Wheeler Machinery Co.

joesho

heres a sketch ive done on ms paints,(very rough),they would have 2 lines of hanging lights from the ceiling going down the length of the building *the green dots = lights

Attachments

• building lighting.bmp
    6.6 KB · Views: 134

cnw1961

Joesho, thank you. I might do some detailing of the interior of the building later on, but at the moment I am just trying to finish the roof. So you think, they didn’t have any "windows" in the roof, just those two lines of hanging lights?

cnw1961 said:
Galen, when I was looking for LA pictures, I came across this website with vintage postcards from LA: http://www.yesterdayla.com/. It is great. But I should do a google search for "old LA postcards" – a good idea.:wave:

No, skip the search. I think that's the site I found back then...bookmarked at home, but not here at work (yet).

joesho

those are some very nice postcards,give you a feel of what life was like back then,i wish i lived back then :(

Russ Bellinis

Some of the old buildings had skylights, some did not. At least one that I know of in the downtown industrial section of LA has a parking lot on the roof. A lot of the old buildings downtown were made of brick.

cnw1961

Russ, thank you for this information. So I could do it with or without a skylight, both could be right. I am thinking of adding skylights to the roof – I think this detail could make the model look more interesting. Did the skylines look like that:

w11.jpg

If they did, how big are they and how many would you place on a building like that? I hope you can help me.

I was imagining more of the sawtooth looking skylight arrangement...hard to describe...perhaps I can find a picture (or somebody can). But I'm sure whatever you choose will be great!

cnw1961

Miles, Russ, Thank you for your advice. :wave:

Galen, unfortunately, I cannot imagine what you mean by "sandwich looking skylight". :confused:

Oh, by the way: I am painting the building right now. I gave it a coat of white primer first, now I am painting it with acrylic paints.

w12.jpg

Not SANDWICH, Sawtooth. Do a google image search for 'sawtooth roof' and check out some of the options. I really thought there'd be more images of this roof style, as it was a common industrial roof/skylight arrangement. I'm sure there are commercial models available with this type of roof. I'll flip through a Walther's catalog when I get a chance and see what I can find.

cnw1961

Not SANDWICH, Sawtooth.
Galen, I think, I need new glasses :D . Now, sawtooth makes sense – I know which style of roof you mean. I’ll try to find some pics on google. Thank you :wave: .

Joesho, it does not matter, what you use, as long as it is fun. You are doing a nice job on your cardboard modeling :thumb: . BTW, I am far from beeing a master scratchbuilder. The first attempt to paint the building went totally wrong. The color looked awful after it had dried. I had to strip the paint. Tomorrow, the building gets another light coat of primer and then I’ll try it again. Didn’t have my best day today, glad it’s over :rolleyes: . Time to go to bed now.

Josh, thank you :wave: :wave: .