Gundam GP03 Stamen

AznRiceBoi

Not to sound ungrateful or anything because you ARE doing a really good job, but I think your 3D model could benefit from a little simplification.

I'm sure you've seen June's models and if you've taken a look at some of his posts were he highlights individual parts of his Gundams you'll see that his templates aren't very complex at all. He finds a way to keep the template relatively simple while still making the entire model look amazing.

I'm only bringing this up because of the little sample you gave of your 3D model unfolded in Pepakura. Some of those pieces require way too much folding and have excessive amounts of tabs. I hope you understand what I'm trying to get at.

Again, don't get me wrong. I'm excited by the work you've been doing as I'm an avid Gundam fan too. I always love to see new Gundam models, especially the full sized ones. Heck, I couldn't do a small fraction of what you've already done. I just wanted to make a small contribution in making the final product that much better because I WILL be building this once it's done. ;)

S

Soaring

I agree! Sorry Skup, but that waist piece looked scarrryyy. Still, if you don't, It won't really matter, the model will still look GREAT! Can't Wait! *Pun*

So hmm, Actually, June's pieces seem more scarier than that waist section... If you take a look at Hi nu.......His arms upper area is too thin... I prefer Skups!

*Compromise* It's up to you Skup, you can choose if you wanna simpilize the pieces. However, since I've never modeled before, I believe altering the pieces would take a longer finish time, plus, that would mean altering every other piece I think. End of the line, just keep on going with what you're working on, You're already to far to start all over again ;)

Master-Bruce

Good input!!! Thanks fellas.

Unfortunately it is too late to change now as I'm too far along with unfolding. I'd hate having to remodel and unfold what I've already done so far.

I've not read June's blog as I never have any joy with translator programs. Iagree that someof his parts are simplified to what the MG kit looks like. He does it very well without spoiling the model or making too many compromises. My hat goes off to him. :)

Don't forget though that this will be a large model so any curved areas will be easier to build. A lot of the fold lines for these curved areas have been removed so that a more casual approach can be adopted fo assembling them. You simply cut and glue, shaping as you go along. You won't need to score each fold to make a curved part.

Soaring, that waist part is alot mor simple than it looks. Loads of tabs are a price you pay for using Pepakura. It's also a price for the level of detail I'm hoping to include in the model.

This is my first serious attempt at a Gundam after all. ;)

I'll take these commentas onboard for my next Gundam.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

Master-Bruce

Her's a new screen capture of the same area in Pep, after removing unwanted fol lines. Compare the 3D model legs, kind of like a before and after view.

WIP44.jpg

See how much cleaner it looks. For example the calf, is made up of a series of rings that when assembled give anice curved appearence WITHOUT any folding, just gentle shaping. That thruster on his shin is similar, only made up of strips. Again with no folding.

I hope this puts some of your concerns or fears to rest.

Lex

Dollmaker
I wonder how those strips would turn out, without some skills I would say those could get messy... (btw what size are they?)

Master-Bruce

That part takes up half a sheet of A4. So not too small at all. :)

WIP45.jpg

They are modelled just the same as a sphere really only sretched. Verybody encounters a sphere a some point don't they? Right now there are alot of small pointless tabs that need removing so don't jump on me over those. ;) This is still a WIP.

animechx

given the size of this kit... those little tabs wont be so little anymore when printed.
skupilkinson - hope you release this for free download
thanks in advance

Master-Bruce

LOL. Mine always are buddy, I'd rather anyone be able to get the chance to build them than only those who can afford them or have the means to purchase them.

Plus, you can't really pirate something that's already free. Not as easily as a commercial kit anyway.

S

Soaring

Yay! Free. poseable, and a Gundam! However, will you keep the pieces all on one page and not run them over the next? I don't have A4, I only have Cardstock :/

Master-Bruce

A4 is a paper size format. Very similar to US Letter size. Cardstock is just a term for thick paper or card/the paper's weight. Parts will not overlap another page but you couldn't do this with every part on one page. So there will be multiple pages to this model.

I don't quite get your drift.

S

Soaring

Ok, lemme make this more understandable...

You know your image of that Shin Guard? Well, one piece is going on the next page :/ And since I don't have A4, It'll come out like it's been cut :/

cantonesejim

he just said he's going to do the pages to print in US legal standard paper.

It looks amazing by the way, can't wait to build it.

Master-Bruce

Sigh. I said that tha page was still a WIP. You are referring to that dark grey round part? Yes it is running off the page but that's because that particular part has not been worked on yet or positioned.

Trust me buddy, I know what I'm doing. ;)

I didn't say aything about offering this in US letter size either. I said A4 is similar to US letter. Though I can make two versions. :)

Lex

Dollmaker
Soaring, it doesn't hurt if you scale the prints to fit letter size paper (but yea, A4 rules!!), I normally do it and sometimes even print 2 pages to a sheet.