Space Battleship Yamato

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Vortex_4200, Aug 8, 2011.

1. MTK

MTK Active Member

2. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Excited!

You guys are getting me all excited. I never saw the show when it was on, and I've tried watching some of the (dubbed) episodes, but it's so bad I can't stand it. However, the ship is just the absolute coolest spaceship ever and is on my must have list. Just seeing this thread and talking about it makes me want to jump on it.

Rick, please make this kit so I don't have to.:twisted:

Steve
  3. MTK

MTK Active Member

I'm in just about the same frame of mind as you are SJ. Never saw the show, but liked the ship from the first time, probably a Navy thing with me.
  4. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

At the time the show came to the states, I was really big into the old battleships, and that's what snagged me into the show. Its been my Favorite ever since :)

btw, got the file, Let me see what I can come up with. Thanks :)
  5. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

Im trying Brother, Im trying. Im just as excited as you are :)
  6. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

So I figured out why importing this model means having to trace every single line.

Its because the original author had set the entire thing as one object in Sketchup, instead of leaving it as it was originally. THAT's why you have to reproduce every line instead of using the exsisting mesh. the Mesh was taken out

I wonder if we could somehow get ahold of the designer, and ask him for a copy of the original file if he would share?
  7. MTK

MTK Active Member

There is a work around in Pep and LW. Let me see if a friend can help with this..... I'll let you know.
  8. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

I wait patiently for your response :)
  9. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

What programs(s) are you working on it with? Most 3D programs allow you to split an object into multiple objects. I do it all the time with Meta. Not sure about how to do it in Sketchup, but I know it supports grouping geometries into a larger unit.

Steve
  10. MTK

MTK Active Member

Actually, I meant to say Meta and LW.... I looked at this last night and sized it to 36" and started pulling the main hull apart. I'm sure that I can unfold the main hull and have it ready to build, while we are working out the rest. I'm going to import the whole thing into another program today and see what I can do with it. In the mean time, we can be building the hull.... Additionally, there's always the option of making corrections on the fly and svaing the templates. Below are a couple of photos that explain what I mean..... As the ship is built from the keel up, each additional part can be modified to match the previous part and so on. Further, if there are more than one of the same object, you only need to duplicate that printed part wo having to go into any program and conform each part to fit.

There's more than one way to skin a Starship!:cool:

"If it takes to much effort to think out of the box, then you're probably still stuck in it."

Attached Files:

11. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE

Quick suggestion on internal formers:

My experience is to scale them down to 98% that way the model fits together better.
  12. MTK

MTK Active Member

What's the question? If that works for you then go for it. Personally, I rarely use them unless neccesary and I usually make them on the fly.
  13. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE

If you're talking a 3 foot long paper model, it will need formers. Trust me.
  14. MTK

MTK Active Member

I was thinking about laminating strips and, or using the expanding foam and fiberglass method on mine.:thumb:
  15. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

I want mine out of straight Cardstock, ink, and glue. call me a traditionalist or whatever, but That's how I want it :)
  16. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

Guitly as charged on that one myself, and I have to say I am suprised how this thread has taken off, I just wish I had the know how like you other guys. :thumb:
  17. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

Is it a bad thing that im experimenting with Yamato, and my DSEV design, while drinking Jack? :confused:
  18. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

Depends on what the Yamato model looks like when you are finished sign1
  19. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

well, honestly ive only been fiddling with the dsev, and its only been on the computer. Ill show a pic in a bit of what Im doing, cause I have no clue where this is heading :)
  20. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

What the Hell did I do?

honestly, i don't remember making these changes. its kinda cool, but i dunno

dsev1.jpg dsev2.jpg

dsev3.jpg dsev4.jpg