To Voyage to the Delta Quadrant (for the third time....) :)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Nice to see you are playing with your wires to great success!

It does take a different form of patience to paper-model around a bunch of electronics. I learnt that lesson after the Hunter-Killer and the EVA Pod..

Keep it up!

Reactions: Cybergrinder

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
Moving on to the primary hull, underside first. I'm persisting with my laminate with black paper technique, I find it the best for lighting up models.

Here's the centre part, partly greebled, I'll carry on with this as time allows.

IMG_20210118_190800.jpg

I'm planning on using the support piece which comes in the kit as a hub for wiring connections :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Every model you make gets better and better!! You can still go to a quite quite thinner on those wires. It would make bundling them into a harness much easier. :)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I have to use the wire I have. But Big Z is right, they make tiny thin wires now, and even circuit tape that can handle the load of LEDs. I lit an Enterprise D 20 years ago with 6 in florescent tubes, and grain of wheat bulbs... The florescent tubes could be on for 5 1/2 min before the thin copper wire powering them started getting hot enough to melt the styrene ... The tubes were in the nacelles of course, even in 1/1400, the nacelle supports were solid styrene, that I had to cut out channels for the wires.

Reactions: Cybergrinder

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That section looks the best so far!! :)

Telephone gauge wire is about all you need for what you are doing. Conductive Epoxy is a good way to make switches using paper. This can connect to pieces by sliding a greebled part, to turn the ship or portions on. You can run traces with Silver exposy, and do way with wire completely. I use this stuff fto fix circuit oards, where soleer would raise the trace. Most I.C.'s are attached with epoxy these days. :)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
Thanks for the offer Kolokonikov, I'm using a 7.5V 1000 mA transformer that I have attached a female USB to. Power to the model is them provided by a simple USB connection. The nice thing with this is that the low draw displays (Darth Vader's lightsaber, etc. ) can be run off a power bank/laptop. I've found that the more intensive models (my Enterprise E and now Voyager) need a bit more juice to light up nicely :)

On that point, current LED count for Voyager sits at 28, with the primary hull still to go :biggrin: