Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Yo fans,

time to make some money! :D ;)

Since Starbuck already got some Cubits I thought it was about time that Buck gets some Credits. Or Currency Discs, if you prefer.

To achieve my goal I went downstairs and switched on my unauthorized money printing machine that I kept hidden in my basement. Unfortunately the currency discs were designed in a way to prevent them from being copied that easily: They were coated with a special safety layer which was baked into the main coin piece in a special oven at 1,400°C for 68 hours. :( Hm. Not good. My oven's max temperature is 1,200°C.

Frustrated, I went back into my living room and examined the crystallic structure of the safety layer under the microscope to understand how it worked. After hours and hours of research I found out that the material was invented in 2369 by a former Swiss LHC engineer who accidentally fired high-speed electrons at a 1 m³ big block of corrugated card. BINGO! I immediately contacted CERN on Twitter and asked for some time to re-create the experiment before it was run in the first place. Major bummer #2: There is a strict hierarchy for experiments depending on their scientific value. According to their protocol established physicists rank on top, followed by rocket scientists and molecular kitchen chefs. Fake money artists like me rank right behind mad and evil scientists. I said, okay, count me in, please, and they gave me some time for my experiment. On February 29th, 2209. :(

Somehow I thought, the world did not want me to make some fake money. Weird.

Well then. I decided to continue and did what a real man does when he is confronted with such obstacles: He empties the trash bin. And there it was: something glittering, something wonderful... I reached into the bin and pulled a small piece of Christmas wrapping paper out of it - holographic wrapping paper..!

I rushed into my lab, put the paper under my microscope and was shocked: The paper had the same reflective abilities like the super duper hi-tech coat from the future! As long as no-one examines the molecular structure closely no-one will ever notice the difference. But hey, that would only be possible in 300 years from now, so who cares NOW?

A small sour taste remained because the single reflective elements were sligtly larger than the originals. So I took a picture of one element, imported it in Gimp and turned it into a Gimp pattern (simply saved it as *.pat and moved it to the Gimp pattern folder):

hf.png

I restarted Gimp and filled a circle of 4 cm diameter with the pattern, adjusted the colours, printed everything out and assembled it as shown in the

Five easy steps to make fake money

1. Printing:

DSCF2937a.JPG

2. Laminating:

DSCF2938a.JPG

3. Cutting out:

DSCF2939a.JPG

4. Glueing together back to back:

DSCF2940a.JPG

5. Finished Credits!

DSCF2945a.JPG

Next I will test them on Sinaloa and tell you what happened! :)

Last edited:

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Jun 1, 2015
Yo fans,

time to make some money! :D ;)

Since Starbuck already got some Cubits I thought it was about time that Buck gets some Credits. Or Currency Discs, if you prefer.

To achieve my goal I went downstairs and switched on my unauthorized money printing machine that I kept hidden in my basement. Unfortunately the currency discs were designed in a way to prevent them from being copied that easily: They were coated with a special safety layer which was baked into the main coin piece in a special oven at 1,400°C for 68 hours. :( Hm. Not good. My oven's max temperature is 1,200°C.

Frustrated, I went back into my living room and examined the crystallic structure of the safety layer under the microscope to understand how it worked. After hours and hours of research I found out that the material was invented in 2369 by a former Swiss LHC engineer who accidentally fired high-speed electrons at a 1 m³ big block of corrugated card. BINGO! I immediately contacted CERN on Twitter and asked for some time to re-create the experiment before it was run in the first place. Major bummer #2: There is a strict hierarchy for experiments depending on their scientific value. According to their protocol established physicists rank on top, followed by rocket scientists and molecular kitchen chefs. Fake money artists like me rank right behind mad and evil scientists. I said, okay, count me in, please, and they gave me some time for my experiment. On February 29th, 2209. :(

Somehow I thought, the world did not want me to make some fake money. Weird.

Well then. I decided to continue and did what a real man does when he is confronted with such obstacles: He empties the trash bin. And there it was: something glittering, something wonderful... I reached into the bin and pulled a small piece of Christmas wrapping paper out of it - holographic wrapping paper..!

I rushed into my lab, put the paper under my microscope and was shocked: The paper had the same reflective abilities like the super duper hi-tech coat from the future! As long as no-one examines the molecular structure closely no-one will ever notice the difference. But hey, that would only be possible in 300 years from now, so who cares NOW?

A small sour taste remained because the single reflective elements were sligtly larger than the originals. So I took a picture of one element, imported it in Gimp and turned it into a Gimp pattern (simply saved it as *.pat and moved it to the Gimp pattern folder):

View attachment 165296

I restarted Gimp and filled a circle of 4 cm diameter with the pattern, adjusted the colours, printed everything out and assembled it as shown in the

Five easy steps to make fake money

1. Printing:

View attachment 165289

2. Laminating:

View attachment 165290

3. Cutting out:

View attachment 165291

4. Glueing together back to back:

View attachment 165293

5. Finished Credits!

View attachment 165294

Next I will test them on Sinaloa and tell you what happened! :)

It's soo pretty. Shiny. Bet you 5 will get you 10 in the US 300 years from now!!;)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
@Cybergrinder, Maybe he didn't "no-ah" the going rates, so few Ark builders, and maybe like only one ark builder, himself. :)

Reactions: Cybergrinder

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
However, the ancient Tinder version seemed to have worked. He was able to bring quite a few couples together. ;) :D

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Jun 1, 2015
However, the ancient Tinder version seemed to have worked. He was able to bring quite a few couples together. ;) :D

The animals came in two by two and GOT BUSY!!! :biggrin: You come in for the shelter and stay for the company! The original cruise line!:Grin:

dirkpitt289

Mar 9, 2018
I have the kits for both the Battlestar and Buck Rogers blasters. I was thinking if I could use those to make actual props of bother using eva foam and styrene

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Howdee, fans!

You probably remember that it was pretty difficult for me to find out the size of Buck's and Hawk's guns. According to new references provided by our esteemed @cylongirl all Buck Rogers gun models (except for the poster gun) were resized. They are now 7 % larger than before which should bring them more to the actual size of the real prop. Measurements were taken from Jenny's resin replica, making the gun 30 cm long (the first was 28 cm long). The parts layout was optimized so that the file can be printed on A4 and letter size paper without issues. I have left the optional part to prolong the gun just in case. You will find the new versions in the Resource section. Paperaviation still has the old files; I'll have to contact Martin and ask him to replace them.

Have fun and enjoy! :)