Paper Jams

shadree

PTJ-logo-temp-02b.png

Since September last year, I have been hosting Paper Jams, which are like game jams but for papercraft. It's been met with mixed success.

We are now up to PJ#005 "Redline Racers" and it is the third jam "hosted" on itch.io. https://itch.io/jam/paper-jam-005

Most of the discussion and activity has been happening on the Discord but if anyone is interested and wants to know more, I'm happy to answer any queries.

They have a PT Wiki entry for reference: https://papertoys.fandom.com/wiki/Paper_Jams.

shadree

I don't think we set a page limit. It's only the template size that's defined (which is 20 x 26.94cm area so it can be printed on A4 or Letter page sizes). Plus, any additional theme requirements.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I put my first project up:

;)

shadree

I think with 1 day left of this year, I may have to steamroll this next PJ theme. Being in Australia (ie the future) doesn't help.

shadree

I'm giving it another day. Here's the current candidate:
PJ006-square.jpg
This suggestion comes from the Discord. "Deep see exploration. Beautiful unseen creatures and submarines."
Let us know what you think.

Thanks for all the people who took the time to participate in Paper Jam #005!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Unfortunately I was unable to attend the Deep Sea Jam. I had a subject (the Monarch submarine from "Godzilla") but the texture was so bad that I was unable to pull it off in the desired time frame. I still have the model and may finish it one day. It's really easy to assemble but the texture needs to be redrawn completely and since my PC was occupied with streaming there was no chance to do it then. ;)

Godzilla-2-MonarchSubmarine.jpg

Nevertheless, I may have something for the Armour Up! theme but I'll have to see how it goes. It's something which has been on the list for quite some time. I'll tell you in the threads. ;)

shadree

I'm gonna copy-paste my idea for the theme for your reference:

Create a base figure that "powers up" by donning armour.
Either something like plate mail or something from Tokosatsu (Sentai, Metal Heroes etc) or riding a mech that looks like an upgrade of the base figure (eg rider mech, Gridman etc).

Mecha: Battletech [Tyco], Gaia from Godmars, Gridman, Denkou Choujin (or Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad), Mega Man ride armour, Ninja Steel Megazord, the way Teknoman transforms, Transformers Energon: Super Optimus Prime. (I wish I could remember that one where there's a robot inside a robot inside a robot)
Armoured heroes: Batman toys, He-man/She-ra, Kamen Rider Ex-Aid, Ninjor from Power Rangers, Ronin Warriors, Saint Seiya

Also, as usual, here is an inspiration board: https://www.pinterest.com.au/paper_jams/pj007-armour-up/

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ah, I see. I had something else in mind, like a heavily armoured ship. Thanks for clarifying. :)

Cool sub! Are there any subs in the resources?
The Monarch sub is definitely still in development. It is not abandoned but not of top priority for the time being. I have begun tracing the lines in Corel in order to get clean images which I then will use as projected textures. It is a tedious job but with patience it will be done - and will produce an even more pleasing result. ;)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks, I'll give it a look. What I need is a small Arleigh Burke Flt IIA Class DDG, so I can make my son's ship, DDG-83 USS Howard.
You are more than welcome! I am not certain if that particular ship is in the resource section. However, I wish you the very best of luck with your project! I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

shadree

Question for the group: Would you prefer each subsequent jam posted in this thread or should they all have their own thread?

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I like keeping everything together, so I would post the next ones here. :)