Detailed Thunder Fighter Project

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
This was a very fun project. This is one of my favorite planes. I have build this plane (as well as all of its variants) more times than I wish to (attempt to) count. This thread was intended to be the most comprehensible build thread for this plane (and each of its variants) for all who wish to build it. So, I encourage using this thread as build guide.

As for the name "Thunder Fighter", I believe that it is what it is referred to in Europe. However, in the US, it is referred to as a Starfighter.

If (and when) you decided to build it, I am looking forward to seeing how your build turns out. I wish you the very best of luck with it!!!
I'll try not to poke my eye out when I do build one...but It will have to be bigger than your 1/50, as that's far too small for me these days ;)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I'll try not to poke my eye out when I do build one...but It will have to be bigger than your 1/50, as that's far too small for me these days ;)
The original template (as well as all of the other variants) is in 1:32 scale (which is what I started out with, when I first started building it). I would recommend it.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I'll add my $0.02 worth, make sure that you print it as close to original size as possible, the plans are for A4 paper, and don't quite fit on 8 1/2 x 11. I am going to resize the plans to 95% and try it again.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I'll add my $0.02 worth, make sure that you print it as close to original size as possible, the plans are for A4 paper, and don't quite fit on 8 1/2 x 11. I am going to resize the plans to 95% and try it again.
95% does work. However, with the add-on parts, you will have to do the same, so that everything fits properly.
I look forward to seeing how your build turns out!

Reactions: Chuffy70

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
I'll convert your cents to pence for me and duly noted on sizing... £

I print nothing at home these days, as I use a local print and copy shop for my needs.

Very rarely work on A4 too, I have everything sized to A3, can't be bothering with tiny things these days - having said that there's no internal cockpit on the plans, so should be a straight forward build, however a cockpit would've been nice as RB's internals look very nice.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com

I print nothing at home these days, as I use a local print and copy shop for my needs.

Very rarely work on A4 too, I have everything sized to A3, can't be bothering with tiny things these days - having said that there's no internal cockpit on the plans, so should be a straight forward build, however a cockpit would've been nice as RB's internals look very nice.
Printing everything on A3 is a nice idea. However, since the template will be (almost double the size) you may want to use thicker cardstock. Since you are going to a print shop, may I suggest that you have multiple copies printed out, so that you can raise panels and add greebles.
I am looking forward to seeing how a larger model of the Thunder Fighter will look.

The internals are, I believe, available in the resource section. @Rhaven Blaack is good about putting his improvements up.
Actually, the cockpit interiors (for both the two seater and QUAD) and landing gear can be found on Martin Saenger's site www.paperaviation.de
With that being said, there are two versions for both cockpit styles. There is one that you can put a figure in (2.0) and one that you cannot (1.0).

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Printing everything on A3 is a nice idea. However, since the template will be (almost double the size) you may want to use thicker cardstock. Since you are going to a print shop, may I suggest that you have multiple copies printed out, so that you can raise panels and add greebles.
I am looking forward to seeing how a larger model of the Thunder Fighter will look.

Actually, the cockpit interiors (for both the two seater and QUAD) and landing gear can be found on Martin Saenger's site www.paperaviation.de
With that being said, there are two versions for both cockpit styles. There is one that you can put a figure in (2.0) and one that you cannot (1.0).
Thanks for that Chris, totally missed those along the bottom...:bulgeeye:

Just thought they were different Marks - interiors incoming

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Thanks for that Chris, totally missed those along the bottom...:bulgeeye:

Just thought they were different Marks - interiors incoming
No worries. I wholeheartedly understand. If you have any questions, concerns, problems, or issue, by all means, ask me and I will do what I can do ti help you with it.

Reactions: micahrogers

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden

You have to make sure that the original resolution of the pages is maintained. The pages were exported at 202,997 dpi. I suggest to open them in Gimp 2.10 and export them as *.pdf. That way you don't have to worry about any inconsistencies during printing.

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
You have to make sure that the original resolution of the pages is maintained. The pages were exported at 202,997 dpi. I suggest to open them in Gimp 2.10 and export them as *.pdf. That way you don't have to worry about any inconsistencies during printing.
I'll have to read your GIMP bits and bobs before I start doing anything like that... computers and I don't see eye to eye, as for a new app then I'm about as happy as a Cylon being called "a toaster!"

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I'll have to read your GIMP bits and bobs before I start doing anything like that... computers and I don't see eye to eye, as for a new app then I'm about as happy as a Cylon being called "a toaster!"
If you have any Gimp questions or problems don't hesitate to contact me. :)

Reactions: Chuffy70

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Many thanks RF, I'll have a fiddle at the weekend and see how. why and what it can dooooo....:yesyes:
How: Very simple.
Why: I don't know.
What: Exactly.

DO: INDEED! THERE IS NO TRY!!!

yo56-jpg.100903

:animated: