Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers Props

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
A new addition to the Buck Rogers prop collection is in the works:

Sherese's Deringer from "Plot to Kill a City".

The original CG model was made by Ken Masterson and can be downloaded from the SketchUp Warehouse:

FireShot Capture 240 - Buck Rogers Int The 25th Century 'The Plot To Kill A City' Assassin L_ ...png

@Rhaven Blaack sent me the file yesterday and I must say I was impressed. The proportions were pretty dead-on, only the shape of the handle was off. I reworked it and improved the texture. This is how it looks now:

deringer1.jpg

The funny thing is, Ken used the same image as a base for his CG model as the one I was going to use to make the papercraft, so his creation saved me some time. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ASC Mclaren

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
It looks good to me!
One question. for the beam emitter, are you going to have two options (one for thick clear plastic sheeting and the other printed paper parts)?

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Clear only. It's just a box, so it should be easy to make. ;)

I have come to the point to determine the size. I thought I had a number available in one of the auction catalogues but I was wrong.

So we need another way. Fortunately I came across a picture showing several Buck weapons side by side, including the main blasters. I copied the blaster into the Deringer file to see how they compare to each other:

deringer3.jpg

You can clearly see that something is wrong. The Deringer should be much smaller than the Blaster.

Importing the picture clarifies the situation:

deringer4.jpg

This sets the size. On to unfolding. :)

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Unfold complete:

1597849541308.png

This is the first 1:1 scale laser gun of mine that fits on ONE page. Of course, a second page is needed for the internal skeleton. ;)

Fun fact: The Deringer is almost exactly 1 inch wide. I like coincidences like that because these could indicate that the measurements are correct. It could well be that the original prop was made of a 1" wide piece of black plastic.

One of the most obvious characteristics of this weapon is that it doesn't have a trigger. So how do you fire it? Maybe there is a pressure sensitive spot on the handle but this could be pretty dangerous if you tip on it by accident. I'll add an optional black button that you can use to imitate a trigger. Just to be safe. And I know that sooner or later Rhaven would ask for a detail like that. ;)

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
9.jpg

Preliminary instructions are ready. I have added a "light bulb" and RB suggested a new mount for the emitter. He also came up with a new stand for the smaller guns used in the show. I have ported the texture from the previous ones over to the new one to maintain the design scheme.

Reactions: micahrogers

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Here is the link to Rhaven's test build:

:)

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
You are welcome! :)

Thank you very much for the test build.

In the meantime I have revised Adama's mike. It received a small but important texture upgrade. That was bugging me for quite some time, now it's good. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
As you might have noticed, I'm updating several older kits to "modern day" standards. The revisions reach from texture updates to resizing and adding new parts for internal skeletons and laminations. It might be worth keeping an eye on the kits and grab the updates once they are available. Since the files are being upgraded there is no need to keep the older ones. ;)