Wheeler Machinery Co.

joesho

Apr 29, 2006
surrey bc canada
heres a sketch ive done on ms paints,(very rough),they would have 2 lines of hanging lights from the ceiling going down the length of the building *the green dots = lights

Attachments

• building lighting.bmp
    6.6 KB · Views: 134

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Joesho, thank you. I might do some detailing of the interior of the building later on, but at the moment I am just trying to finish the roof. So you think, they didn’t have any "windows" in the roof, just those two lines of hanging lights?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Some of the old buildings had skylights, some did not. At least one that I know of in the downtown industrial section of LA has a parking lot on the roof. A lot of the old buildings downtown were made of brick.

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Russ, thank you for this information. So I could do it with or without a skylight, both could be right. I am thinking of adding skylights to the roof – I think this detail could make the model look more interesting. Did the skylines look like that:

w11.jpg

If they did, how big are they and how many would you place on a building like that? I hope you can help me.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
MilesWestern said:
Ok, Those are PERFECT. I would suggest a scale 6X12' maybe..what do others think?

That sounds about right, Miles. By the way, Kurt, you might want to check out the Southern California Railfans Forum. the pictures will mostly be modern shots, but many of the old buildings are still standing and in use, so you might see some pics that would work for you.

http://www.socalrailfan.com/forums/index.php?

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Miles, Russ, Thank you for your advice. :wave:

Galen, unfortunately, I cannot imagine what you mean by "sandwich looking skylight". :confused:

Oh, by the way: I am painting the building right now. I gave it a coat of white primer first, now I am painting it with acrylic paints.

w12.jpg

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Not SANDWICH, Sawtooth. Do a google image search for 'sawtooth roof' and check out some of the options. I really thought there'd be more images of this roof style, as it was a common industrial roof/skylight arrangement. I'm sure there are commercial models available with this type of roof. I'll flip through a Walther's catalog when I get a chance and see what I can find.

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Not SANDWICH, Sawtooth.
Galen, I think, I need new glasses :D . Now, sawtooth makes sense – I know which style of roof you mean. I’ll try to find some pics on google. Thank you :wave: .

Joesho, it does not matter, what you use, as long as it is fun. You are doing a nice job on your cardboard modeling :thumb: . BTW, I am far from beeing a master scratchbuilder. The first attempt to paint the building went totally wrong. The color looked awful after it had dried. I had to strip the paint. Tomorrow, the building gets another light coat of primer and then I’ll try it again. Didn’t have my best day today, glad it’s over :rolleyes: . Time to go to bed now.

Josh, thank you :wave: :wave: .