Pzkpfw. I Ausf. A, Orlik, 1:25

snake7

Dec 13, 2004
Israel
Hi
After summer vacation - back to the model.

Continue with suspension. In this tank it is unique and complex... I wonder what the reason behind this engineering idea was.
Nevertheless, front lever with amortization.

pnVblmHpp

A lot of small parts.

PGPg4T.jpg

Here is the comparison to toothpick

e910xy.jpg

Whole assembling broken to stages and after i built all of them, I didn't connect together for easy installation and adjustment in the future.
In addition, everywhere when possible i glued parts with superglue gel, for strength.

w1d6iD.jpg

Pay attention to part 551. You need to glue inside circle 0.6 mm deep, so it could be positioned on a lever pin.

9Itvh9.jpg

And this is dry fit for how it will be assembled together.

2ywCLn.jpg

I will not attach this construction to hull yet, because I need an alignment relatively to other bogies and I don't want for now that all the weight will be put only on two wheels.

Errors:
Part 524 labeled 424 on diagrams.
I'm sure part 534 must be glued on 0.5 cardboard, but it isn't signed with asterisk.

Last edited:

snake7

Dec 13, 2004
Israel
Thanks guys!

First two front wheels.
I struggled with those and still don't understand if it is my mistake or design flaw.
I cut inner ring diameter precisely, but inner strip was half mm big and afterwards wheels spokes didn't match in it. So, I was in need to adjust one by one.
By default, spokes are hit and miss, because you cannot assemble 100% perfect. But here it was a real issue.
Later will be more wheels and I'll do an experiment with first one to understand what's wrong.

jSD49y.png

Kypbbt.jpg

c23lrk.jpg

Errors:
Didn't decide yet :)

Last edited:

snake7

Dec 13, 2004
Israel
Hi all
Continue straggling with suspension.

kvlM2D.png

Assembled front suspension lever mechanism, except wheels.
Front rocker levers - designed well, but there was a mistake with mirroring part. Luckly it won't be seen.

jwW1Vz.jpg

cB3oOE.jpg

On2Lug.jpg

Rear springs - many small parts and very fragile construction, because connected only by one rod. Everywhere were i could, i glue with super glue gel for strength

W4LN9w.jpg

hbCJjN.jpg

Assembled together. Though connecting points are tiny (and that weird), supporting device (comes in the kit) with exact positioning holes was very helpful.

DRPl5O.jpg

Final result a bit fragile, but on base rods and with wheels attached - I hoped it will strengthen the whole construction.

QC8xfc.jpg

cNgKkD.jpg

glME7R.jpg

Now repeat almost the same with rear suspension :eek:

Errors:

Part 569lz and 570lz confused in design of gluing marks - eventually will not been seen.

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I, when very young, used to make leaf springs, wielding a 25 lb. hammer, with a double pointed anvil, and forge to heat the springs red hot, then banging them into the radius needed, I would make leaf springs for cars, trucks, and even huge 3,600 lb units, for the double axle earth movers. These parts you are making look like the real thing. It struck me as to their authenticity. The details is astounding. These are leaf springs, in all their glory, in miniature.

Wow! :bowdown:

Last edited:

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
This build is showing the complexity of a tanks suspension so well. And your build is impeccable as always. Great work.

Reactions: snake7

snake7

Dec 13, 2004
Israel
I gathered the will and got back to the model... At least it gives some escapism.

So, continued with rear suspension levers and springs

opSE5b.png

Rocker lever and tension mechanism. There was some odd numbering in parts: part 602 belongs to tension mechanism that has later group of numbers, but was in a rocking lever group. It is a ring that glued on part 365z.
At least there was no error with mirroring parts.
Supporting device help a lot with positioning tension mechanism.

zqHiAc.jpg

RLFA6C.jpg

Nbvo73.jpg

Springs

zB5J5R.jpg

RpVW7x.jpg

Assembled together. As with front one, here also final assembly was very fragile. Hope wheels will help to strengthen things

zxbBLX.jpg

Errors:

Part 602 in wrong numbering group.
Part 604 not signed to glue on a bristol, like it should.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The "Frog Eye" M.G. Sprites use 1/4 elliptical springs like that for the rear axle. Your paper ones like exactly like the real ones, and I mean exactly!! :)

Reactions: snake7

snake7

Dec 13, 2004
Israel
Thanks friends!

Wheels struggling is finished.
As I was afraid - all six main wheels were designed with errors. This excludes the other two bigger rear tension wheels.
I assume there was a mistake in wheel diameter corresponding to scale, so it was reduced a little... but all other parts were not corrected, so inner strip was too big by half mm and as a result all spokes were too long.
I solved it by first assembling wheel ring and spokes drum, measuring inner ring diameter and drum diameter, subtracting one from another and dividing by 2. This gave my real spoke length and it was short by third mm from original.
I cut all spokes corresponding to new calculation and it did the job.

Main wheel

hoVHvL.png

Rear tension wheel

NpoYTz.png

udGDXb.jpg

Pks8ei.jpg

4QaDP3.jpg

Erros:
Parts 619, 624 too long
Part 632 must by glued on bristol, but has no asterisk sign

snake7

Dec 13, 2004
Israel
Finaly finished with this disaster...
I have to admit this was the worst experience in building suspension the I had.
Apart from problems with wheels, rocking levers and springs had no strong points of joint and tended to break apart whole time of assembling.
Supporting rods base, despite that it was glued with super glue, fall apart to layers all the time.
Eventually I managed somehow to glue it all together and make the tank stand fairly straight, but wheels on spring now work only as decorative - the body stands on rocking levers wheels only.
Pay attention, to put dry fit front wheel first. Later it wheel be difficult, though you need to glue it last, to prevent putting all the weight on single wheel.

Also, fellow member on other forum pointed out that idler wheels must also be with rubber bandages, so I painted those in black.

You can see it here.

f5saKD.png

Wheels and connecting beams assembled.

FsX4Zd.jpg

hy1P6a.jpg

Everything put together.

hcJqN6.jpg

3nQ8qR.jpg

Next are trаcks. Wish me luck :)

Errors:
part 626 not painted as part 617, to imitate rubber bandage.

Last edited: