HMS Norfolk Type 23 frigate 1/200

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Sonar

Well spotted Jim, "squinty" strikes again. Finally made the fairing and attached after a lot of fiddling the bow idesigned goes to too much of a point for easy fixing so fast setting glue would be a bit difficult so it was a case of setting the front flare then working the rest of the fairing into place using the sonar piece to mould the joint. Needs a bit of glue and a sanding then a couple of coats of acrylic should fix it well enough. Hopefully I now have design for the propellors which should work.

@Elb

The platforms actually should droop it's the line of switch boxes that is the trouble they are all over the place and that is the view I wanted to get right looking down the deck to the bow. At the moment I am not into rebuilding anything. I have a block on perfection.

I have to go through all the photographs now to find where the aerials are.

regards

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Sonar

Well spotted Jim, "squinty" strikes again. Finally made the fairing and attached after a lot of fiddling the bow idesigned goes to too much of a point for easy fixing so fast setting glue would be a bit difficult so it was a case of setting the front flare then working the rest of the fairing into place using the sonar piece to mould the joint. Needs a bit of glue and a sanding then a couple of coats of acrylic should fix it well enough. Hopefully I now have design for the propellors which should work.

@Elb

The platforms actually should droop it's the line of switch boxes that is the trouble they are all over the place and that is the view I wanted to get right looking down the deck to the bow. At the moment I am not into rebuilding anything. I have a block on perfection.

I have to go through all the photographs now to find where the aerials are.

regards

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
2 dahlias on red stalks

As the title says looks more like two dahlias on red stalks than propellors needs rudders, antiroll plates and the aft funnel replacing then the card is DONE !!!!!!!!

These are probably on backwards anyway

I don't know what I am being happy about it means cutting formers on something new Ugh !!!!

Any suggestions on paint colour or a rgb colour suggestion.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
2 dahlias on red stalks

As the title says looks more like two dahlias on red stalks than propellors needs rudders, antiroll plates and the aft funnel replacing then the card is DONE !!!!!!!!

These are probably on backwards anyway

I don't know what I am being happy about it means cutting formers on something new Ugh !!!!

Any suggestions on paint colour or a rgb colour suggestion.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Quick work, mate! And very nicely done...we have all seen the tremendous amount of work, time and effort this build has taken, and I'm honored you shared it with us.

I'm really not sure, but you might be right about the props being backwards; I am only guessing, but I would think the starboard prop would be a right-handed screw, and the port one left-handed...no troubles, just reverse them!:grin: Maybe someone who really knows can tell us?

Just about done? I'm gonna miss seeing this build, but I trust you will have another project up and running soon enough, what?

Hopefully you will favor us with a few more photos when you get the time?

Cheers!
Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Quick work, mate! And very nicely done...we have all seen the tremendous amount of work, time and effort this build has taken, and I'm honored you shared it with us.

I'm really not sure, but you might be right about the props being backwards; I am only guessing, but I would think the starboard prop would be a right-handed screw, and the port one left-handed...no troubles, just reverse them!:grin: Maybe someone who really knows can tell us?

Just about done? I'm gonna miss seeing this build, but I trust you will have another project up and running soon enough, what?

Hopefully you will favor us with a few more photos when you get the time?

Cheers!
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Ynderwater gear

Added the stabilisers and rudders as you say nearing completeion I think I keep looking for more bits to do just to have an excuse not to finish it. Anyway here are a few more pics as you asked Jim.

You can't see it in the pics but the stand is actually collapsing under the wait more girders I think

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Thank you very much, bazzer; she's outstanding!:)

I'd say you did a brilliant job with this design AND build. Really superb photos show off all your detailed work, my friend. I'm very glad you posted them.

The sonar dome came out great, and really complements the overall profile appearance of the model.

Do fix that stand, mate, don't want anything to happen to this excellent build.

Is she going to be available somewhere for the rest of us to try? I hope you'll keep us posted.

Cheers!
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Kryten turret

Hope I spelt it right this time, any expert around who can say if this looks about the right shape for this turret. I could not find a diagram of it anywhere although I had some pretty good photographs to look at. I assumed it would be housing a similar weapon to the original pattern turret. This is a retrofit to the class I think.

@Jim

Thanks mate I am not sure what to do with her when she is finished.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
ships boats

Redid the ships high speed boats they more or less look the same now. Hopefully I have built enough ships railings to finish the job. I will have to reset the rails on this section though.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Ships railings

Hi All

Must be getting near the end surely had to ditch some of the rails, they did not look so good painted. Only need about 4 strips to finish the rails, then the heli pad nettings and the rigging and the aft mast gantry.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Wow Barry. That's really outstanding. It must be a real sense of satisfaction to take a project like this from drawing board to completion.

I can't wait to see your next project take shape.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Truly outstanding, bazzer!:grin:

I am a bit sad this project is coming close to it's end, it has been such an enjoyable venture. As always, it's been an honor to be able to watch your journey as you designed and then built another beautiful creation. There is always something new learned in the process, and I thank you for sharing your thoughts, photographs and experiences with all of us, they are very much appreciated, I assure you.

I am looking forward, albeit with a bit of selfish anticipation, to your next project.

Cheers!
Jim

P

paulhbell

WOW.Nice build. I have a 1/96 scale type 22 ' Hms cornwall', sirmar glassfibre hull and fitting's kit. I have thought about having a go at rescaling this and building it in card. What scale is the type 23. They would look good together. Do you plan on releasing the files for this build.
Sorry just seen the scale. 1/200.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Helicopter safety nets

More boring pics but without them the ship looks oddly naked at the aft end. They are a bit of a compromise the angled struts should be about 3mm down from the top but I will settle for these. I had to have a couple of practice runs to work out how to wind the wires on. With some netting laid over them they should look OK. A last comment cut off the trimmings with a stanley knife it's a lot easier than side cutters or scissors and cut against a hard base stops it bending.

I have never been sure if the nets are for the landing crew or the chopper anybody know the answer ?

regards

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Cool, bazzer!:)

Quite a mini project, making the helicopter netting, but they look like they are coming along quite nicely, mate.

I don't know the definitive answer to your question, but I would wager a guess the netting can't hold a copter, but given the way they are deployed I would think they are essentially for crew members who might lose their footing along the outer edges of the helipad. Just a out and out guess, mind you.:grin:

Cheers!
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Helipad netting

The only thing I have done anywhere near right for 2 weeks everything else got tossed in the trash.

The wires have a strip of metallic ribbon coating stuck on first using pva, cut to size when dry. Looks ok from a distance, it could probably do with a thin wash of acrylic to take the shine off.

Can't cut a straight line to save my life at the moment so sat on the pc and redrew Spruance it least it looks like it might fit this time and had a little (large) dream come back in 3 years.

The new pepakura did quite a good job on the Empire boat engines so all in all not too bad on the night.

P

paulhbell

Is that a tarawa class assault ship. Now that would be a good model. It would take half the amazon rain forest to make the paper/card to build it. Just kidding. Nice idea.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Aft mast

I promised myself I would try and finish Norfolk by the New Year I started with the bits I least like so she now has a full aft mast. Somedays I hate digital cameras, now I think (know) the railing right in front of the picture is c**p so that is now 3 pieces of rail to do as well as some diminutive searchlights and telescopes and a ridiculous fan aeial.