"Flying Dutchman" - Ghost Ship - OREL Russian Paper Model Build

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The sails look good. I would only add this because of your incredible skill. Adding thread to the drawn in patches would add a 3D effect that would be just incredible. Now, I know that is asking for a lot. It looks fantastic, but the printed patches distract. You did too good of a job!! :)

Reactions: mtrappett

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
Santa Clarita, California
Incredible work. :bowdown:

I like the look of the ratty, torn sail. It fits this ship, but too much is a thin line and once crossed...
Yes, me too! I like the torn sail look, so that's the one I will use
Incredible work. :bowdown:

I like the look of the ratty, torn sail. It fits this ship, but too much is a thin line and once crossed...
Thank you too for the kind words Micah.

Reactions: micahrogers

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
The sails look good. I would only add this because of your incredible skill. Adding thread to the drawn in patches would add a 3D effect that would be just incredible. Now, I know that is asking for a lot. It looks fantastic, but the printed patches distract. You did too good of a job!! :)
That's a great idea Zathros. I have shifted course a bit and gone with the torn sails and furled up but I will see if I could still add that to the mix. I appreciate any feedback. I must say that the rigging is VERY challenging :yesyes::sadno::hammerhead::headbange::biggrin:

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
001.JPG

I wasn't too sure how to handle the sails on the stays, so I referred to my book :bowdown: Obviously, robands are not used for these guys.

002.JPG

These are the robands. They answer that old question of how are sails held to the yards. I decided to use single robands tied at each point. I used a little CA glue on each of the knots to ensure they stay in place. CA glue is ESSENTIAL!!! It makes life so much easier and does things that really make it worth while for paper models. Such as strengthening, and of course the instant hold.

003.JPG

I like these sails. I like the worn look.

004.JPG

This is one of the yards ready to be installed.

005.JPG

So. the sails are slowly taking shape. We have to remember that the ship was supposed to be under-water for a very long time :eek::skull I got ropes everywhere LOL.

007.JPG

I discovered the order in which I like to rig this model. Its as follows:

1. Bowsprit​
  2. Fore mast​
  3. Fitting Sails:​
  4. Lower​
  5. Upper​
  6. Top Gallant​
  7. Ships Bell​
  8. Rigging:​
  9. Lower​
  10. Upper​
  11. Top Gallant​
  12. Main mast​
  13. Fitting Sails:​
  14. Lower​
  15. Upper​
  16. Top Gallant​
  17. Rigging:​
  18. Lower​
  19. Upper​
  20. Top Gallant​
  21. Mizzen mast​
  22. Fitting Sails:​
  23. Lower​
  24. Upper​
  25. Top Gallant​
  26. Rigging:​
  27. Lower​
  28. Upper​
  29. Top Gallant​
  30. Anchors​
  31. Basically, work from the center of the ship, radiating outwards.​

008.JPG

This is how I designed and built the "furled" sail for the top gallant.

009.JPG

I brushed a little white glue along the edge and then used a pin to make the holes for the robands. I used the original sails as a guide for the spacings.

010.JPG

Now, time to sew the robands in place. This is a bit tedious, but if that bothers a person, don't attempt rigging. Rigging a model ship has proved to be the most challenging experience ever, and I love it LOL.

011.JPG

Lets get those lovely gaskets installed to hold up the sail. The shape of the sail gives a good form for the shape of the furled sail. Good job there was plenty of spare linen available! I used 8 gaskets as a standard. Note that the length of the sail is much shorter than the regular sail. Its about 1/3 of the length otherwise it will look to plumped out.

012.JPG

I used a small nail to hold each of the sails while I fitted additional bracing to the yard and mast.

013.JPG

Starting to look like the good old Dutchman ship :toast:

015.JPG

I have found that you really need great if not strong daylight that comes in from all angles. This is a huge help especially with the rigging. Also, eye glasses and magnifying head gear are other essential items. I switch between eyeglasses and magnifying all the time. I also use a chair that can be easily raised and lowered. Any amount of different tools like multiple pairs of straight and angled tweezers and a plethora of other tools are really needed. They don't tell you that either in the instructions :hammerhead:

016.JPG

The pin rails are all full at the bow. These are for the foremast related sails, and supports.

017.JPG

It gets VERY busy with all the rigging lines! I tried marking the lines with little bits of tape and numbering and even color-coding the ropes. None work very well. The tape falls off, the color codes fade as it dries and so on. I found the best way is to just focus on ONE line! and one line only. Examine the start and all the intermediate places it will touch on the way to its destination. Then, start at the most difficult end first. Like for example, the fife rail, bitts, or railing. Then, move through to the last location being careful NOT to cross the lines or you will need to start again. Don't try to do too much in one day! Spend time thinking about the quest. You may need to use a new technique to get the job done that will not be immediately apparent to you. Have a coffee! If you feel like you are losing patience or sanity. Stop! Step back from it. Work on something else for the ship other than igging, and then come back to this rigging problem. Remember, one slip of the wrist can destroy all your work!!

018.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

For those awkward areas that you just can't get any kind of ruler in there, I use post-its that have been either marked, folded or cut to the desired length. I keep them in a cup next to me and re-use them as needed.

001.JPG

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    754 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
No, it's not finished yet :blueface: (TIME)

I had to remove the rubber/neoprene ship-vice clamps as they split the other day, and almost caused the ship to fall over. That would have REALLY been a bummer :exploding_head:

001.JPG

Just a few pics to keep me going.

002.JPG

I was reading, and it made me realize, there is no ships bell. Well, I want one!

003.JPG

Seems like all the ships had them back then. It had many uses.

004.JPG

This is the smallest one I could get hold of.

005.JPG

It fits pretty good in the belfry. It was a belfry without a bell. Hey, even spirits need bells :hammerhead:

006.JPG

Also, the ubiquitous pirate flag. This is a nice one I found perfectly in scale, and is made of material.

007.JPG

Just had to trim it to shape.

008.JPG

This is where it will go eventually! On the top of the main mast.

009.JPG

010.JPG

Another sail ready to fit.

011.JPG

In between all the rigging, I take breaks, and paint these guys. This is them all after cleaning in soap and water and getting rid of any flashing.

019.JPG

Look at the rest of the ship showing through those holes! Ha! Looks good to me!

020.JPG

This is a "blurry" view of the ties. I fit them to all the yards.

021.JPG

Just brush some white glue to make it so you can cut the sail to the shape needed. Without the glue, its a terrible process.

022.JPG

Nice and clean material/linen cuts.

023.JPG

holes punched ready for the thread.

024.JPG

Lots of knots for the separate robands.

025.JPG

Wow, so zoomed in you can see the weave of the linen.

026.JPG

Parrals​

the is the fixing for the yard to the mast. Another question that people are unsure about with tall ships. The parral

027.JPG

Last edited:

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013

Parral's Continued​

028.JPG

I bought some parrals in a kit form. They work pretty good.

029.JPG

This is it all built up and ready to install on my ship.

030.JPG

031.JPG

This is another furled up sail for the main mast.

032.JPG

The parral fitted. This was tough to get in there and install :sadno:

033.JPG

034.JPG

Now onto the mizzen. This is the yard that sits at an angle on the mast. Again, I fitted it on with a small nail just to hold it in the correct position.

035.JPG

The crew so far! They are interesting to paint. Each character is different.

036.JPG

The mizzen sail ready to be fitted to the ship.

037.JPG

I used a different stich than I used before for the mizzen sail to the yard.

038.JPG

All fitted on the ship.

039.JPG

I found some cool looking barrels for my ship. This one contains rum for all the crew. I have more that I will be fitting onboard.

040.JPG

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
I like your bel, all the items and love you put in your build makes it pop. Its amazing the amount of time you put in this model this makes the diffrents between a model and a replica.

Reactions: mtrappett

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Thank you for including the "history lesson" and showing us the research that you are conducting for the amount of detail that you are putting into this project. I have to say that this is one of the most informative build threads that I have followed.
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Except for DORIS, I haven't seen any sailing ship with the detailing you have shown. I consider DORIS to be one of (if not the) finest model ship builder in the world. She is also a High School teacher. Her ships have interiors, with Gold Leaf on the statues she makes for them.

Check out this link to see some of her work. ;)

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
Wow thats not one ship thats a fleet of ships I never seen so much detailed ship together.
Thanks for pointing out to this site.

Reactions: zathros

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
Thank you for including the "history lesson" and showing us the research that you are conducting for the amount of detail that you are putting into this project. I have to say that this is one of the most informative build threads that I have followed.
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!
That is most kind, and thank you! I have learned so much while working on this model, and I hope that it will give others inspiration to try paper models :toast::yesyes:

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
Except for DORIS, I haven't seen any sailing ship with the detailing you have shown. I consider DORIS to be one of (if not the) finest model ship builder in the world. She is also a High School teacher. Her ships have interiors, with Gold Leaf on the statues she makes for them.

Check out this link to see some of her work. ;)

WOW!!! Doris's work is INCREDIBLE!!! Such beautiful details on those ships! Those ships that she has built are huge too! Masterful work :bowdown::drinksmile::)

Reactions: mijob

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
The most complex "rigging" or working with line prior to this project has been tying my shoelaces, honestly!

Anyway, back on the rigging, and related items. Some of the really hard to get to places for the rigging I used a fish wire. I made it simply from a 6 inch piece of soft wire. This was folded at the one end and the line tied to it. I then pushed that through the crows nests, rails, or anything where it was near impossible to get the line through. It was like a long, flexible sewing needle.

001.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

I painted all 12 of the undead pirates. I gave them a wash of stain at the end to normalize all the colors and to subdue any that were too jarring and bright. They have to "fit in" with the rest of the ship after all.

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

I spent some time arranging them around the ship in as best positions as I could. I used some heatsink tubing over my large tweezers to place them to avoid damaging the paint. I also used some blue putty in a very miniscule amount on the base of each to hold them in place temporarily. That way I can move them around o my heart's content.

011.JPG

Anchors

Last on the list is the anchors completion and fitting on the ship. I needed to make some loops of steel wire to go in each of the anchors at the tops.

012.JPG

I used a couple of triple-sheave blocks modified with a small hook attached at the end.

013.JPG

Had to dip the pieces in acid to get them in the black patina.

014.JPG

Wash off the acid carefully to stop them corroding uncontrollably over time.

015.JPG

This is anchor and eyelet ready for placement.

016.JPG

From left to right, pair of pliers with rounded nose that is great for creating larger loops. Next along is a pair of smooth angled pliers for flattening and smoothing. Next is a pair of sharp side-cutters.

017.JPG

One hook for each anchor.

018.JPG

Close up of the triple block with hook and lines.

019.JPG

Hard to see, but I drilled a tiny pilot hole for a nail to go through on each of the catheads.

020.JPG

Here the block is hooked up and the lines are threaded through the catheads.

021.JPG

Both anchors installed successfully. I also added a few barrels and a bucket to the mix.

023.JPG

Just a quick shot of some of the pirates below. Maybe there could a competition for who can find all 12 pirates? The winner gets a barrel of rum maybe :toast::yesyes:

024.JPG