Engine Pics & Train Stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
MilesWestern said:
On another note I have to say this: YOUR DAD"S LAYOUT IS A_W_E_S_O_M_E!!! :thumb: I love all the little details, and the fact that it's in my era! :) I can't get enough of that layout! How about a more detailed tour of that layout in the near future, please? :)

How did you make the roads?

Who makes the stoplights?

in the top picture, on the right, what color did you use for the trim on the building (The corner cafe) ??

And finally, how do you paint the buildings so sharply?
THANKS!, for the "solid gold" pic Miles!!!:thumb: :thumb: :D . **OK, to answer your questions: 1= i WILL do a layout tour when the layout gets farther along;) . 2= the roads are Walther's "street system", and styrene, both painted Polly Scale concrete:thumb: . 3= the stoplights are made by Bachmann, Walther's #160-42207:thumb: . 4= the trim color on the corner building is Polly Scale "dirt" :thumb: . AND 5= takes a steady hand;) . ALL but 3 of the buildings in the town were done by dad for previous layouts;) . the "water street building" i bought for dad on fathers day, i built one of the town buildings, and the gas station dad bought at the last show we went to. good thing dads a packrat, now that he has Parkinson's he couldn't think of doing the paint and work on those, shakes too bad:( . THOUGH I WILL SAY THIS, the streets WERE done by dad recently:thumb: , i just put the stripes on them today:thumb: :D THANKS!:D -Deano

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Hey Deano, and everyone else: Check out my new thread! "Chronicles of a Shortline" It's all about how my layout was (is still) being built! Hope you enjoy it! There should be more pictures as I have time to add them. Stop by and say "HI!" Also, do you have any old SP pics in your vast collection of photgraphs? Post them in there if you want! Thanks!

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Hey Miles...

MilesWestern said:
Hey Deano, and everyone else: Check out my new thread! "Chronicles of a Shortline" It's all about how my layout was (is still) being built! Hope you enjoy it! There should be more pictures as I have time to add them. Stop by and say "HI!" Also, do you have any old SP pics in your vast collection of photgraphs? Post them in there if you want! Thanks!
Umm...Miles...I WAS THE FIRST TO POST TO YOUR THREAD!!!:thumb: sign1 :D OH, and I DO have TONS of SP PICS!:D...but they are ALL patched for UP!;):D does that count? :D -Deano

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Hey Deano, if you haven't recently, check out my thread.

Oh, and I do like the progress on dad's layout. Especially like the cop hiding behind the side of the building

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
viperman said:
Hey Deano, if you haven't recently, check out my thread.

Oh, and I do like the progress on dad's layout. Especially like the cop hiding behind the side of the building
Steven, THANKS!, for the complement:D . BTW, Yes, i have been to your thread;) GLAD you found a trackplan you like!!!:thumb: check the questions i have for you;) . **Miles, sorry:( , dont have any SP "black widow" pics:( .

ratjag

Jan 13, 2006
uk
Wayne,Deano.:wave: Thanks for the compliments.:D I try to get things to look right although i'm not a "rivet counter". As you guys know it takes time,effort and lot's of frustration sometimes !!
Wayne---The pics were taken prior to abortive attempts to sell the layout . They were taken in an old storage building at the windmill I used to live next to.
Here are the others I took. ( you may notice a platform section missing in 03 & 05):curse: :eek:ops: :D :D

Deano, I agree with Miles!

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 97
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 93
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 88
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 89

Inkyrail

Sep 23, 2006
San Bernardino, CA
www.myspace.com
Alright Dean, I finally got it!

*drumroll please

THE REAL UPY 833! Sorry for the composure of the first shot- it was kind of taken on the fly...:eek:ops: Anyway I was at work and one of the hump consists was UPY 833, 834, and 835. I hope you like them!

Attachments

• HPIM0333p2.jpg
    HPIM0333p2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 86
  • HPIM0334p2.jpg
    HPIM0334p2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 90

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
I think you'd like this UP

my SD7 switching plastic pellets in the morning. this is the explosive (one day the worm gear and covering shot out and made the shell lift up off the chassis) bad luck SD7 i've told you guys about Its still looking fairly good though, for all the trips to the concrete floor its made.

the ground foam and ballast is all new. enjoy!

sd7009mediumug9.jpg

sd7004mediumyg7.jpg

sd7006mediuman5.jpg

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Josh M, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!:D . **Dennis, WOW!!:eek: GREAT PICS!!, of your layout!:thumb: THANK YOU, for posting them, REAL NICE!!!:thumb::D . **Josh G. OUTSTANDING!!!:thumb: THANK YOU SO MUCH!:thumb: , for the pics of #833!!:thumb::D . FYI, #833 is one of my favorite engines to run;) . its a Kato, i have installed LokSound in it, runs smooth as silk, and is one of my better detailed engines:thumb: . THANKS!!:D **g_e_c, I REALLY LIKE YOUR SD7:thumb: isn't that the engine that fell? if it is, you did a GREAT JOB getting it back together!!:thumb::D . announce1 OK FOLKS, thanks to Miles:thumb: , i got a pic of an FGE:D . here is my attempt at it:eek:ops: . i haven't dull coted it yet in case i need to re-due some of it. SOME DAY, i WILL get the rust look downtooth1 . :D -Deano View attachment 30417 View attachment 30418 View attachment 30419

Attachments

• DSC07230.JPG
    DSC07230.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 78
  • FGE_Solid_Gold_-402021_insulated_boxcar.JPG
    FGE_Solid_Gold_-402021_insulated_boxcar.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 74
  • fge.JPG
    fge.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 75

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
thats the one. I still need som roof details, and maybe new pilots if i can get my hands on any. I need a roof grab iron and this square shaped thing that was next to that grab iron, then it will be patched up.

nice weathering on that FGE reefer!

i found that if you draw rust colored chalk on the model, you can take a brush, and start rubbing it away, leaving a rust streaks big like the ones to the left of the door, or the smaller ones, depending on how much chalk you draw on, and how much you rub away. the same can be done on the rivets.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
THANK YOU g_e_c!!!:D to be honest with you, had you not mentioned the SD7 had taken a fall, i NEVER would have guessed it;) . LOOKS GREAT!:thumb: :D -Deano

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Yeah, you captured the look of the prototype quite nicely, Dean! Your quite welcome about the picture! :) I would suggest the lightest of india ink wash to subteky grime the door track and the rivets, like on the prototype, but overall, quite nice! :thumb:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
That FGE Reefer looks great.:thumb: :thumb: I like the rust you did. If you want to do the chalk rust marks, after you put the chalk on and brush most of it off, you take a brush and dip it in water and do strokes down the car. I learned that from the DVD i got.:D Yet to dry the new techniques yet though:cry: SOOOON Hopefully:D

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
MilesWestern said:
Yeah, you captured the look of the prototype quite nicely, Dean! Your quite welcome about the picture! :) I would suggest the lightest of india ink wash to subteky grime the door track and the rivets, like on the prototype, but overall, quite nice! :thumb:
THANK YOU Miles & Josh!!!:thumb: **Miles i thought the same after i see them on here, one right under the other, i think i will do a light wash on it:thumb::D . Josh, GLAD you are learning from the DVD!!!:thumb: PLEASE post how your work turns out after you have done some!!:thumb: . sorry Josh, but i have been down this weathering road for years, and STILL haven't mastered it:(:eek:ops:, one thing i HAVE learned is chalks and me DON'T work out:eek:ops: . i NEVER was good or liked doing chalks:( , though i have seen/knew others that had MASTERED THEM:thumb: . perhaps you will be one of them:thumb:. THANKS GUYS!:D -Deano

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
I hope so!!:D

So I only won 1 those C44-9W's that I said I was bidding on. The other 2 sold for $53.00:cry: :curse: (the one's with all those detail parts on them)

I won 1 of them for $40.00 and it was the one that did not have any speacial details. But at least I have another engine now and my BNSF Dash 8-40B won't look so alone pulling trains!!:D :D :D

Question: Does the bigger engine go in front (UP C44-9W and then the BNSF Dash 8-40B) or does it matter??

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
TruckLover said:
I hope so!!:D

So I only won 1 those C44-9W's that I said I was bidding on. The other 2 sold for $53.00:cry: :curse: (the one's with all those detail parts on them)

I won 1 of them for $40.00 and it was the one that did not have any speacial details. But at least I have another engine now and my BNSF Dash 8-40B won't look so alone pulling trains!!:D :D :D

Question: Does the bigger engine go in front (UP C44-9W and then the BNSF Dash 8-40B) or does it matter??
Josh, GREAT!!!:thumb: to answer your question, the engine size DON'T MATTER, normally what DOES MATTER, is what road it is, if you are doing BNSF, you can darn sure bet THEIR engine will be on the point;)...and vice versatooth1 . :D -Deano

Status
Not open for further replies.