1:21 scale Millennium Falcon (hopefully)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
A little, I've been busy at work with a promotion and my wife has also been promoted so she has taken on more hours. This means I have to look after kids and take them to clubs. It's difficult to find the time to do what I want to do, but I'm determined to keep at it. thumbsup
I kind of know how you feel. I have gone back to school. I am studying to be a paralegal. I spent most of my free time with homework. I have no time for building.

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Ok guys, I have managed to do a little more to the model over the summer but not much.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to put this project on long term hold due to a new one.

My employer has requested that I build a large model of one of their vehicles to be showcased in the customer entrance. I couldn't really say no as they allowed me access to the vehicle cad model as a reference.

On a happier note, I shall definately be coming back to the falcon at a later date. :hammerhead:

Ps, this is just the bonnet.

Attachments

• 20180903_171510.jpg
    20180903_171510.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 14

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I am glad to see you back again.
CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is very cool that your boss has asked you to build a model of their vehicles to be showcased in the company lobby! That is one hell of an honour! I am looking forward to seeing how it will turn out!

xaero892

Mad Modeller
I am glad to see you back again.
CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is very cool that your boss has asked you to build a model of their vehicles to be showcased in the company lobby! That is one hell of an honour! I am looking forward to seeing how it will turn out!
Thank you very much for your kind words.
It's a huge honour, I work for Rolls-Royce Motor Cars. I just hope I can do a good enough job.
I may do a build thread for that one too if there's some interest.
I'm building a mock up of the bonnet to see how things fit together at the moment. I'm not happy with the lines showing on it. I may look for a way to hide them a bit.
Anyway, this is unrelated to the falcon so I shall say no more about it in this thread but before I go, this is what I'm aiming for.

Attachments

• 20180902_141611.jpg
    20180902_141611.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 11

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
It's a huge honour, I work for Rolls-Royce Motor Cars. I just hope I can do a good enough job.
I'm building a mock up of the bonnet to see how things fit together at the moment. I'm not happy with the lines showing on it. I may look for a way to hide them a bit.
Anyway, this is unrelated to the falcon so I shall say no more about it in this thread but before I go, this is what I'm aiming for.
I, for one, am very interested in this project, and how it will turn out. I would really like to see you start a thread on this. So, by all means, please start a new thread fro this project!!!

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member

Looks like fun...! Deffenetly open a new thread! From your overall pix, I really see no reason to have the cut lines on the hood/bonnet at all! It could be out of one solid chunk of cardstock, with the center decoration cut in, all the shaping ( and I am guessing you have time ) can come from the inner structural framework (double skin the body)! Then use some judicious burnishing and damp ie: almost dry water forming! That goes for almost the whole car from what I can see, and alot of the relief can be down a sharp body line that's already there... giving you time to deal with the tricky bits, around the grill, and trunk/boot!

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Unfortunately the bonnet is too big to use 1 sheet of a4. I was thinking of sticking a sheet of thin a3 over it if it will fit. Most of the body is double skinned so that will help. Better practice water forming.

Here are a few more pics, been working on arranging the front bumper parts this evening.
20180906_211816.jpg 20180905_213606.jpg 20180830_121019.jpg 20180830_121057.jpg so.... will start a thread shortly.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Building a one off like this will allow you to do some things you won't have to consider for a publicly offered model. Wet molding of parts, like Gandolf mentioned, can give fantastic results, and painting the cars with separate paint, instead of printed on, will also yield great results. that's a great privilege, I'll be following this thread for sure!! :)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Unfortunately the bonnet is too big to use 1 sheet of a4. I was thinking of sticking a sheet of thin a3 over it if it will fit. Most of the body is double skinned so that will help. Better practice water forming.
so.... will start a thread shortly.

Looks like you are half done already!

That's a shame! But I see you have access to A3 sheets! ( 11x17 ?) that would really make things easy... still split in half with half to an a4 sheet would not be small! also, I see you are using Blender..have you tried the blender to a paper-model plugin? does a way better job then Pepakura (on some things) and saves files as either PDF or SVG ( but you would need time and some instruction to learn it) keep it in mind for later personal projects...

Eagerly await!

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Hey Gandolf50, I didn't even know blender could make papercraft templates. I'm definately looking into that. Thanks for the info.

The bonnet above is just a rough/quick build to see how it all goes together. I will take a LOT more time on the proper one.