Engine Pics & Train Stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
TruckLover said:
Question:

When were the DD40 and DD35 made and do they still run on the tracks today? They look like a modern engine but I too have not heard very much about them. All I know about them is what you had said in your previous thread.
ONLY the DD40ax is running today:thumb: . best to my knowledge ALL DD35's have been scrapped:cry: . i knew the specs on them, sadly i cant remember them at this moment:eek:ops: . when i find them, or my scale ruler:rolleyes: :eek:ops: (looks frantically for the ruler), i will post it:thumb: :D -Deano

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
there was a picture of a DD40AX in the lead of a train, but in reality, it was the old SP SD7 behind it doing all the work while the crew ran the train from the dead DD40's cab.... I thought that was a funny picture.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
green_elite_cab said:
there was a picture of a DD40AX in the lead of a train, but in reality, it was the old SP SD7 behind it doing all the work while the crew ran the train from the dead DD40's cab.... I thought that was a funny picture.
THAT WAS AT IRM!!!!:thumb: AND I WAS THERE TO SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D :D :D I LOVED IT!!! IRM is working on there DD40AX, all the brakes and cab controls work!!!:thumb: they are plugging along at her!!!:thumb: . i wrote about this in my other thread!:D -Deano

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Thanks Deano,

green_elite_cab said:

sign1 sign1 Can you imagine a DD40AX second or third in a train, that would look kinda weird!!

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
UP SD40-2 said:
THAT WAS AT IRM!!!!:thumb: AND I WAS THERE TO SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D :D :D I LOVED IT!!! IRM is working on there DD40AX, all the brakes and cab controls work!!!:thumb: they are plugging along at her!!!:thumb: . i wrote about this in my other thread!:D -Deano

yep, here is a link to the picture. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=56963

It was annoying me because when i put UP SD7 in, i'd get anything but, lol. I have a P2K UP SD7 i want to fix up. its hit the concrete alot, but it can still get it back together, once i figure out what the parts are called. there are these rectangular things towards the center roof of each nose that i need a new one of. i also need another roof grab iron that would over the ladders, and if possible i need new pilots for it. hopefully i'll have it looking good again.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hey!!

Although not a diesel person, that DD40AX is one cool locomotive!!! Was there a model ever made of it??? I might even go for it...!!!

Gus (LC&P).

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
g_e_c, here are two pics I TOOK of the event at IRM, it happened on July 15:thumb: . i was SO GLAD I WAS THERE!!!:thumb: :D . not great pics, but all i was able to get:D . i hope you get your SD7 back together:thumb: . would be ashame to waste a good UP:thumb: :D . **Gus, Bachmann spectrum made them, i have one!:thumb: (check 2 pages before this one:thumb: ). :D -Deano View attachment 30306 View attachment 30307

Attachments

• DSC02769.JPG
    DSC02769.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC02771.JPG
    DSC02771.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 120

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think Bachmann spectrum had a DD40x out a couple of years ago.

Actually U.P. didn't build them. EMD came out with the DD35 first to see if anyone was interested. U.P. was always looking for big power to pull Sherman Hill and other grades on the railroad. When they ordered the loco's EMD had started building the gp40, so they got DD40x instead. The S.P. had three dd35 cabless b units. I'm not sure if U.P. got dd35s or if all of their units were dd40x's. Basically the model numbers tell the whole story. A "b" truck is 2 axles. A "c" truck is 3 axles, so a "d" truck is four axles powered. The dd35 was 2 gp35 prime movers on a common frame with 2 "d" trucks hence dd35. The dd40x was the same thing with the prime movers of 2 gp40s on a common frame. The "x" in the model designation stood for experimental. Rail fans used to call them 6000 hp track straighteners. The U.P. has a pair of e units, the dd40x, the challenger, & the fef northern in their historic fleet. A few years ago before the S.P. merger the U.P. was facing a severe power shortage. If I remember correctly, the fef was being overhauled, but the challenger, the dd40, & the e units were all used in revenue service in the midwest to help meet the need. Also when ever the U.P. shops one of the historic fleet units, when it comes out of the shop and needs to be tested with a load, they will put it in front of a revenue service train, so a modeler wanting to run a dd40x or a challenger in front of a train load of double stacks is not out of line at all.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
THANK YOU RUSS!!!!, for posting that:thumb:. and you ARE 100% CORRECT!:thumb: EMD DID make them:D -Deano

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
"announce1 ONE thing i want to make clear, the picture is deceiving, the 90mac is ALOT bigger then the Dash-9, but in this pic for some odd reason it doesn't look that much bigger
confused.gif
"

It's because of perspective! The SD90 looks smaller because it's farther away then the dash9, which is in the foreground, and thus larger. A good use of perspective: railroad tracks into the horizon!

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi Deano,

A lot of cool big ones. Here is a more midget like loco. Two weeks ago I had the chance to ride one of Germanys few remaining narrow gauge lines. Most of them operates steam locos, the one I rode steam only! Can you believe, it was a present from my mother-in-law!!:thumb: Was a cool day and I couldn't have more luck with my in-laws!

Attachments

• DSC02265.jpg
    DSC02265.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC02267.jpg
    DSC02267.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC02290.jpg
    DSC02290.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC02301.jpg
    DSC02301.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC02308.jpg
    DSC02308.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 133

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
steamhead said:
Hey!!

Although not a diesel person, that DD40AX is one cool locomotive!!! Was there a model ever made of it??? I might even go for it...!!!

Gus (LC&P).

Yep there was, Check page 17 of this thread. Deano compared it to a 90' autoparts car.

You will have to ask him who the MFR is cause Im am not sure.

Inkyrail

Sep 23, 2006
San Bernardino, CA
www.myspace.com
Russ Bellinis said:
The U.P. has a pair of e units, the dd40x, the challenger, & the fef northern in their historic fleet. A few years ago before the S.P. merger the U.P. was facing a severe power shortage. If I remember correctly, the fef was being overhauled, but the challenger, the dd40, & the e units were all used in revenue service in the midwest to help meet the need. Also when ever the U.P. shops one of the historic fleet units, when it comes out of the shop and needs to be tested with a load, they will put it in front of a revenue service train, so a modeler wanting to run a dd40x or a challenger in front of a train load of double stacks is not out of line at all.
Yup. 6936 was just on an MNPWC earlier this month! Here is some good info on the DD35's and Centennials-
www.utahrails.net/articles/up-dd35.php
www.utahrails.net/articles/up-dda40x.php

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Josh G.:wave: GLAD you popped in on this thread!:D THANKS!, for the links:thumb: AWESOME INFO!!!:thumb: :D -Deano

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Tobias :eek: WOW!! GREAT PICS of that German narrow gauge 2-10-2!!!:thumb: not usually one for foreign power, but that steamer is slap AWESOME looking:thumb::D. i think your quite fortunate your in-laws are so nice:thumb: . THANKS!!:D -Deano

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Caliban, nice loco, but hardly what springs to mind when one mentions a Santa Fe-type. :rolleyes: I understand the need for two sand boxes, but does that little monster really have two steam domes? I like the ditch lights and the snowplow, too!.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.