To Voyage to the Delta Quadrant (for the third time....) :)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
After completing the Elsa's and Thomas' I built for my own, and girlfriends kids it's time to get back to my roots. as in Sci-fi :)

The lighting dies in my Voyager I built a few years ago, and looking at it now with older (and wiser?) eyes I decided it's time for another go at this lovely ship. So, off we go, with improved lighting and skills (hopefully....:)

Here we have the secondary hull supports and proposed LED locationsIMG_20200825_174645.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The framing needs supports in the center corners to make sure that they are perfectly square to the backbone. Use a small square object on each one (or one at a time) and run beads of glue till the glue hardens and each former is square. Also, gets strips of maybe 120 lb. card paper, around .5" wide, and glue them on the edge of the formers so that when you apply the skins, they have something to grab onto, and the hull will not get the "Skeleton" shape, rliminates the needs for tabs. This also allos you to carefully place each hull section, doing themone at a time, and opposites, going up the backbone, so it does not pull to one side. You do the lights great, get your model game up. Each incremental shape will not let accrued intolerance catch up. In the end, this will allow your edges to be nice and tight.

I figured this early into the build, I would advise this. Then your ships will look as good n the day as they look at night! :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The care you are taking in these assemblies are self evident. I believe this will be your best model yet!! :)

Reactions: Cybergrinder

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Trick to soldering is lots of flux, sanding what you intend to solder, and lots of heat, and as little of solder as possible. The mechanical connection dictates the final solder. I try to wrap one aire around another, so I can slip shrink tubing on (which goes on first), and get a nice wire like solder, insulated. Of course, this will all be hidden, so who care!! :)