Dr. Tetrode - Valkryie Build II - attempt with color.

dr_tetrode

Thanks for all the comments!

Sudsy, this is where you need to be careful to roll and glue while the glue is wet. I rolled them just after I glued the cylinders, and also, I used Aileen's Tacky glue, not our favorite, wood glue. The PVA is more flexible than the wood glue. And... not extremely tight roll.

Scott ;-)

Last edited:

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I've tried both ways, roll then laminate, and laminate then roll. Neither on works for me unless I'm rolling a 2 inch tube... Maybe that's why I never got into pot...

dr_tetrode

Moving on to more sub-assemblies. I had a devil of a time figuring out how to choose the landing gear. I had built the older Valkryie with the 4 landing skids in a tripod configuration with an extra in the middle back. When building this one, the bottom of the main fuselage had some skids and almost outrigger type landing skids. Reviewing the plans was confusing, since it looks like a mix of the old and new. Sooo, I decide to go with the old tripod arrangement, nose and two on the back fuselage. Tripods are more stable! ;-) So here goes. Laminate and cut out, and color the edges and glue the pieces together.

IMG_3194.JPG IMG_3193.JPG IMG_3195.JPG

Next, I know I will need some pretty thick braces for the wings when I do them, so laminate the pieces, then laminate them again, cut them out and glue them to each other for thickness.
IMG_3196.JPG IMG_3198.JPG IMG_3200.JPG

Result: Make sure you don't lose them! I put'em in a box, fro now.

IMG_3202.JPG

Keep cutting!

Scott

dr_tetrode

Next is the spars to the tail. First we use an embossing tool to score the fold lines.

IMG_3203.JPG IMG_3204.JPG

Then we cut them out.
IMG_3205.JPG IMG_3206.JPG

Using a clear box lid, we fold over the score lines.

IMG_3207.JPG IMG_3208.JPG IMG_3209.JPG

Now to reinforcements.... I found some flat wood sticks in Walmart and sanded them a little to narrow them, then glued them to the narrow part of the spar to prevent it from bending, during my handling of the model.

IMG_3210.JPG IMG_3215.JPG IMG_3213.JPG

I printed another sheet and cut out a piece to fit inside to help the sides.
IMG_3211.JPG

And... done, both are glued up and strenghened.

IMG_3212.JPG IMG_3216.JPG

Keep making!

Scott

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This is really coming together nicely!!!
Adding the additional panel (as well as other greebles) is what brings this model to life! So, go for it and add the panels (and other greebles).

Last edited:

dr_tetrode

Okay Okay! I agree with all of you, so here is the process and results.

Begin with printing out a second sheet, going to the garage in 14 degree weather, and spraying both sides with matt finish sealant. Then, waiting forever for it to dry, and finally, when brought into the house, listening to complaints of the smell! That spray was volatile! After an hour it did go away!... Or, I can't smell it any more.... ;-)

Begin with the end pieces, colored and laminated and now applied.

IMG_3221.JPG IMG_3222.JPG

IMG_3220.JPG IMG_3223.JPG

And so the 'greebleing' begins.

Scott ;-)

dr_tetrode

Begin by cutting out large sections, then color each edge, then cut the smaller sections, color their edges and then glue on, carefully!

IMG_3224.JPG IMG_3225.JPG IMG_3226.JPG

Some results, both booms, one with new layer and one without. I like them, with. When working with rectangles, mark a specific end of each piece before cutting! This prevents them from being glued on in wrong order or orientation! Don't ask how I discovered that one! ;-)

IMG_3227.JPG IMG_3231.JPG

Final result. Looks like the fuselage could use the same treatment, but, much more to do and since this is only my second real paper model, I am still learning techniques that work or not and what to look out for and plan for.

IMG_3232.JPG The major subassemblies, so far.IMG_3233.JPG

Now, wings or tail first? That is today's question. ;-)

Keep building!

Scott

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
The paneling really makes the model look more "realistic", and adds depth to the model as a whole!
KEEP U{ THE GREAT WORK!!!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Superb! I would start with the tail. The wings could break off during handling. ;)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Your 2nd real model, are you being real? Most people on their second model, well, it doesn't look like this. Some people with many models under their belt don't looks this, me included). You cut everyting so squared and assemble everything so well. Wow! :)

dr_tetrode

Hello,

Zathros, yes, my second real Paper model... Did a little building in paper, a Canon bulldozer, and that convinced me this was fun. Quite a few Plastic models in my youth, some model railroad modeling. The first real paper model is at (https://www.zealot.com/threads/dr-tetrodes-valkyrie-build.180705/), as you have seen. I am having lots of fun, too.

On to an update. Working on the tail as suggested. Middle of the tail, first. I had to print and coat another copy, not enough pieces on one copy to do all the panels.

IMG_3235.JPG IMG_3238.JPG

Note that the panels have a 'brown' on the edges that bled into the core of the paper, I am using Prismacolor pens, and they are juicy, I kind of like the look of it, so, will keep doing it.

IMG_3236.JPG IMG_3239.JPG

Next the outer upper rudders. Cut, edge color and glue and finally weigh them down to dry.

IMG_3241.JPG IMG_3240.JPG

Now the lower rudders, in progress, cutting while upper rudder drys.

IMG_3242.JPG

Enjoy the journey!

Scott