Star Wars Tie Fighter /my design / 1:48

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Hello friends,

this is what I am workning on those days. Tie Figter. I know there are Tie paper models already available:
1. great one from Shunichi Makino
2. nice Nnjatoes/Loefn design
3.UHU02 amazing Tie-Interceptor can be easily converted to Tie-Fighter.

But because I want to have as close as possible movie accurate model I decided, rather than adjust one of theese, to make another one (to seccond my almost screen acurate X-wing witch is slowly going to the finishing line :) http://www.zealot.com/threads/my-imcolds-x-wing-build.179015/page-6#post-1013156 ).

Right now I am working on detailed 3d model, witch will be then converted to paper model. This is current state:
ext1.jpg

Mainly basic shapes whitch I tweaked several times and compared to photos of original. As you can see it matches quite well:
comp1.jpg comp3.jpg
canopy frame testfit3.jpg ss1.jpg

WIP from interior section:
int1.jpg

This thing puzzles me. It is comparison of my model with Bandai plastic kit and it seem they have it wrong - arms too long. They shoud have it right with ther access to original models. So is there some mistake on my side? If so - where? My comparison with original model is clear.
bandaicomp.jpg

I also have detailed 3d model from Star Wars Battlefront game. They also have access to original model and their arm length is same as mine. But they have bigger "wings" for change:sadno:. You can not trust anyone on these:). I wish I had access to original model myself. Maybe I can get actual measurements from somebody. I am working on it:).

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Awesome start on this project! :)

There were many different TIE fighter model used during the filming of the OT. Maybe Bandai used a different one for reference. Maybe theirs is based on ROTJ and yours is based on ANH, I don't know or sure. If you feel uncertain do what I would do: Choose the middle route and extend your arms a bit. It must be pleasing ot the eye. :)

You can't imagine how difficult it was for me to get the Landram's proportions right. The vehicles changed its look depending on the lense that was used for shooting on location and in the studio. The outdoor photography made it look like a very loooong massive Hummer whereas the studio recordings turned it into a bulky VW beetle... Really strange effect. ;)

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Thank you guys and thanks for the tips Revell-Fan. There were different models, but all from the same mold. ESB and ROTJ Ties were repainted or recast ANH Ties. I will stick to best reference I have - photos of original ANH models. My model match with them:). I noticed, that on some original models wings are far appart. Wings were cast separately and attached on central rod going throught the body and arms. It seems that some rods were cul little longer. Models were not perfect and symetrical and all the same. They were made in a hurry.

Effect of lenses is realy confusing. If you do not have exact measurements of some part, witch you did not have on Landram I suppose, it is hard to solve the proportions. You did great job on it. I am lucky to have few known/widely accepted measurements of Tie, so I can match different photos quite sucesfully.

Ing. Spendlik

Mar 18, 2009
www.spendlikpapermodels.com
Wow...just a few seconds ago I was looking these pictures on RPF forum and I was amazed (and did not realized it is your work) - then I looked over here and there you go! Great start, looking forward to it, would be amazing addition to the X-Wing from Imcold.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Models were not perfect and symetrical and all the same. They were made in a hurry.
INDEED! :)

Just take a look at the mock-ups and props created for Buck Rogers. They are so simplistic (if not primitive) that they are perfect to be turned into a paper model. The unevenness in the models made them look natural and realistic. Nature is never perfect. When they made a completely symmetrical Darth Vader mask for Ep III it looked strange because it lacked the imperfections of the original; it was too sterile. I remember the making of when the production staff was so proud of that they had created a perfectly symmetrical Vader mask for the very first time. Well, it was an achievement indeed, however, it always looked odd. The audience does not notice it directly but subconsciously which creates a far bigger impression in the long term. :)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Thought you might ( as well as everyone else ) be interested in this link https://www.scifiairshow.com/
Has some nice shots you might find useful ...
Tie-Top.jpg
I ran across a real fanatic and he has studied all T.i.e.s and has come to the conclusion using his math and proportional skills that all T.i.e.s are the same in the center ball area, only slight size differences in the view ports a couple like Vaders. Makes things simple cast one center ball and mass produce them and change the add on's.;)

Reactions: zathros

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Thanky You Gandolf, I know scifiairshow Tie realy well. I am inspired by it. I will probably use their chair and minor details not visible in film or reference photos in my model.

Yes, center ball is the same. They use ball manufactured by Plactruct as a base. And If I remember correctly, all Ties came from same mold or from recast of one cast:). So no much room for diversity here. I do not study ESB and ROTJ Ties as much, but in ANH, all are pretty same detailwise. Minor changes on details and wing construction came in ESB.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Bigptr, that is some amazing Render work. I have some idea of what that took. I am awestruck, but know you had it in you, and much more. Wonderful!! ;)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
This will be one of the best, if not THE best Tie Fighter!!! This build thread, showing how you are pulling the lines from the pictures is outstanding, and very helpful to others. :)

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Jun 10, 2016
Chichester
Wow that absolutely astonishing. I wish I could cg model like that, there are so many things I would build.
Kudos on the skills. :King: