BSG TOS Viper Mk 1 1/48 by Revell-Fan

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I think I'm getting the hang of the preforming, and shaping the parts better. As long as the parts are big enough for my sausage fingers to work with. thumbsup
I would suggest going to your local hobby supply store and see if they have small lengths (about 6" or less) of thin doweling (between 6 and 12 cm in diameter). Those are great for helping with forming stuff like this. I have several of different lengths and diameters for such.

Reactions: micahrogers

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The engines look fabulous! The first version with the seam line in te middle of the red stripes was never released. It was only used for my alpha build. The pattern experienced some major enhancements and revisisons since then because a lot of the texture pieces was pure guesswork based on mathematics and eye-balling. The alpha build showed me where to improve the kit. You may thank @Rhaven Blaack for having me revise the seam lines on a few parts. My initial idea was to leave everything as is and cover up the seam by attaching a red decal. I was afraid to mess with the unfold because it could have damaged the geometry. But, thank goodness, everything worked in the end and paved the way for the bigger versions. :)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
The engines look fabulous! The first version with the seam line in te middle of the red stripes was never released.
I thought as much, but with my brain frazzeled as it was last night, by pain pills and neuro inhibitors both, trying to get some rest, I just couldn't figure out how to make the outer intake fit right and I finally just said "Okay, it's this or nothing...

micahrogers

Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I would suggest going to your local hobby supply store and see if they have small lengths (about 6" or less) of thin doweling (between 6 and 12 cm in diameter). Those are great for helping with forming stuff like this. I have several of different lengths and diameters for such.
I have these that I got at the Wally World and they were less than a single dowel at Hobby Lobby... 20 of the small 3/16 x 12, 4 of the 1/4 x 12, 3 of the 5/16 x 12, and 2 of the 3/8 x 12. Plus some square section dowels in 6, 7, 8, and 11 mm.
20200601_162954_resized.jpg

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

micahrogers

Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Ohh well a little crooked, but I'm learning... I'll try and find my caliper, and if I can't I'll save some money next check and get a new one... then I'll know how thick I'm laminating too.

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
You can still press the nose cone into shape. It is very forgiving. Just take it between your fingers, use your thumb to press from the inside and the knuckles of your other fingers to apply the anti-pressure on the outside. If you go around the perimeter you'll be able to smoot things out. I'mnot too picky with my builds, BTW. If I see that something is off I'll cut it apart and push everything together to make it "look" right. Often the LOOK is what counts in a presentation; remember the Millennium Falcon mockup created for ANH: they only built the right side of the ship and skipped the rest, including the radar dish. The head of my Colonial One is pretty wonky and far from straight. I noticed that too late and had to deal with it. My solution: I photographed her from certain angles which do not show the issue. That is another way to hide a mistake. ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
AWESOME!!!! CONGRATULATIONS ON A VERY FINE BUILD!!! I love the pictures! :Bravo: :Bravo: :Bravo:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
You did a very good job on this model. I too like 1:48 scale. It is indeed a good size to collect and a good size for dioramas.
Thank you for posting the photos of your build!