To Voyage to the Delta Quadrant (for the third time....) :)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Looks like it, but sometimes when lighting models, you just gotta do what works.

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
And now we have my solution to using strips (or tabs) and when they obscure windows (or other lighted areas). It's a particular problem on curved parts.

I used black paper strips when joining the pieces to prevent any light leak in the joint, and as can be expected, they block some of the windows. My OCD prevents me from leaving it, especially over a joint so...

IMG_20210131_114513.jpg

The selected area is placed over as stress ball! This allows enough support to pierce the black paper blocking the window with my craft (Xacto) knife and widen the hole to the original size :) The stress ball is also soft enough to mold to the curve when you apply the pressure, that way you don't deform the curve of the model.

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Thank you everyone, I've found a rugby ball shape is a bit more stable that a traditional round stress ball, the roll is more predictable and it's easier to predict when applying the pressure.

Blackadder

Jun 6, 2009
What is the size of this?

Is this a paper model kit or your own design?

Are you gluing the cutout pieces onto sheet styrene before you assemble them? It will make for a more durable model.

I've so many questions regarding this excellent model; I'm glad I finally had time to explore this forum.

Good Work.

Reactions: zathros

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
@Blackadder ; I wish I could take credit for the template, but no, it was designed by Christine.

It's a 1:800 scale, approx 45cm in length.

The template comes with internal supports, so I'm not gluing onto styrene as the supports are made a from a durable card. If you look back towards the beginning of the thread you can see the secondary hull ones, primary hull coming soon as I need to look at the lighting :)

Reactions: micahrogers