1:21 scale Millennium Falcon (hopefully)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You may want to use wood inside of your structural components at that size. The greebling potential of a model this size is astounding!! ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Reactions: xaero892

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Jun 10, 2016
Chichester
@zathros I'm planning on using maybe balsa or luan as previously suggested. I don't want it to be too heavy as it will be quite large but it will definately need something extra.

Thanks for the advice, I really value everybody's input as you all have a lot of combined experience.

Reactions: zathros

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I'd go with that Balsa, if you paint it with some two part hardener epoxy, it will soak it up and become very strong. It's much better to work with than Luan. I have been on sailboats 40 feet long where the Hull was Balsa wood soaked in epoxy between the 3/8ths fiberglass hull outside and inside, it is extremely strong with epoxy applied, and it's very easy to do. Also, you can do it when the part is cut to size. :)

Reactions: xaero892

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Jun 10, 2016
Chichester
@bigpetr due to the updated files resulting in a larger model, I am printing at 400% of original. I'm hoping to put plenty of detail in but we will have to see. Family life taking priority with a wife and 4 children.

I will hopefully be able to post another update soon.

Thanks again. :bowdown:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I have a wife and 1 child. If I started a project like that, I would end up only having me!! May the family be with you. :hide:

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
My family (one child) is supportive, because they know I have family on first place (not only my impression, wife actualy said it to me, so I can have inner piece without remorses when sit behing worktable;),). That is why my builds take so long.

When Makino and then UHU published their Falcon models I was sure Falcon (1:48 scale) will be my next project. But to detail it to my liking (=as close to original as possible) is gagantuouse task considering you have no plastic world possibilities (moulding and casting repeated parts) so from paper you have to build every single part. No shortcuts. It took Berszu "only" four years to finish his masterpiece. And he is fast and proficient builder. With my building speed (I am building X-wing for two years now and not finished yet) it would take me 20 years. So today I doubt I will ever build paper Falcon, but never say never:).

My next Sci-fi project will be one of this SW ship: Y-wing (working on 3d model), Tie fighter (http://www.zealot.com/threads/star-wars-tie-fighter-my-design-1-48.179938/) or Moldy Crow (working on 3d model).

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
@bigpetr : I know what you mean! :) Your post immediately reminds me of Tim Ketzer's magnificent Falcon scratch-build:

http://ketzer.com/MF_making_index.html

He righly said:

Tim Ketzer said:
I find there's always one "problem" when you build a model from scratch: When you first start it, it goes real fast. After a couple of days you already have something that looks like an unfinished Millennium Falcon. It's very rough, but since you've been working with big parts, you have an impressive model. Then, as you work along, the parts get smaller and smaller. You put more and more hours into the model but you don't really see as much progress. And weeks later, you still have an unfinished Millennium Falcon model. And months later: an unfinished Millennium Falcon model!

This is my all-time favourite quote when it comes to builds like that. :)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
:) Exactly.

I did, lets say, 25 complex greebles for X-wing. Falcon has 250+ complex greebles. Hence my 20 years of building time estimation:).

For example these two parts of wankel rotary engine are complex models itself and on Falcon are just two greebles:sadno:

EntexParts.jpg

I know you can simplify it, but this is not otion for me:).

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Jun 10, 2016
Chichester
@bigpetr Yeah, I'm kinda not looking forward to that part of the build. That's a lot of greebles. I think scratch building bits like the rotary is the way to go, but that'll just add to the build time. It' going to be a long process.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
:) Exactly.

I did, lets say, 25 complex greebles for X-wing. Falcon has 250+ complex greebles. Hence my 20 years of building time estimation:).

For example these two parts of wankel rotary engine are complex models itself and on Falcon are just two greebles:sadno:

View attachment 161398

I know you can simplify it, but this is not option for me:).

I had made Rhino model of a Wankel Rotary with the idea of making a paper model. Nor problem unfolding, but the gearing would have to be so accurate, and was complexso complex, I doubt anyone would even try to build it. Then writing the instructions, I don't have that many years of life left. ;)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Hey guys,
Just to let you know this project is still underway. I've been very busy in the lead up to christmas so things are moving very slowly.
As soon as I have something worth showing off, I shall post some pictures.

I fully understand how real life goes (then again we all do). So no worries. I am currently studying to be a paralegal. So, I have no time for building. What makes matters even worse, is that we were given a week off for Christmas, at which, I thought that I would have some time for building (at least something small). FAT CHANCE! Each of my professors gave me more than enough homework to keep me busy all week long. :headbange::headbange::headbange:
So with that being said, please take your time and concentrate on the things at the "homefront". We will still be here! :Drinks:

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Jun 10, 2016
Chichester
Ok, my work space is once again accessible so I have continued with the first half on the first page of the templates. Just the inner structure is going to take some time. The picture below is where i am up to so far with a single sheet of a4 card for scale.

20180203_171009.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
It's a start!