Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] Part I

Discussion in 'The Caboose' started by Chief Eagles, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

Evening all. This three hours off from everyone else is nuts. Real early flight [MST] and middle of afternoon arrival to EDT. Non-stop so no changes. Enjoyed the desert and the birds. Later
  2. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

How about us guys that have a permanent three-hour difference? Well.... two hours in the winter months anyway.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Yeah, but we get to enjoy the desert and the birds all year long, so it's worth it.:thumb: :thumb:
  3. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

The Cracker Barrel near my house closed last year. Reckon us Minnesotans didn't quite "get" grits. :)
  4. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

I'm not that sure about the grits thing here. I think you can opt for either grits or potatoes. It's been a while since I was in a Cracker Barrel, or in any barrel for that matter...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  5. Ralph

How about over a barrel? :)

Actually I liked the Cracker Barrel for breakfast. They had a large menu with some pretty good items. I also appreciated the fact that this particular restaurant hired a young man with Down Syndrome to be one of the hosts who would take names and seat your party. He did a fine job. Since helping people with developmental disabilities find work in the community is part of my job I was pleased to see this fellow doing so well.
  6. Chief Eagles

Lucy, I'm home. Got in at 4:30 EDT. Ate my popcorn durning the Soprano's. Wife even watched it. She says they left it so they can run another series. Off to bed. Tired.
  7. hilldrum

hilldrum Member

Well,

Now that I have the diploma, I'm just gettin' the time to slow down and type. I plan on going to a Comm. College here and get a 2 yr. Carpentry degree later in the spring semester to give me some extended time off. More than likely in the mean time I'll sign up as a volunteer at the North Carolina Tranportation Museum working under rail ops, maintnence, etc. According to the papers they can train you on-site, and I can actually become a certified engineer (Probably for a fee of course). And I'll kind-of play it by ear from there.

--Hill
  8. hilldrum

hilldrum Member

And one more thing...

Since I have joined this here forum I have always wondered,
    Chief Eagles, where was that mugshot of yours taken at?

--Hill
  9. thumsup

thumsup Member

:cool: I just climbed out of the barrel, just in time to go to work :mrgreen:

Joe
  10. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

hilldrum, that's cool!

I volunteer at three museums/clubs. I've been a guard (conductor)/ticket examiner. Now I'll start as a ''firelighter'', then a stoker(fireman) and then if I do well hope to eventually take control of one of the mighty steam locos! For a while I also worked on a tour train as a chef/stuart- that was nice, got to see the whole country in 9 days on some of the trips, they had to sneak me once across the border into Namibia because I forgot my passport at home more than 1000 kms away- exciting stuff!! Only thing was I had to be cramped into a small cuboard with 34 plastic chairs- aah the days when I was thinner!

Anyway, I'm planning on opening my own hobby shop, in an hour I'm leaving to go do some research. I'll then have three businesses: Layout DVDs, Layout Planning (which will eventually include layout building) and then the Hobby Shop- and I'm only 21. Also, next week Saturday, my fiance and I are going to go look into getting a bond for a house- wish us luck ya'll!
  11. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

I had to replace the AC unit in my trailer yesterday. The old one was starting to act really wierd. It would work fantastic at night but wouldn't cool worth a flip during the day. The old unit is a 8,000 btu. I decided that as long as I was changing it out, I might as well upgrade and got a 10,000 btu unit. It has a safety plug on it that has a circuit breaker built in to it. If I have to reset the breaker on that plug every time the power goes out, guess how fast that plug will get lost and a regular plug substituted.

Good Morning.

Today's Weather for:
    Sundown, LA 71446-6114 6/11/2007

Sundown Fire Dept., Station 23

Heat Index: 78°F
    Humidity: 92%
    Dew Point: 71°F

So Far Today
    High: 75°F
    Low: 73°F
    Rain: 0.00"
    Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
    Gust: 0mph NNE

Today High: 95 Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 90s. Light and variable winds. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.

Tonight Low: 72 Mostly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the lower 70s. Light and variable winds.

[​IMG]
  12. Chief Eagles

Cabela's in Wheeling WV [their Grand Opening].

Morning. Off to Mom's down eaasst with Frankie. That means Abrams and southern fried chicken and eastern NC Bar-be-que [Hill will know what I mean]. :thumb: Hill, may be up your way one day this week. Got some "train work" to do this PM or tomorrow [installing smoke unit in Atlas dummy]. Later.
  13. pennman

pennman Member

Hey chief, You ever going to get to NAshville,TN?
    Been a hot weekend almost have my cold storage building done and even got a fewpieces of track laid this weekend. Trying to hold off the temptation of just doing itto run trains..
    No rain in sight,hope so soon,
    Yall have fun,
    Tony
  14. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

OK, regarding grits and the Cracker Barrel restaurant, yes, they do serve grits in the ones here in Arizona, and you don't have to ask. Now I don't know that much about grits, but those that were served to me this morning could have been eaten using a straw.:eek: They were watery and tasteless.:cry: Is that the way they're suppose to be? If they are, I can't see how anyone could brag about them. I guess I could have used them as a dip for my overcooked ham.:curse: :curse: No, I can't say that it was worth driving that far for a somewhat less than stellar breakfast.:rolleyes: I just thought I'd treat my wife to breakfast out somewhere different than we usually go to seeing as how today is our 47th anniversary.:mrgreen: I do hope my choice of a restaurant for dinner turns out better.:thumb:
  15. Chief Eagles

Congrats to you EZDays. Feel sorry for the wife, though. :rolleyes: Popcorn time. Watching Big Love on HBO. Got to run to airport tomorrow AM to cash in US Airways travel vouchers. Have to present them in person to get ticket.
  16. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Congrats Don!!! :D :D :D
  17. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Thanks, you're right, my wife does have to be careful and needs some words of comfort, but she continues to hang in there for some reason.:confused: :confused: I guess since we only knew each other three months before we got married, she's trying her best to make a go of it.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: After 47 years, I guess some people still don't think it'll last...sign1 sign1

Things weren't going that great all day long, but we hit it right for my choice for dinner. Had to drive about 20 miles to get to the restaurant, but it was well worth it.:thumb: :thumb:
  18. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Congratulations, ezdays hope you still have many great years ahead.

I'm only starting that ''Amazing Race" next year hopfully.
  19. Chief Eagles

Afternoon all. Had to run to airport to get ticket to Manchester NH. Reason I had to go to airport is I had a travel voucher [not FF miles] I had to use. You have to present it in person to ticket agent. Flying up there on Monday and driving down [1/2 hour] to Methuem MA. Going to all the trains stores in east MA on Tuesday. Fly home Tuesday night. Free room as got over 100,000 Priority points with Holiday Inn and free rental from National. Having to pay taxes on all the above. Not bad. Lunch time [past]. Later.
  20. Ralph

Don, congrats to you and the Mrs! 47 years!!!! Nowadays that should qualify you for some sort of prize! Good for you two!
    Ralph
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.