Launch when ready!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The assembly of the joystick was simplified. I opted for laminating the front sides to 1 mm card and painting the edges and the back sides black. This simplifies the build and saves two parts.

DSCF5962.jpg

DSCF5963.jpg

BIG thumbs up! :)

DSCF5964.jpg

DSCF5965.jpg

DSCF5966.jpg

Beware, these parts are TINY!

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The joystick was glued into place and the CI is put aside for a moment.

DSCF5969.jpg

DSCF5970.jpg

DSCF5971.jpg

DSCF5972.jpg

DSCF5973.jpg

The placement marks for the seat had to be slightly revised. The good thing: Joel's graphics have been applied straight and level. Phase 1 accomplished!

Next phase: The nose. :skull

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
INDEED! :)

Thank you all for your patience.

I have found the cockpit tub to be too complicated, so I changed the shape to a "bath tub" with a straight bottom. The step is gone. It was a side effect of the real CI mockup which had holes for the legs of the actors in it. When I pulled the front area down to make a closed cabin without holes the step was created.

Necessarily the chair had to be heightened.

You always have to keep in mind that the Viper mockup had nothing but the chair and a flashing light in it. The cockpit interior was a very crude thing which even did not have a seat:

Viper_Full-Sized_Cockpit_01.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
So much greebling potential. If you made a spare part in post #393 the "Y" piece, to allow someone to put those greeble tubes in with no background print, it would be nice. ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The back of the nose consists of two parts:

DSCF5988.jpg

DSCF5989.jpg

DSCF5990.jpg

The glue strip guarantees a smooth finish.

DSCF5994.jpg

DSCF5996.jpg

After the parts were joined the white areas are cut out.

DSCF6009.jpg

DSCF6010.jpg

The CI is glued into place.

DSCF6027.jpg

DSCF6028.jpg

The tub was shaking around a bit. I added some corrugated card to the bottom to fasten it up. A similar option will be added to the final kit.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The canopy assembly is pretty tricky but doable.

No matter if you want to use a canopy with clear "glass" or a closed canopy with tinted windows you'll need to cut out very thin frame pieces and glue them on top.

First you cut out the canopy part itself and use it as a guide to cut pieces of clear sheet that match the windows.

DSCF6013.jpg

Then you pre-shape the canopy.

DSCF6014.jpg

Flatten it again and cut out the windows. Be careful and patient and use a sharp knife. It is better to wiggle it through the paper instead of really cutting through it. Start on a sharp edge and push the knife down. Then move it a bit down the line and press again. Repeat this procedure until you are 2/3 through. Then turn the part around and again start at the sharp edge, wiggling towards the point you have already cut. This ensures that your cuts stop at the edges and don't damage the thin frame.

DSCF6016.jpg

Edge-glue the canopy together.

DSCF6017.jpg

Use a toothpick to apply glue to the frame.

DSCF6018.jpg

Attach the clear sheet pieces one at a time.

DSCF6019.jpg

DSCF6020.jpg

The edges look milky because the glue is still curing.

The kit comes with two canopy parts, one for a glass window version and one for a tinted window version without CI. You will need both to complete it. If you build the model with a tinted glass canopy you'll need to attach the frame pieces of the glass frame part and vice versa. Reason for this kind of layering: The glass part of the canopy sits a little bit higher than the rear part on the original miniature. The Revellogram Viper is wrong as the front and back part are flush. Moebius' Viper is basically better in that respect (minus the too prominent rivets they put on).

DSCF6021.jpg

DSCF6022.jpg

DSCF6023.jpg

One frame piece after the other is attached on top of the clear sheet.

DSCF6024.jpg

DSCF6026.jpg

You may enhance the effect by glueing several frame layers on top of the clear sheet. Rhaven suggested to use thin strips of paper to close the gaps between the frame pieces. You may do so if you like. I'll leave it this way for the time being to save time.

Next step: Completing the nose. Stay tuned! :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
It is really coming out great. One small bit of advice, either cut on the line, or inside the line, or outside the line. Chose your poison! :)

Reactions: Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I know - the frame is so thin though and I'm working with bad lights and no magnifiers!!! :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

17.jpg

P.S.: I just dry-fitted the nose parts - they fit! I'm testing a glue strip connection. CU later! :)

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You really got the nose shape right on the money. ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I'm still debating where to put the seam line of the cone that is inserted into the nose. At the moment it is on top because I thought that area won't show much when you look at it from a 3/4 perspective. Con: The line is fairly long. If I put it on the bottom it will be shorter. What do you think?

dscf5977-jpg.181128

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
From my experience I would put it on top because it will be looked at from the above most of the time, and on the top it will be more in the shadow even when viewed from below. To illustrate that - try to search for images of Viper. Majority is taken from above. :)

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack