"Flying Dutchman" - Ghost Ship - OREL Russian Paper Model Build

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Apples and Oranges. This model build is superb. The last piece was well engineered, with all the seams covered by the skinning pieces. This is going to be a much bigger model than I realized. ;)

Reactions: mtrappett

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
Santa Clarita, California
Apples and Oranges. This model build is superb. The last piece was well engineered, with all the seams covered by the skinning pieces. This is going to be a much bigger model than I realized. ;)
Thank you Zathros! I think this model is going to be the death of my eyes to be honest :bulgeeye: They were getting bad before, even with the new glasses I got for close up stuff, but wow, some of the very small, close-up work is taking its toll :)

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
Like I mentioned before, there is a TON of work to do in these what I have now found out to be, "Quarter Galleries". That is the correct naming.

These are the parts for the left hand turret.

Flying Dutchman - BUILD- Alpha 040.JPG

Start from the base plank upwards again. The construction is not the same as the right side turret, so just be careful.

Flying Dutchman - BUILD- Alpha 041.JPG

Its like building 4 small boats :animated:

Flying Dutchman - BUILD- Alpha 042.JPG

The upper planking is the hardest to get right.

Flying Dutchman - BUILD- Alpha 043.JPG

Again, you will need to carve and sand to make the planks and the cap fit nicely.

Flying Dutchman - BUILD- Alpha 044.JPG

These are the inside edge planks that go around the turret. They are needed on both sides.

Flying Dutchman - BUILD- Alpha 045.JPG

And now for the banding that goes around the turret in several places.

Flying Dutchman - BUILD- Alpha 046.JPG

There are 8 bands in total.

Flying Dutchman - BUILD- Alpha 047.JPG

Its coming along nicely! Now for the lower planking. These are all the parts needed for this piece. Just one at a time, or you will get confused as there are so many parts and they are all different.

Flying Dutchman - BUILD- Alpha 048.JPG

This is the port and starboard sides held next to one another so you can see what we need to get done here. The draft paneling in the upper part is where we will be adding all of the planking.

Flying Dutchman - BUILD- Alpha 049.JPG

The first lower plank being held in place with small pegs/clips.

Flying Dutchman - BUILD- Alpha 050.JPG

This is where I had to make a plank to fill the space.

Flying Dutchman - BUILD- Alpha 051.JPG

Just use some scrap card, and use the spare color paper that is supplied to make the new plank.

Flying Dutchman - BUILD- Alpha 052.JPG

I thinned some paint to eventually get it to match the existing planks. I just applied it with a cotton swab :noteeth: Now onto making the straps that go around the middle section.

Flying Dutchman BUILD - Beta 001.JPG

Next, the lower section has 4 'belts' that go around the body.

Flying Dutchman BUILD - Beta 002.JPG

Play the drum roll... :loudspeaker::toast: All four of the Quarter Galleries completed and ready to be installed on the sides of the ship! Phew, these were intense, and the most difficult part is next :eek: The fitting of these bad boys!

Flying Dutchman BUILD - Beta 003.JPG

Just a recap on the what we just accomplished. I used a highlighter to keep a track on each part. Without doing something like this, I don't hold out much hope for building these!

Make sure to hang on to all of the offcuts, as its so easy to miss a part that is shared on the paper or card and accidentally sling it in the trash :headbange: Believe me, I did it! Its also useful for making some strengthening gussets and those kinds of things as you work through the model.

I like to keep an eye open for lines that can be scored on the parts too to simulate real wooden planks.

Make sure to glue that color paper veneers to the shiny side of the card if you are using the laser-cut pack.

Paining the edges of the card and paper help to disguise the medium used for construction, and everybody will ask, "is it made of wood?"

Be mindful of how to build the separate assemblies off the ship! The plan makes no reference to that, and it is extremely important to the success of building the model. As an example. if you try assembling these Quarter Galleries on the ship, it could increase the complexity of the build by several factors, or even make it a near impossible task... just saying :yesyes:

Sadly, I do feel there is a chance that the model could be a success or failure if the builder doesn't follow the steps.

I sometimes paint with water to help the glue flow nicely into the joints and to help soften the card just a little to form a complex shape.

Try to avoid cutting the parts to fit the model. They are likely the correct size, and you need to look at the place you are fitting the part to for correct assembly first.

It may be necessary to cut parts into smaller pieces to go around compound curves like the turrets of the Quarter Galleries here.

I used a full sheet of 100 and 200 grade sandpaper on a flat board to make sure the bottom edges of completed assemblies were perfectly flat to assist fitting difficult parts.

Flying Dutchman BUILD - Beta 004.JPG

This is the first Quarter Gallery that will be fitted to the ship. It is for the upper, starboard location. This is where I needed to significantly modify the part to fit the ship. I used the sandpaper to grind the bottom so it is 3 planks deep.

Flying Dutchman BUILD - Beta 005.JPG

This is looking at where the part will be fitted in the upper section, 67.13P. I found that all the Quarter Gallery assemblies had to be significantly modified for them to fit within the marked lines. I had to get pretty medieval on them for sure :hammerhead:There is NO-WAY they are going to just be a drop fit! Lots of shaping and griding!

Flying Dutchman BUILD - Beta 006.JPG

The bottom corners had to be split, pushed, pulled and glued into the correct shapes to match the lines. Lots of test the fit, modify, test, modify loops. And there it is! Don't be tempted to just think ah, I will just wing it and glue it! That will be a disaster because the stern walks and stern decoration amongst lots of other assemblies rely on these being an excellent fit!

Flying Dutchman BUILD - Beta 007.JPG

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I feel that there is a high failure rate for this model because it is for seasoned modelers, who can fabricate what they need. Everything you stated about keeping every part and following the method, plus you own experience in building ships. as such is right on the money. I've seen so many model ships with wracked hulls as the builders just did not understand the symmetry of building such a structure. :)

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
By accident, I found what the Quarter Galleries look like on a full size ship. This ship is called "Vasa" and is in a maritime museum in Sweden. I was just blown away with the incredible details. This ship looks like it was used as a base for the Flying Dutchman design?

69670468.kaNUw90L.6EDC6116.jpg

The port quarter galleries of the 17th century warship Vasa. The galleries alone have over 70 highly ornate wooden sculptures of varying themes and size, all of which were originally painted in bright, vivid colors.

A quarter gallery is an architectural feature of the stern of a sailing ship from around the 16th to the 19th century. Quarter galleries are a kind of balcony, typically placed on the sides of the sterncastle, the high, tower-like structure at the back of a ship that housed the officer's quarters. They functioned primarily as latrines for the ship's officers, and in inclement weather they also afforded those officers a view of the forward sails of the ship without having to go outside.[1] On certain vessels and under certain conditions, the quarter galleries could serve as a firing platform for the ship's marines and sharpshooters during boarding actions. The galleries also provided a structure that was ideally suited for attaching decoration and often bore carved wooden sculptures, particularly in the 17th century.

As small, wing-like extensions of the stern, the quarter galleries were difficult to secure to the hull and in rough weather were sometimes torn from it completely.[2] Quarter galleries were only ever fitted on vessels of war.[3]

69670471.At4dPxwR.6EDC6229.jpg

69670479.NVVpkrBt.6EDC6271.jpg

69670486.T2jVgZZl.6EDC6309.jpg

69670488.D3ffpw7b.6EDC6315.jpg

Vasa_port_galleries1.jpg

I find all of those pictures fascinating. The model is quite close in design. This is the port side we are going to work on.

Flying Dutchman BUILD - Beta 008.JPG

I used a clamp just to make sure it stayed in position while the glue dried. Just a gentle pressure.

Flying Dutchman BUILD - Beta 009.JPG

These are the two lower Quarter Galleries. You can also see how you need to modify yours to fit.

Flying Dutchman BUILD - Beta 010.JPG

The strips on the hull need to be shortened a bit to make sure the Quarter Gallery fits nice and flush onto the side. The "face" cannon port surround also needs some carving away. It was just too small a cutout. This picture shows how it needs to be.

Flying Dutchman BUILD - Beta 011.JPG

Voila! Both of the Quarter Galleries fitted! I'm quite pleased with how they turned out :toast: This completes the starboard side.

Flying Dutchman BUILD - Beta 012.JPG

Now, onto the port side Quarter Galleries installation. Again, this shows what needs to be carved down to fit.

Flying Dutchman BUILD - Beta 013.JPG

Using the clamp again for support. Starboard side also completed successfully.

Flying Dutchman BUILD - Beta 014.JPG

Stern Walkways​

Flying Dutchman BUILD - Beta 017.JPG

These are all of the parts needed for the Stern Walkways. This was another interesting part of the build!

Flying Dutchman BUILD - Beta 018.JPG

The Stern Walkway base upon which everything with be fitted to. I scored all of the planking for realism.

Flying Dutchman BUILD - Beta 019.JPG

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The rear section of the ship was also the weakest. In battle the sides would try to get behind the ship to send cannon balls through that glass which would go right through the length of the ship, as all partitions on some of these ships came down for battle, and movement of the guns. I volunteered some restoration of the "H.M.S. Rose' when it was being restored, really grunt work. I learned a lot how ships of the 1850's era were made. That ship was used in the move with Russell Crow, "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World". This movie is said to portray life aboard those ships most accurately. If you haven't watched it, do, it's fantastic. I learned the piece that Russel Crowe plays on the Violin, by "Boccherini", La Musica Notturna Delle Strade di Madrid (The Night Music of the Streets of Madrid". (4:16 minutes into the video below they play this at the end) :)

Last edited:

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
:) You are very kind! Thank you!

My wife is sleeping on the bed next to me. She has final stage liver cirrhosis (fatty liver), type 2 diabetes, and has to go in for surgery in a week or so for some other major problem that came up recently. The way I have always dealt with the worry and stress is to focus all my attention on my projects. This is totally the case right now! I hardly ever leave this room in my body, but I am always travelling inside my mind, and I have been aboard the ghost ship. This is a special project to me. I am putting everything into it, and I can't see past it? I hope to never finish it, as there's much still left to do :wave:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
My wife is sleeping on the bed next to me. She has final stage liver cirrhosis (fatty liver), type 2 diabetes, and has to go in for surgery in a week or so for some other major problem that came up recently. The way I have always dealt with the worry and stress is to focus all my attention on my projects. This is totally the case right now! I hardly ever leave this room in my body, but I am always travelling inside my mind, and I have been aboard the ghost ship. This is a special project to me. I am putting everything into it, and I can't see past it? I hope to never finish it, as there's much still left to do :wave:
I am sorry to hear this. Both you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
HMS Rose.... WOW!! That is so awesome! I would have loved to have seen you working on that! That would totally be a dream come true working on such a magnificent ship for sure! That is amazing with the partitions coming down like that! I was not aware of that? I am totally blown away with the construction of these mighty ships from years gone by. My bother loves to work on steam powered engines, and he also loves the old steam trains. I find that I have always been drawn to these ships. I would love to see the Vasa that's in Sweden one day.

I haven't seen that movie Master and Commander, so thank you for posting that link! I will be looking out for that violin piece you mentioned too! That is very impressive you learned to play that Zathros! I know what I will be watching tomorrow! :toast::yesyes:

I labeled this model as being of Russian manufacture and design, but I looked at it again, and I see it is actually, Ukrainian! Under the current circumstances in the world, I was wondering if it would be possible to update the main title to Ukrainian? It was actually made in Kyiv.

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013

Stern Walkways - Continued​

I scored the planks to make it look more interesting. These are the base parts for the upper Stern Walkway.

001.JPG

I scored the panel lines in on the sides of the Stern Walk base too.

002.JPG

There is now a small step around the outward face. There is also markings for the uprights that will need to be made further down.

003.JPG

There are 4 parts per upright. This is the first one installed. They need a slight angle facing outwards.

004.JPG

There are 2 types of uprights to make, large and small. Be careful to match them up with their markings on the base. These are 2 of the larger uprights in place.

005.JPG

These are tiny pieces so be mindful of organizing them. You will also suffer from eye strain after making these... just saying. Just tack them for now until the upper shelf is in place :yesyes:

006.JPG

Be careful with the corner uprights! They have kind of a fancy angle going on!

007.JPG

Just use your eye to line these up as you will likely need to break the glue joints to reposition them eventually.

008.JPG

Looking good so far! I will only show all the steps for the lower Stern Walk.

009.JPG

It looks like some kind of 'mutated spider' :biggrin: Now to build the upper shelf. Note the part numbers are mixed up a bit according to the plan layout.

010.JPG

Here's the lower shelf complete. I glued the upper joints one at a time working my way around the assembly. Now to add the spiky bits all around the top edge.

011.JPG

These spikes are miniscule! You can see one in the middle being wrapped in its color veneer.

012.JPG

Now for the upper Stern Walk construction. This is pretty much the same as for the lower. Note that 70.3 and 70.4 are the ribbon edges that go around the base. Also be sure to scribe the panel lines again.

013.JPG

Not so many uprights for the upper Stern Walk.

014.JPG

The upper with all its uprights fitted. Now to build the upper shelf.

015.JPG

A close up on the joints. I use Elmer's Extreme for all these joints as it dries with a matt finish and blends right in. I used a glue 'gusset' around each joint to provide more strength. This one also has the spiky prongs on the top.

016.JPG

Super-tiny pieces!

017.JPG

Nice! Both of the Stern Walks completed and ready for fitting :wink:

018.JPG

Rear Figureheads​

These look like flying fish maybe or some sea serpents? They are pretty detailed and require quite some work. There are 4 in total located underneath the lower Stern Walk. I really enjoyed building these, and fitting them to the ship :biggrin:

019.JPG

Here are all of the parts for the figureheads.

020.JPG

Last edited:

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013

Rear Figureheads - Continued​

Each is created using 3 layers per figurehead.

021.JPG

There are 2 short, and 2 long figureheads. I always paint the base to prevent any card from being seen.

023.JPG

A quick preview of what they will look like.

024.JPG

Both of the side color veneers fitted, and adding the center piece.

025.JPG

These add the consistent look with the rest of the ships colors.

026.JPG

I scored the serpents scales and belly details to enhance the close-up looks. These are the wings or fins.

027.JPG

They don't mention it in the plans, but make sure to put an angle on the fins outwards a bit. They look pretty cool!

028.JPG

These are the side members which need to be fitted on the ship.

029.JPG

All of the Stern assemblies ready for installation on the ship.

030.JPG

Lets have a look at the stern again before all these pieces are fitted! Its nicely labeled where they all go! This is where you're grateful that you took extra care with the placement of the Quarter Galleries. See how they need to align with the transom.

031.JPG

First off, fit the upper Stern Walk. I just tacked it to start with to make sure all was well. It was thankfully, and no modifications were required.

032.JPG

Then, I fitted the 2 supports 72L & 72P to the port and starboard sides below the upper Stern Walk. These fitted great too!

033.JPG

Next, fit the lower Stern Walk to the ship. This fits perfectly too!

034.JPG

Now for the fitting of the Figureheads. You can use this photo to get the correct spacing between each one.

035.JPG

I found some really cool figureheads for some other ships out there. Some of these are incredible!! These are some on the front of the ships of course, but there were rear ones available too.

5ec8ba7d0af930ce8f7e15c26bf80dc8.jpg

There were books on the history of figureheads too.
266198a3174d6fd313bd74bf8e211cfb.jpgf8ece739d681e994754ef1ba434a1bb6.jpgf4755e5b3985b9b9441508d71a820937.jpg

Attachments

• ecec761686c6dbd27a9097e21d9f80b0.jpg
    ecec761686c6dbd27a9097e21d9f80b0.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2