M4A4 Sherman VC Firefly, Halinski 1:25

Boris

Snake, is this a newer type of the cutter, with ratchet top handle? I have the older type, with thinner non-ratchet handle. It is quite usable but my fingers get tired after 5-6 pieces. How is the type you're using, in terms of comfortably of use?

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Snake, is this a newer type of the cutter, with ratchet top handle? I have the older type, with thinner non-ratchet handle. It is quite usable but my fingers get tired after 5-6 pieces. How is the type you're using, in terms of comfortably of use?

Good question, I was wondering the same thing! The model number of that Olfa tool would be nice. :)

snake7

I don't know if it is the newer, because i have it for over 15 years now, but my type is with ratchet handle, yes.
I tried to use it before and was not satisfied with results, but i think you just need to get used to it and find the optimal handling.
Now i used it in this model and it was easier that cutting everything with knife.
But i was in need to add two stripes of isolation band on top and bottom of rail, because main part moved too freely on it.

Zathros, I'm sorry, but i threw away cutter package, so i don't know model number.

Last edited:

snake7

I prefer to post process and finished details, so you can see the end assembling..
But road wheels take much time to assemble, so i decided to post some pictures before i finish.
As i stated before the key is conveyer assembling
Power structure finished

x2v60c.jpg

Outer stripes glued

LCx7sk.jpg

z4dcLs.jpg

Inner rings glued

NZnAtr.jpg

Outer rings assembled and glued

4kh1xh.jpg

ojveSY.jpg

And this is the step I'm working on now. You can see that it will take some more time :)

CFdqZB.jpg

Stay tuned!

Last edited:

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I still think you have that shrink ray there somewhere :cool: Wonderful work being done here.

snake7

Thanks Micah

Finally! I finished road wheels.
I must admit, that i really don't like repeated assembling and especially with tiny parts. And the irony is that i build mostly armor vehicles :)

Last step was in process

uQ79Sb.jpg

And finished

qX1ss8.jpg

Now i only need to put it on bogies and done.

Last edited:

snake7

Wheels are attached to bogies.
Suspension is ready!

2eoYXN.jpg

8zKcdx.jpg

Now, find a difference

AeMYL0.jpg
i41uhL.jpg

Frankly, I'm disappointed by the designer - how could he omit joining bolts between rubbing plate and suspension arm... Nah, just kidding! :)
The detailing is as always top notch! Almost like a real thing.

And after a long period with no visible progress, suddenly there is a huge change in a model.
It stands on it's feet!
Despite a complex suspension assembly, it attached to the body very easy and tank stands straight.

6dHV3P.jpg

GiuYHn.jpg

YGsEql.jpg

Remained to connect those already prepared links in a chain...
Stay tuned!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
The model looks like you could unbolt it!! What else can possibly be said. This is craftsmanship on the highest level! :)

snake7

Thanks!

Before i continue i want to add to the last step - you must pay attention when you assembling wheel disks. There is rear and front. Front is with drawn housings and bolts. Also, when wheels attached to bogies - put it with front outside.

Now, back to the links.
If you follow my thread from the beginning, you know that first of all i assembled links, because i decided that this is the hardest part in this model.
So now all the remained is to to connect them in a chain. Two track pads joined by one end connector each side.

9siFdW.jpg

and more...

v8nyAO.jpg

and a little bit more...

m27iAO.jpg

Done

1nzscJ.jpg

XHw6ZD.jpg

Dressed it on chaises and connected together.

gzC64B.jpg

zKtbOW.jpg

fgy2dh.jpg

3hAjKJ.jpg

The fact that i left idler wheels not glued help me to stretch chains as i wish, like on a real thing. Then i fixed it in desired position.

MCsE3E.jpg

I can confirm that you need only 81 links for each side :)

And... a little surprise. Suspension is live! Works like on a real things. I could do this due to specific design of Sherman bogies.

S9vCso.jpg

qx2MrZ.gif

It is the end of another stage in this model and end of two years of building.

Thanks for following and stay tuned :)

Last edited:

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Wow :surprise:wow :surprise:and again wow :surprise:. You did a fantastic job with this model. And it's looking like the real thing.
I think you have indeed shrink the original tank. :Bravo::King::Drinks:

snake7

Thanks, guys! :cool:

Now back to the fun, nonrepeatable stuff :)

Engine hatch door

xnASGf.jpg

DmXKP2.jpg

VCkCD1.jpg

sxlKLq.jpg

Simple, but you need to pay attention with hinges and dry fit the door, before gluing.
Also, there is interesting thing with handles. They not supposed to be glued on top, but rather inserted through holes and secured from inside.
When door is closed - they are hidden. When you need to open - just pull the handle and then the door, like on Tesla ;)

AjDn5b.jpg

nPFgzN.jpg

ktk9Sq.jpg

Handle pulled

HpnpEA.jpg