of what you thought :)
Here is a citate from Wikipedia:
"Being a ballistic weak spot, firing ports are often reinforced with additional armor, and in subsequent designs reduced in number (BFV), or deleted (Sherman and Tiger I [January 1944]) Other armor is improvised such as slat armor to stop shaped charges or chicken wire to stop grenades.
However due to strong tanker demand they are sometimes brought back as happened with the Sherman. This was in part due to its use during ammo resupply in the Sherman, eliminating the need for an additional crew member to pass ammo through the loader hatch, instead being able to simply pass the ammo from the ground through the firing port.

snake7

Dec 13, 2004
Israel
Two more errors that i forgot to mention:
Opening rod handle is offset and must be parallel to locking pin.
You can see the issue here

tBe4Nn.jpg

And real one as it should be here

MDltxC.jpg

In addition, part #335a must be white.

Those little mistakes, but funny that concentrated all in one part.

Next i assembled loader hatch door, door stoper and opening cylinder

mcY9MU.jpg

RJQDOA.jpg

Back to routine, no mistakes here :)
Pay attention, that in instructions detail S123 must be flexible cord, like fishing line. That what i found in stash and was happy it fit.

h0DFtA.jpg

YUwypE.jpg

BwjIlZ.jpg

Attached to the turret
Closed position

Dtu5Yx.jpg

i6o57N.jpg

y0BWef.jpg

Opened position. Of course cylinder is operational ;)

iJ74UY.jpg

28e1la.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I like the bomb thrower It's like, "Tank not enough for you, here's a bomb to top it off!". The parts and sections you have just built upon are soo incredible well done. Honestly, I've ever seen anything so well executed. :)

• Love
Reactions: snake7 and mijob

snake7

Dec 13, 2004
Israel
Thanks Zathros!

Radio set's control and junction boxes, binoculars case and big pouch (maybe for maps)

twxzfB.jpg

Wire diagram was strange. So i did a little research and wired it differently. I don't claim it is the correct wiring, but definitely better then in diagrams. For instance, 2 aerial antennas connected to radio set at the top and not from main plug at the bottom.
Here is an example. You can clearly see 2 plugs for aerial A and aerial B

48Pf1T.jpg

Parts assembled, attached and wired. 2 wires that go down the turret - later will be continued into turret basket.

tetQc2.jpg

LvLM4Q.jpg

YdWMCM.jpg

AqHrE9.jpg

7hKf0W.jpg

snake7

Dec 13, 2004
Israel
Thank you friends.

Finished outer turret details:
Gunners periscope with guard, ,metal vane sight and improved sight,
bomb thrower ring, loader hatch lock pin, three lifting eyes, 8 hooks for camouflage scrim (i suppose) and two bases for aerials 'A' and 'B'.

Rnrc75.jpg

upb0tX.jpg

Some wire details were left to paint on site, for more convenient approach

wrEC7c.jpg

2 aerials are fitted without glue, so i can take them out for transportation

bdUKaX.jpg

XN0Fmn.jpg

lqMhIp.jpg

PNBUlW.jpg

PDSdZ3.jpg

Fun fact: 'A' set aerial could be made from one to three 1219 mm sections of aerial rod, depending on range required or chance of damage. So this aerial could be much smaller on real photos.

Last edited:

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Dec 22, 2020
Spokane, WA
Thank you friends.

Finished outer turret details:
Gunners periscope with guard, ,metal vane sight and improved sight,
bomb thrower ring, loader hatch lock pin, three lifting eyes, 8 hooks for camouflage scrim (i suppose) and two bases for aerials 'A' and 'B'.

Rnrc75.jpg

upb0tX.jpg

Some wire details were left to paint on site, for more convenient approach

wrEC7c.jpg

2 aerials are fitted without glue, so i can take them out for transportation

bdUKaX.jpg

XN0Fmn.jpg

lqMhIp.jpg

PNBUlW.jpg

Fun fact: 'A' set aerial could be made from one to three 1219 mm sections of aerial rod, depending on range required or chance of damage. So this aerial could be much smaller on real photos.
EXCELLENT!

Reactions: snake7

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Truly Incredible. Those wire pieces are perfect. the aerials look good, but a thinner would be more to scale I think. Have you tried stretched sprue? You can get crazy thin but still stiff, segments using that method.