HMS Norfolk Type 23 frigate 1/200

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hi All

Butterfly time again, I've wanted to build one of these for ages basically they are such elegant ships in spite of all the top hamper.

Attachments

• norfolkmet2.jpg
    norfolkmet2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,758
  • norfolkmet3.jpg
    norfolkmet3.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 937
  • norfolkmet1.jpg
    norfolkmet1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 994

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
.lwo

Plasticbosai

Thanks for the heads up nice mesh unfortunately the 3 views are locked so I can't reduce the polygons.

regards

Nov 28, 2005
Fareham UK
I have a way of removing some of the detail e.g. railings, arials, the helicopter, ships name etc and break it down into components if you wish. As fresh .mqo files you could reduce the polygons from there.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Norfolk .lqo

Ni Bonsai

Thanks it will be great as a reference but it is way over the top for a cardmodel (well the the way I design themanyway). I would not mind a close look at the way he designed the chopper though.

regards

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
Hi Plastic Bonsai of PO16

I've had some success chopping up this model and extracting info with "conventional weapons" and it's not too bad as meshes for pretty pictures go. :grin: Not perfect but vastly more accurate than most.
Would be interested in seeing details if you do let UMC2 loose on it.

Cheers
Maurice
(once of SO23 (and other parts))

Nov 28, 2005
Fareham UK
OK

I have starting chopping this model up as I have several uses for it breaking it down into hull, lynx, bridge etc. I've cut out the names and pennants as I intend to replace them with bitmaps. Unfortunately the mqo conversion has mixed up the colours bit I will be re-painting it anyway. I'll send you the Lynx model as is Barry. Would you like the upper works simplified? I have one use which requires some interiors -anyone have pics of the bridge interior or typical modern RN interiors or is "Making Waves" out on DVD?

Hello Maurice. I'm born and bred HU18 myself though I've been here for 6 years and still don't know anyone. When I've finished chopping the model would you like a copy?

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
HMS Norfolk bridge sections

Hi All

Added the main blocks of the bridge to the design, changed tactics a little each piece is tested individually in Pepakura to ensure it will unfold it helps me a lot.

Trying to use someone elses drawing is confusing, as I use Metsequoia to help me see how I will assemble the various bits.They are helpful in seeing someone elses visualisations

If anyone is having difficulty in starting with metseq I will try and set down the crude methods I have used so far.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Wotcher, bazzer!:)

Very interesting method of checking the fit of parts, explains a bit how you develop your awesome designs, mate.

She's looking superb! I am just amazed at how you pull these model designs together. Yes, do explain how you do it! I, for one, would love your explanation and tips on using Metsequoia; God knows I need all the help I can get working with computer programs.:wink:

Cheers

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Norfolk main elements

Hi All

Not a pretty picture but these are the main card elements for Norfolk the rest of the design will be a tricky mix I think, not too sure about the gun turret.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
cranes and aft baffles

Hi All

Good to tell who is retired with time to play.

Added the ground clutter baffles and modified the hanger shape plus the life raft decks. Then the two boat cranes.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Main Gun

Drove myself round the twist with this one however Maurice's principle applies cut off the top and bottom and the world gets a bit better in unfolding land. I think I will have to do Kryten (?) gun as well sometime, much better fold angles on that one. This one is quite add looking although you do not have an enourmous crew in there it just bangs away all on it's own.

On second thoughts maybe it will br better as a petal form.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Awesome design on the gun, bazzer!

So, it unfolds a lot better, you say? Excellent!

The shape you have there is superb, a lot better than some of the designs I've seen used for this type of gun, which use straight sides that one has to emboss to impart a proper curve...the construction will probably be a lot easier if the piece uses a petal form which imparts the curved surfaces in the construction method...great job!

Cheers!
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
same old thing

Slowly getting there I think I am avoiding trying to cut or glue anything at the moment some more deck gear and the main missile battery is required still.

the radar arrays are a bit crude at the moment but it depends how big they are in reality when it comes to trying to build it.

carlmt

Sep 29, 2005
Hi Barry, Carl here

This is looking FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!

I have dowloaded the pictures you have posted and sent them to my dad. He is itching to start building a beta test. Just finishing off SMS Derfflinger at the mo with all the etch brass bits - for a review in Model Boats mag later this year.

With regard to the main gun - later Type 23's such as Monmouth have a faceted gun, much the same size at the rounded version on Norfolk. I think i included a few photos of this gun on the CD I sent. Is it possible to include this instead as being faceted it should be easier to assemble?

What do I know about designing!!!!! Let the experts do their job Carl!!!

Seriously though, I am very much looking forward to the release of this. Magnificent work Barry......

best regards
carl

Attachments

• gun1.jpg
    gun1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 175
  • gun2.jpg
    gun2.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 116

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Kryton gun

Hi carl

don't worry it can have both providing the rest of it works out (should do now).

I will have to provide a selection of pendant numbers and aft helicopter pads.

The pics and plans you lent me are absolutely first class makes it fun.

Maurice was kind enough once more to sort the rounded gun turret for me pepakura did not really like my design. It does actually prove to me, anyway, there is no real replacement for a "real straight" cad package and of course the abiity to use it.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Norfolk main armour

Hi All

This is going on a bit there always seems just another bit more to add and I have not even started on the detail yet. The ships boats took ages to get right and the missile launch tube metal work needs attention. Trouble with this hobby there is always some other distraction just as well otherwise I would probably end up locked in place over the keyboard unable to move altogether.

Main missile launchers, Bofors and ships boats added

NOBI pointed out to me the fast scaling method on formers click scale, set proportional and select 0.98 but remember you can only do one former at a time otherwise you close the spacings between as well.