BSG TOS Viper Mk 1 1/48 by Revell-Fan

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Starting the journey once again. This time with a plan by our good friend Marcell, AKA @Revell-Fan.
The Mk 1 Viper in 48th scale. This will be another learning build, as I try to relearn skills I thought I had before.
I Printed the 5 main parts sheets, the cheap Canon TS 3200 printer I have tried to "shrink to fit", but i changed it to "actual size" , so I hope I won't have any scaling issues.
20200521_095841_resized.jpg
20200521_095911_resized.jpg
I am out of my workable fixative, so I'll do the build, then clear coat.

And here we go...

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
@micahrogers It is a very straight forward build. Everything goes together nicely. I too have very large hands (being 6' 6" and 300+ lbs). My number one suggestion, take your time. Do not rush the build.
I will be following this thread.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
VERY GOOD START!!! :)

You have done the right thing when you chose to print at the actual size. Several years ago (after the release of the Colonial Raptor) the topic A4 vs. letter size paper came up on the forum. It was then when I decided to make the layout on a letter size canvas first and then resize it to A4 for release. That way the parts are always printed correctly on both formats. As a side effect this procedure eliminates the need to produce two differently sized files for the same kit.

Last edited:

micahrogers

Staff member
That is very good advice @Revell-Fan, I thought I ran into a hiccup, but it was just the cat waling across my bench while I was out on the deck putting up the patio furniture. I came back in and part 26 was missing, then I remembered that I had cut it out, and the cat had knocked it up under my paint stand.
The front fuselage, and nose cone. 20200521_121444_resized.jpg
and the same group but with the part in question almost ready to be inserted.
20200521_130727_resized.jpg
more after I take the grand kids home.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
That looks good thus far! If you are going to put the cockpit interior in, you should cut the tabs away from the cockpit opening on the fuselage.

micahrogers

Staff member
That looks good thus far! If you are going to put the cockpit interior in, you should cut the tabs away from the cockpit opening on the fuselage.
No cockpit interior for me, those pieces are way to small...
Part 26 installed,
20200521_155031_resized.jpg
and making up it'd twin, part 25, hmmmm Gun Trench Greeblies? Naaa
20200521_155810_resized.jpg
20200521_160952_resized.jpg

micahrogers

Staff member
I am loosing it, I noticed that I had left the glue on the brush without cleaning it. Luckily it wasn't fully dry, so I was able to save the brush, one of a set of three master hobby brushes that sells for $16.00 a set... My Masters Brush cleaner won't be here till tomorrow, if Amazon can be trusted, so I use Dove soap in the meantime.
I got part 25 installed,
20200521_162424_resized.jpg
and I had to take a pain pill for my back, so this will probably be the last update today.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Rest. My right Rotator cuff is so bad, I can barely type.

micahrogers

Staff member
Rest. My right Rotator cuff is so bad, I can barely type.
I know the feeling, both of my knees are so bad that I can hardly bend them, but my back is what put me out. I have had 3 previous surgeries at L5 & S1, and am now suffering from Myelopathy and Osteoarthritis of the Lumbar spine. On a good day, my pain level is a 4 or 5 all the time, yesterday, before Gabapentin and Norco, I was at a 9, after the drugs I was at a 4 but very woosy. My back problems are so bad, that my doctors aren't worried about my knees.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
3.6" Titanium Plate in neck, C33 ruptured, C7, ruptured. T1,T2 ruptured, four interbody Titanum Lumbar cages, for a total of five fused, and 5 ruptured inoperable disc To be honest, I don't build paper models as much as I would like too, but I have so much to do with my cars and house, still finishing off the roof, It just causes too much pain, and I have to direct my energy to the most important things. I do have a couple of models I am dying to build though Today I just rebuilt my compressor today (portable Campbell Hausfield), got the Husqavarna Lawnmower going today too, and have to get my tools ready to finish off the siding. I have Spondyliosis too, and all the other related neurapathy, too much to list. I let me faith carry. You carry a cross, it makes some people miserable, and others empathic, in your case, empathetic. They're just paper models. When you don't enjoy it, stop, till you do again. There's no competition. ;)

micahrogers

Staff member
I understand, and I try not to complain, my wife takes it hard hearing me grunt and groan just to bend over and tie my shoes. I'm not even 55 yet, and the company I spent the last 12 + years of my life with said "We can't accommodate your disability at work, so you are on medical leave." And now I can't get anyone to answer my questions. It would be easier if I at least knew when I was going to get another check...

micahrogers

Staff member
the rear fuselage / engine core piece made,
20200522_171453_resized.jpg
and attached to the forward fuselage
20200522_171921_resized.jpg
and the front nose inside cone attached, trimmed, and edge colored.
20200522_172538_resized.jpg
Amazon was good to thier word, and my "The Masters" Brush Cleaner and Preserver came today.
20200522_173232_resized.jpg
And with that, I cam finally start using these bad boys.
20200522_173426_resized.jpg
The Army Painter's Master Class figure painting brushes. the large area brush, and the two drybrush brushes, and the Monster brush are Golden Talkon, the smaller white handle brushes are sable, and the black handle is genuine Kolinsky Red Sable. I ordered these back while I was working, and they finally arrived.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I understand, and I try not to complain, my wife takes it hard hearing me grunt and groan just to bend over and tie my shoes. I'm not even 55 yet, and the company I spent the last 12 + years of my life with said "We can't accommodate your disability at work, so you are on medical leave." And now I can't get anyone to answer my questions. It would be easier if I at least knew when I was going to get another check...

If you live in the U.S. you must file a Workers Com complaint immediately, or you will lse any opportunity. Your boss cannot put you on medical leave, if it was work related, now, if it wasn't, then you must immediately file for Social Security Disability or you lose the windows of opportunity. I would not waste a day doing it. Employers are not quick to give you info.

DO me a favor and P.M. me on this. ;)

micahrogers

Staff member
You are doing a very good job!
I like the brushes as well.
Those The Army Painter brushes are supposed to be among the best you can get for the hobby crafts, but $70 a set, or $7 a brush is expensive. True "Artist" brushes can run you much more than that though. A good set from Blicks Art is about $120 for 8 brushes, but those are all Red Sable. Right now I'm working on getting the engine block formed...

eagleclaw4935

If you live in the U.S. you must file a Workers Com complaint immediately, or you will lse any opportunity. Your boss cannot put you on medical leave, if it was work related, now, if it wasn't, then you must immediately file for Social Security Disability or you lose the windows of opportunity. I would not waste a day doing it. Employers are not quick to give you info.

DO me a favor and P.M. me on this. ;)
Also I would look into a good law firm that deals in Social Security Disability. And dont worry. You only pay if you win your case, as Social Security will turn you down on the first try.

micahrogers

Staff member
Also I would look into a good law firm that deals in Social Security Disability. And dont worry. You only pay if you win your case, as Social Security will turn you down on the first try.
All of that is already done, I've already had my fist interview with the SS office. It's just the waiting is driving me bonkers.