HMS Norfolk Type 23 frigate 1/200

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Awesome, bazzer, just awesome!:grin:

Okay, so the torpedos are simple tubes right now, but I'm sure you just wanted to get an idea of scale and location on the helo at this point...I'm sure more will come, but you're really moving along on this one at a great pace.

Dare I say, you are nearing the home stretch on this design?

Looking forward to your next update, mate!

Cheers!
Jim

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Barry,

You are moving a light-speed on this one... The helo turned out very well for it's small size... Here's a good photo of one that may help you out with the colors... It looks to be something like "sky gray" or some shade similar...

navylynxb.jpg

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Westland Lynx coloured

Hi All

Thanks to Elb's pic I now know where the rest of the markings go.

@John

Just can't find a motor to fit yet but I am sure someone must have one ! You were right about the colour I think my choice is too light.

@Jim

I think you are right on the cardboard bits, apart from the anchors and hawse hole on the starboard side and the radar platform on top of the main mast everything else I think will be wire unless I can find a way to do it in cardboard. Oh dear I forgot all about the switch boxes and the fire hoses

Anyway this is the second stab at the Lynx I've got the lower window in the wrong place of course and I think it really requires a keel and formers to make it an easier build.

Sitting on a standard cdrom disc.

The wheel struts are a bit of a compromise any thinner and the thing splats to the floor they are made from soft 1.5mm cardboard doused in cheap superglue and they still need a lick of paint.

regards

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
My comment has been censored by me because there are some younglings around. But it was something along the lines of "blessed dung!":shock:

Barry you are starting to rival TEXMAN on your teenie weenie chopper.:yep:

john

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Sonar bulge

The helicopter was a walk in the park compared to this bit designing it to look pretty is one thing, unfolding it is quite another problem. I have produced some beautiful shapes for my grand daughter to colour but I am still trying to build it maybe tomorrow. I think it will be fill it with something sand it and paint it, it's a bit of a compromise anyway.

sonar shafts and rudders

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Other side of the hull

Finally got round to fixing the starboard side of the hull it fits pretty well still have not sorted the sonar but then the hawse hole has taken ages to get a satisfctory fit. As usual I've made work for myself I should have fitted the rails in the stern cut outs.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
3d effecta funnel area

Hi All

Adding the vents and covers,watertight doors (2 layer) and switch boxes pity they do not show up all that well. At least I am only going to have to remove the ladder drawings in the upgraded model from the current flatpanels.

@elb

I like the plastic rail supplied from GPM Christoph sent me a sample looks a bit flat close up, he is currently using laser cut card rails (see ROMA). To me all such fittings are a tad on the expensive side but they sure save a lot of solder. I guess thats freudian for saying it probably will be soldered fuse wire again. The other thing I have trouble with is making payments to East European sites I will have to check and see if Joeseph does some his site seems straight forward to use.

regards

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Coming right along Barry. I know this can be the most tedious time when working on the model. The fine details... But this is when the satisfaction of seeing your project so near to done, that it helps one to get through the long hours of fine detailing...

Thanks for the rail tip. I've seen those rails I think on some of the suppliers websites here in the states... hobby factory, paper model store, etc...

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Foremast radar gantry

Hi All

Redrew the top of the foremast, to be right it needs struts from the outer corners of the platform to the top of the mast might try it one night.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Railings

It's getting round to railings time again I've tried soldering, plastic, glue soaked cotton and looked at paper. I've gone back to soldering. Unfortunately I am the world's worst solderer everyting falls apart.

I stole as many wooden spatulas from "green" coffee shops as I could to use as formers and then it's the old way of winding 0.20 kg (29swg) tinned copper wire (fuse wire) around the wood over a paper pattern (thanks to Thomas Pleiner for the spacing). This time I took a large pair of square nosed pliers and nipped the whole lot in place.

Coat the wires with a generous amount of flux then run the soldering iron with a small blob of solder up and down the wires.

Blow on it then carefully snip off the excess.

I hope this answers your question Elb it has the huge advantage of being able to manufacture ladder rails at the rright angle etc and it costs next to nothing.

No they do not look as good as photoetch but that looks too flat to me.

Tool kit

Hastily painted should be grey but it does not show up with my camera.

regards

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Barry, you're right about the rails. At that scale anything etched looks way too flat. I've never built anything larger than 1/300 and that's stetching it for etched rails...

When I build on this scale I'm going to try small twine with layers of superglue built up in a jig... It's going to have to be a larger string than thread to be the right size though.... This will either be totally frustrating like your soldering adventures or it will work like a charm. :twisted:

Don't worry Barry, I think your rails look just fine. We all do things to our own satisfaction. Your own pleasure is what's most important.

Keep the updates rolling.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Main missile tubes

Hi All

Slow progress these are the final launch tubes and yet another build of the automatic gun turret needs a door into the back still. The upper bridge has been redesigned but still needs building.

Must be some fireworks show on the bridge when they light one of these up.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Mast head radar arrays

Radar installation on top of fore tower the horns are quite small to make.

Finally has a complete radar set aft with taller bandstand

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Added some of the wire bits to the mast better than my usual rubbish. I've got a better design for the radomes to try out next. The lattice bits were built on a cardboard former it just managed to last for 4 lattice works. Produced the plan by pulling up the edges in metsequoia as though it was going to have cardnboard rails. I laid out the bottom set of rails wrapped all the uprights and footrests, soldered them then cut off the footers on the pattern then added the top rails worked quite well. I only have the liferafts to try out after this. Oh yes and that damn sonar which eludes me at the moment.

lattice

General view.

GT5500

Apr 23, 2006
Kent, England
Well done Barry I can't believe you are designing this! you're doing an amazing job of it! Only one niggle though your file hosting site is a nightmare, its pop up central on there!