Space Battleship Yamato

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Vortex_4200, Aug 8, 2011.

1. MTK

MTK Active Member

Nice. I'll have to check that out and see if it's worth reworking.....
  2. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

I grew up watching "STARBLAZERS" as a kid. I would love to get my hands on a good quality kit of this ship.
  3. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE

4. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

Well I see two small problems with that...
    1) It's out of stock :cry:
    2) If it were in stock I need a job funny thing is you would like to order it but they insist that you give them money, kinda ruins it for me... :mrgreen:
  5. blaar

blaar Member

6. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I imported that Mesh into Rhino,other than seeing it, you would literally have to trace every single line to make something out of it. AArrgh! If I was going to go through all that trouble, I'd just make that model. The surfaces are ridiculously formed. I see a major problem with the way sketchup forms it's models. I also know why so many people in CAD stay away from them.
  7. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE

That's what I did for the Earthsea Dragon.
  8. blaar

blaar Member

9. Zathros

Zathros Guest

That's very interesting. The problem is, are those files released to the general public or not?
  10. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

I think the file he's talking about that he downloaded is the sketchup file, which he converted. as far as the programs, no clue :)
  11. MTK

MTK Active Member

I'll see what I can do about getting that together.:thumb:
  12. MTK

MTK Active Member

It says it's out of stock. I've wanted to build that model since I first saw it.
  13. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

I own the entire series, (SBY and Starblazers) AND have all the movies, plus a few figurines, and minitures. I would love to have a large scale papercraft :)

**hint, hint**
  14. MTK

MTK Active Member

Send me a PM with the specs and I'll do er.:thumb:
  15. MTK

MTK Active Member

OK, here's the deal. I've got this mostly worked out. I've made all of the conversions, from .skp, to .kmz, to dae, to .3ds to .obj, tried to import into .mqo and this model crashed and, or locked up Meta 5X, so I imported it into Pep as a .3ds. Therefore, there is no material data for texturing available. It's a very large and complicated model and needs to be addressed in Meta. Since I do not have anything but the free version of Met, I'm going to have to hand this off to someone else who might want to play with it. Below are some screens of the various shots of this in different programs. Let me know how you want to proceed and I'll upload all of the data to my 4shared account as a development kit, with the caveat that someone shares their work here and doesn't snag the file and horde it for themselves. I would continue to work on this, but I'm still a bit goofey from surgery and have several priorities that take precedence. Hope I've been of some help here, but I've done all I can do at the moment.

Attached Files:

16. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

I think Pep would work. as far as skins go, Im working on getting the textures needed for completion. gimmie about a week, and i'll have all the material you'll need to skin the awesome mother of a Ship. :D im so looking forward to FINALLY putting together this mamma jammer!
  17. Zathros

Zathros Guest

The problem I am having with every model I see from SketchUp is the same. If I can import it, I have to duplicate every single line, then create a surface, or there is nowhere to place a texture. I think Models made completely in SketchUp, )and some of them are incredible) must be using the points as a reference and a separate part made for each side of the texture. Maybe the reference points are the plane for the textures also, in any case, I have to use the Duplicate Edge" command to each line, the try and make a surface that will unfold. It is really like working off of a blueprint and making the model from scratch, albeit, a 3D blueprint.
  18. MTK

MTK Active Member

Do you want me to get all of the files ready for you to work with? Which types do you need? I can export to .stl and .dxf as well.
  19. MTK

MTK Active Member

I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the proprietary nature of the collada file. You probably need 3ds max to work these files correctly. I was lucky to get it this far, after crashing several programs, starting over and clearing out garbages files, rebooting the computer and disconnecting the net. Those pictures above are showing about two hours worth of work and research. I did however get it to a point where someone can work with it.
  20. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

I don't have Pep designer yet, just Pep Viewer, but Ill have the designer here in a few weeks. by then I should have all the textures Ill need to skin it.

call me a nerd, but I know this ship in and out. I was Passionate about the show growing up, and i DO mean passionate.

safe to say it was my Favorite ;)