HMS Norfolk Type 23 frigate 1/200

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Prop shafts

Hi All

Gone back to something I understand for a bit, hated sticking a hole in the hull but they look in the right place more or less. Pity I can't even do a decent roll anymore but some paint and a fairing at the front ends should make it passable. Only got 10 more ladders to do and then about another 2' 6" of railngs at least doing a quick pull on the deck edges in metaseq gives a pattern for the rails.

I've almost managed to get the parts arranged on sheets but have still got to number everything.

PIC_0186.JPG

PIC_0188.JPG

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Rails

Started on the railings I went back in to metaseq and did a quick pull on the edges of the various decks as though they had canvas dodgers then used the knife tool to create the stanchions. In Pepakura along the hidden lines to be shown produces a good set of rail patterns. My hands shake too much for good soldering so I use a stick to wrap everything round and then nip it in place with pliers these have 3 stages first straight length solder up to the first bend downwards in the rails. unhitch the unsoldered end bend rails to suit, wrap wire around to hold it place to the next to the next bend........... Works quite well and what it loses in looks it gains in the stanchions being in the right place.

PIC_0192.JPG

The other side looks better at the moment

PIC_0193.JPG

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Looks very good Barry. Your scratch-building skills are far better than mine. I wouldn't take on the prop shafts in paper. I wimp-out and use styrene round. I've never been able to master good, tight shafts or rounds in paper. That explains my poor excuses for gun barrels.

Railings are coming along nicely. You've just about got this ship licked!

Keep up the good work!

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Just more bits of wire

Added the funnel deck rails I should have actually scaled them to .97 to allow for the overlapped wires just did not feel like doing them all again.

PIC_0201.JPG

@Elb

Thank you for the flowers

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
More bits

Hi All

More of the same I'm afraid finished off the gun, added the liferafts, crane, anchor winches and more rails.............

PIC_0212.JPG

PIC_0216.JPG

PIC_0215.JPG

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Brilliant work, as usual, bazzer!

No, don't limit yourself at all, mate, you've got a wonderful creative talent that you have so far applied wonderfully to both ships and aircraft.

I am so looking forward to seeing more as you continue with this build!

Cheers!
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Sonar bulge

Hi All

Finally managed to design the sonar it should be a little more onion shaped and still needs sanding and filling. Sadly although it's reasonably accurate it looks an ugly lump. I've been adding all sorts of bits to give a 3d effect but none of them show with my camera but then Christmas is coming..............

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
The sonar must have been difficult... The shape looks reasonable enough to me. Like you said, there is more there than we can see. Photography is half the battle.

I find I struggle sometimes with taking pictures of my ships too. Camera and good lighting make a big difference.

Good job Barry. You need to take some pictures of the Type 23 when you get a new camera... :wink:

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Wotcher, bazzer!:)

Actually, it seems to me you have solved the shape very well. I'm not a designer, but I have seen similar shapes on some published models in which the main body of the sonar is made by what I can only describe as a slightly flattened truncated cone, slightly larger in the fore part than at the after section, with a very similar if not identical forward dome like you have made. The after pointed section might be made much like a fairing piece that joins the after section of the "onion" into the bottom of the keel, again much like you have made it, but with an ascending cone (again, slightly flattened to match the main body shape) with the apex at the keel. I'm not sure if what I have inartfully described is even the actual shape of the sonar dome on this vessel, to tell the truth. So, I don't see a problem at all with your design, really, mate, it looks really good to me...I think you deserve a lot more credit that you give yourself in that it's perhaps one of the more complex (if not THE most complex) shapes for this ship to work out into a paper pattern.

Keep at it mate, she is coming along most brilliantly!

Cheers!
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Almost there

Hi All

A trip back to sanity most of the deck rope handling gear is and the odd boxes on the bridge and the mid deckhouse just a few fire reels and the underwater gear to be glued on got to make the stand better and taller to clear the sonar other than that it's just a lot of soldering of rails and aerials.

shows some 3d effects

@Jim

A belated thanks for the kind words on the sonar I decided a collar to hold the joint to the keel would add some strength and the necessary flare to the bulge. Loved the description mate

regards

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Almost there

Hi All

A trip back to sanity most of the deck rope handling gear is and the odd boxes on the bridge and the mid deckhouse just a few fire reels and the underwater gear to be glued on got to make the stand better and taller to clear the sonar other than that it's just a lot of soldering of rails and aerials.

shows some 3d effects

@Jim

A belated thanks for the kind words on the sonar I decided a collar to hold the joint to the keel would add some strength and the necessary flare to the bulge. Loved the description mate

regards

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
more

Like I said in the Boeing thread shows my eyesight ain't what it used to be nor the fingers. Anyway it shows what I was trying to do. Have to spend a fair bit of time regluing the rails and learn how to use this camera properly

it all looked straight when I did it honest

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
more

Like I said in the Boeing thread shows my eyesight ain't what it used to be nor the fingers. Anyway it shows what I was trying to do. Have to spend a fair bit of time regluing the rails and learn how to use this camera properly

it all looked straight when I did it honest

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
I know what you're saying Barry. I repeatedly look at my platforms, masts and handrails for straightness and plumbness... Those things seem to move around over night...:-D

Looks great. Your fine details are what's really making this model an excellent build...

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
I know what you're saying Barry. I repeatedly look at my platforms, masts and handrails for straightness and plumbness... Those things seem to move around over night...:-D

Looks great. Your fine details are what's really making this model an excellent build...

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Say what you might, mate, the railings look good to me!

And do I see the sonar laying on the table in the first picture?

As always, a treat to see this beautiful ship come together under you skilled hand, mate.

More when you can, please.

Cheers!
Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Say what you might, mate, the railings look good to me!

And do I see the sonar laying on the table in the first picture?

As always, a treat to see this beautiful ship come together under you skilled hand, mate.

More when you can, please.

Cheers!
Jim